Work in Progress

Westair Pewter Roman Figures

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Nov 2014, 12:18

Although ornamental lead free pewter pieces sold in museums.I thought I`d paint them. I recently bought some lots on E Bay, mainly vintage toy figures from the 1950`s,and these were also within the lots,and I do have several of them. These three are 45 mm figures,and as I look at them and the others, i reasoned, because I was able to get the Seller to combine postage on four lots,I saved £12 so these cost me nothing. Sometimes to obtain the items you want JUNK is often bought too. So I have quite a few of these,and it seemed a shame to melt them all down, so I`m going to paint these three.
The outcome might be suprising, Good or Otherwise. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 06 Nov 2014, 19:28

They look like the surprise egg figures, but taller then! Looking forward to see them painted! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Kekso on 06 Nov 2014, 19:41

Yeah, I want to see them painted as well... don't forget to post Paul
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Nov 2014, 02:13

Here are a few smaller ones 35mm . I`ve soaked all these and the larger ones in acid to clean them. Most now have been undercoated ,but not the gladiator`s. The Officers pose is extremely good and I wish he had been in the larger size. The gladiators seem way to well armoured ,which is funny really them being all made of metal in the first place. I must admit when I posted the first three,I had thought there would be no interest in these old relics, but I`m glad there is a little.It makes me more keen to paint them. So thank you for the encouragement guys.

" Hi,I`m Minerva,I must say BB,nearly threw them all in the melting pot with the one of me that's worth thousands.He`s forging pound coins with the melt down,but the trouble is each one has a head on both sides and is a half inch thick and cost`s him 5 pounds to make."

"Now Min! That not true,its six pounds fifty two pence! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Nov 2014, 16:25

As you see they are still on the tins,but this is the only good picture of that pose.
The light is really bad today it being the case,Wet Dark and Gloomy!
Where my painting is concerned that could be seen as a good thing.

The shields were not easy for me to paint free hand because the round boss was not actually in the center ,but I am pleased with my first effort at painting these Roman castings from yesteryear. One must remember these are not model figures and the shield is totally wrong,for Auxilliary troops of that period. The feathers I decided to leave white because of lack of information concerning them.

What`s next? Ah! Yes I`m off to have Tea with the General by Marx! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 14 Nov 2014, 16:53

Wow Paul, really nicely painted
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 14 Nov 2014, 18:21

They look very good painted! :thumbup:

And that General, that is really a fun figure! :lol:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Nov 2014, 13:33

You are right Peter,about the fun guy British General. He is one of a set MARX the toy company made of World War Two, Mad Cap fighting Generals ,the others being German, Russian , Japanese,French and American. I`m trying to trace the others down so I can get pictures of them ,but I`ve only found the British Brigadier General at this present time.

MEANWHILE. A BLISTERING HOT DAY!

A Lull in the Fighting! L R D G, Somewhere North Africa 1941.

He`s saying, "Lt Beano, my Dear Boy,No!No! No! There`s no time for fighting. It`s Tea-Break. Can`t Belly Win a War with sipping warm water from Canteen`s. Need a Proper Brew! A Hot one too.What! What! Don`t Ya Know? "
"Yes General,but Jerry`s bringing up more ammo for his 88`s while we Brew-Up!"
"Yes,Yes! Yes! Sip! Sip! Sip! Well if the Balloon goes up. What! What! Remember, not to Draw Belly Fire.It Irritates the Hell out of everyone around you.What! What! Now go stand over there. Yes,about 200 yards will do.What! What!"
"Yes Sir!"
"Sargeant! Nice Boy that Beano.What! What!"
"Yes Sir! And Straight from Sandhurst."

Soon something is Whistling through the air. Followed by the sounding report,Thud! Thud! Thud! of distant artillery!

What happens next is altogether another story, and for another Time. What! What! BB
Beano Boy  England

Return to Work in Progress