Gallery

The Scottish Hebrides 1307

Posted by Flashcad on 04 Dec 2021, 11:04

This small diorama, (umm, minus the Bruce figure which is still on-order and hasn’t turned up yet), is a follow-up to my recent “King & Queen of the May” vignette. Set in early-1307, it depicts the allied Hebridean forces of Robert the Bruce as he prepares to return to the Scottish mainland and begin the long fightback against both his Scottish and English enemies.
His brother, the self-righteous Edward Bruce, Earl of Carrick, in a huff at what he sees as little more than hiring barbarous Norse/Irish Gallowglass mercenaries, can be spotted furiously polishing his sword at the opposite end of where I'm planning to locate Robert the Bruce.
I'll most likely raise the Lord of the Isles at the back-left (and Robert Bruce when he gets delivered) up by around 1cm so the heraldry on their shields can be seen better.

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND
On a dark and stormy night in 1286 Alexander III, King of Scots, set out from Edinburgh to visit his new wife, Yolande de Dreux. He never arrived and was found with a broken neck next day at the bottom of the cliffs at Kinghorn. After the death of his only direct heir, the seven-year-old Margaret, “The Maid of Norway” in 1290, Scotland was left without a clear successor to the throne. Thirteen rival claimants sought the Crown in what became known as the Great Cause. From among them, two main competitors emerged: Robert the Bruce’s grandfather the fifth lord of Annandale, and John Balliol the lord of Galloway.
In 1292, the Bruce claim was formally rejected in favour of John Balliol, who was duly crowned King of Scots. But Balliol’s reign was short-lived when England’s Edward I invaded Scotland in 1296. John Balliol, “The Toom Tabard”, (i.e. empty shirt), was forced to abdicate and the Bruce’s resumed their claim to the throne, although they still faced opposition from a majority of the Scot’s Lords; mainly the powerful Comyn family who had significant blood ties to the Balliol’s.

With support from the Scottish church, most notably Bishop William Lamberton, Robert the Bruce tried to rule Scotland together with John “the Red Comyn” of Badenoch for seven fractious years, but they hated each other with a passion and both had valid claims to the vacant Scottish throne.
In February 1306, Bruce finally lost his patience. Before the altar of Greyfriars church in Dumfries, he stabbed the Red Comyn to death. Six weeks later Bruce was crowned King Robert I at the Royal town of Scone.
Bruce’s actions were controversial, to say the least, and the Comyn/Balliol faction dismissed him as a sacrilegious usurper.

Claiming to be king, and actually being king, are two very different things.
Following the defeat and slaughter of many Bruce supporters at the Battle of Methven on 13th June 1306, the few survivors headed west to the Hebrides and Robert spent the winter of 1306 - 1307 sheltered by his kinswoman, Christina of the Isles, while he sought the support of the as-yet uncommitted Lord of the Isles, Angus og MacDonald.
Their allied forces landed on the mainland almost exactly one year after the murder of the Red Comyn at Dumfries and began the struggle to reclaim Robert the Bruce’s reign when they destroyed the occupying English forces of Aymer de Valence, 2nd Earl of Pembroke, at the Battle of Loudoun Hill on 10th May 1307.

Cheers the Noo... :-D
Flashcad  China

Posted by C M Dodson on 04 Dec 2021, 13:13

Very atmospheric and well framed pictures with those rocks.

Marvellous painting and a real ‘feel’ of the time.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by pipers on 04 Dec 2021, 13:25

Fantastic
White can i buy these miniatures?
pipers  Spain

Posted by Flashcad on 04 Dec 2021, 14:04

C M Dodson wrote:Very atmospheric and well framed pictures with those rocks.
Marvellous painting and a real ‘feel’ of the time.
Best wishes,
Chris

Thanks Chris.
I based the Standing Stones on those at Callanish on the west coast of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides, which are estimated to have been put in place around 5,000 years ago.
Flashcad  China

Posted by Flashcad on 04 Dec 2021, 14:07

pipers wrote:Fantastic
White can i buy these miniatures?

Unfortunately you can't buy miniatures such as these 54mm examples "off the shelf".
They're white metal kits manufactured by the likes of Romeo Miniatures and Pegaso Models, and you have to assemble and paint them yourself.
Flashcad  China

Posted by Peter on 04 Dec 2021, 18:02

Wonderfull work again! Can't wait untill the King arrive and we get some closer pictures! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 04 Dec 2021, 18:14

Great work as always! :yeah: :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Flashcad on 05 Dec 2021, 09:19

Peter wrote:Wonderfull work again! Can't wait until the King arrives and we get some closer pictures! ;-) :thumbup:

Kostis Ornerakis wrote:Great work as always! :yeah: :-D

Thank you both kindly... :-D
Flashcad  China

Posted by Ochoin on 05 Dec 2021, 10:11

Flashcad wrote:

I've been to Callanish several times. My mother's family were from Lewis, so it's sort of home.

Fabulous place. The light there is remarkable....."twilight" doesn't do it justice & the Scots' word "gloaming" gives you an idea.

The place is dead flat & full of peat bogs. Very few trees because of the wind. The standing stones (Callanish are but one set) dd to the other wordly feel.

slainte, donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Santi Pérez on 08 Dec 2021, 20:32

I can't add much else, Flashcad. This is another masterpiece for your fantastic collection. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Flashcad on 09 Dec 2021, 19:42

Santi Pérez wrote:I can't add much else, Flashcad. This is another masterpiece for your fantastic collection. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Santi.

Thanks Santi.
I'm glad you like it, but to be honest I reckon the scene is lacking a few Lowland Knights. So I started working on three more today - and I'll squeeze them in one way or another. Might have to place one right next to the Robert the Bruce figure that appears to be stuck in Beijing Customs, as they haven't cleared it, or sent the shipping box on to our wonderful local Customs office - as yet.
:( :neutral: :neutral:

Flashcad  China

Posted by Santi Pérez on 09 Dec 2021, 20:27

Flashcad wrote:...I'm glad you like it, but to be honest I reckon the scene is lacking a few Lowland Knights. So I started working on three more today - and I'll squeeze them in one way or another...

You are tireless, my friend. I envy your capacity of work. :drool:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Flashcad on 10 Dec 2021, 14:08

Santi Pérez wrote:You are tireless, my friend. I envy your capacity of work. :drool:
Santi.

It's the advantages offered by early-retirement. I get to do what I want, when I want.
Might do a bit more on these tonight and then leave them alone until tomorrow morning.
All three additional "Sepoy Mutiny" have been converted from the originals and I'm particularly happy with the new "Kilmarnock Caps" I sculpted onto two of the heads this morning. One blue, the other white.

These are just the basic colors I've blocked in of course. Those colors will change as I do more work on all six figures.
And I guess I better transfer any updates to the WIP section.
8)
Cheers the Noo
Flashcad  China

Posted by Flashcad on 31 Dec 2021, 22:21

FINALLY -- got this diorama set in 1307 finished.
All figures are 54mm white metal kits.
Reckon I've now got a nice mix of Lowland Knights and Hebridean Warriors together.
Looks like Robert the Bruce can sail off to the Scottish mainland tomorrow and reclaim his throne.

Flashcad  China

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 31 Dec 2021, 23:23

Wonderful work again!
My best wishes for 2022! :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Ochoin on 01 Jan 2022, 01:09

"A’ tilleadh a Hallaig anns an fheasgar,
anns a’ chamhanaich bhalbh bheò,
a’ lìonadh nan leathadan casa,
an gàireachdaich ‘nam chluais ’na ceò,"

Sorley MacLean
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Flashcad on 01 Jan 2022, 08:00

Ochoin wrote:"A’ tilleadh a Hallaig anns an fheasgar,
anns a’ chamhanaich bhalbh bheò,
a’ lìonadh nan leathadan casa,
an gàireachdaich ‘nam chluais ’na ceò,"

Sorley MacLean

Yeah, I should've thought of that and taken a shot with the morning mist floating across the scene.
Flashcad  China

Posted by Flashcad on 01 Jan 2022, 08:07

Kostis Ornerakis wrote:Wonderful work again!
My best wishes for 2022! :-D

Thanks for the good wishes Kostis.
Looking at the "finished" scene now; I reckon it would benefit from having two of the shields swopped over. And I simply must replace the spear carried by "Raven Shield Man". Unfortunately, once a white metal spear, sword, whatever, gets bent it's almost impossible to make it straight again.
I'll attend to these slight changes later tonight.
Flashcad  China

Posted by Flashcad on 01 Jan 2022, 09:39

Two shields swopped -- check.
Spear carried by "Two Raven Shield Guy" replaced -- check.

Next two photos were taken while a mist was rising -- check.

Flashcad  China

Posted by Iceman1964 on 01 Jan 2022, 11:05

Great work, a marvel for a good 2022 start !
Iceman1964  Italy

Next page

Return to Gallery