Work in Progress

Rated R for Pirates

Posted by PDA on 17 Sep 2015, 19:34

I bought this for my first kid soon after he was born. That was 5 years ago. Periodically I put a few more pieces together. I'm hoping it won't look too awful as background for some 1/72 pirates that I don't have yet. It's surprisingly difficult to put together, and there's no way the kid on the box cover built that himself!

This should really be in the "work in slow progress" section.
PDA  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Sep 2015, 00:16

Great idea, :thumbup: and I like this PDA.There you go creating jolly good fun. A must for any Pirate Crew a Ten Gun ship. If you paint it you will lose detail. A light wash might do so it shows through. Another way much to late now,would have been to scribe the detail out with a pen. I must say that this will certainly hold my interest. Perhaps a Group Build of Pirate Ships might be just over the horizon. 15 Men on a dead mans Chest, Ho,Ho,Ho___ :-D Love IT. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Ochoin on 18 Sep 2015, 01:31

Interesting.

Will you paint it? The detail would be hard to preserve. Perhaps a wash with sepia ink?

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Sep 2015, 04:19

A light stain Varnish would do the trick. Gosh! This topic makes me want to go and find one. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by PDA on 20 Sep 2015, 12:56

Thanks for your thoughts, gentlemen.

This is a very slow build, even by my standards. I was initially thinking of painting the thing, and using accessories from model boats, such as railings, stanchions, ladders, and so on. But now that I can see the size of the thing, it's hard to judge the scale. I think 1/72 will look small; maybe 28mm will look OK. Perhaps I'll find that these 1/35 mates will look OK:

(That's Captain Dan, Billy Bones, me, and The Tomahawk Kid - name that tune!)
PDA  England

Return to Work in Progress