Gallery

1/700th age of sail Brigs

Posted by Fire at Will on 02 Aug 2020, 06:52

Yup, no duel, but a healthy sharing of ideas and encouragement.

Will
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Aug 2020, 21:24

RIGGING PATTERN

Yes Will, an interchange of encouragement :thumbup: that has a certain doorstep ring to it. :eh:Eh ?

i have been leapfrog painting from one ship to another today.
i mix my own paint up,and by doing so there is no waste.A thimble full goes a long way
and being cheaper from any other mixture,makes the cost of kits easier to bear.

:cowboy: So there's a kind of balance Pards. :sst: there sure is.

Todays cool colour mix.
A small squeeze of White Acrylic +a hint of White Glue and water.
+a hint of the yellow + and a slight hint of brown.
This gave me a sandy desert colour for washing over deck and ship masts alike.
:coffee: Putting a cost to it if i must of 1 Penny !

:coffee: Enjoy yourself. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Aug 2020, 02:18

i made mention before on the fact that upon my first sample three mast ship of war,i stuck her mainmast on facing the wrong way... GULP! :( O',Dear!

So i snapped the mast off at its base.
However now it would never stand upright and true.
Unless i fixed this silly mistake.

A quick fix was needed.
Two bracket supports were cut from the sprue.

They can be seen placed front and back of the mainmast,
and all was super glued into place very easily. :thumbup: Yip i can see it.

The stern mast was able to be glued into place after this repair.

This is an A OK Repair,that anyone could do if the situation called for it.

Lets take a closer, much lighter look shall we? :mrgreen: Ya! Go for it BB.

:sst: it is kinda cool. :cowboy: Sure it is Pards!
:read: Entered in the Log. Another Big Time BB, Mistake!
:winky: Now that was two thin slices of fun.
:-D Do you think it's a handy thing to explain and show?
:eh: Not hardly,now everyone will notice the repair.
:coffee: Well WingNut,that was the purpose to show my first big hic-cup mistake and rectify it.
The Frigate has been partly rigged out with rope and sail.
:sst: Just go back a page to view that if you wish 2...

:coffee: Until next time stay safe and be happy. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Aug 2020, 00:08

Plastic Toy Ship Bottom end Up!
Like Liberty herself, she too should have a copper bottom.

:coffee: It being no dire problem i'll crack on with it,and others too.
i find it interesting to show such reviewing details as one carries on.

Imgur is currently down.

So workwise i am simple setting more canvas sail, and pushing ahead
upon a thundering, high sea's Gale! :coffee: BB
:eh: i feel seasick.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Bessiere on 17 Aug 2020, 00:24

I can't for the next time I see a big sail ship in a movie when I can yell out: "will you look at the futtock shrouds on that!". Nice fix job there BB, I wouldn't know it was there but for your pointing it out. It was a very sprued decision you made. :drool: :eh: ;-)
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Aug 2020, 04:46

Always good to get a comment David,thank you for being responsive enough
to tap your fingers upon your keyboard. :thumbup: Good Man.

Well guys,being aware that by making mistakes , one gets to repair them. Which then can add up to having even more fun.Kits are far to expensive to be giving up, and trashing them over a little hick-cup of a mistake.
:mrgreen: Like a falling main-mast! Well yes by doing so i realized that there are several story lines i wish to take,along with minor conversion possibilities that were becoming unwrapped in my fancy. That is for another time and space though.

:coffee: Enjoy Yourself,
It's later than you think. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Aug 2020, 16:08

i bought these after making a good deal on E Bay. It was a good day for trading, and as i have not spent that much on toys this year for little o'll me i just had to spoil myself, and after saving a mint on postage costs the ships of sail really cost me nothing at all.
:sst: spreading bread upon the waters!
£3.50 combined postage :thumbup: if 'en ya don't ask.
:sst: you don't get.

Now the ships have resin hulls and will need drilling out for each mast and rigging twine too. They will also have high-rise metal masts which probably will arrive bent, :eh: That ain't good. Declared WingNut! So as a scheming BEANO BOY,out to play,i must deploy a stratagem concerning those high minded distinguishing features where lofty topmen unfolded sail after sail. :mrgreen: A jolly good place to hang out ones washing too.
:sst: coloured pegs and all.
:mrgreen: Yip! As long as the colours all read, England Expects!
:eh: i don't get it.
:coffee: This is darn good coffee. C U Later. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Fire at Will on 22 Aug 2020, 16:29

Having added the rigging to my Brigs, my small fleet is fully rigged

A close up of the Brigs, you will notice on some the difficulties of getting the tension right for the different standing lines

I now have to fit the ratlines, which on the Frigates means fitting them around the guns and rigging.

Posted by MABO on 23 Aug 2020, 00:00

Looks great, Admiral!
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Aug 2020, 01:22

They Look Really Great Will, :thumbup: Thanks for posting them.

It is taking me 12 times longer now to post pictures. A Windows Update went on and i found that i could not copy as i have been for many a year.
That is annoying for a Beano Boy, such as me. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Aug 2020, 01:31

Being rather busy i have only been able to type over the past few days,but took time out to present this to avoid this topic going stale like old bread or one of those hard ships biscuits.

............................ :coffee: A BEANO BOY MOMENT IN TIME

Below a ship taken as A PRIZE is mentioned in an opened book from The Great Library.
:mrgreen: Once the dust was blown off it.
Sir Percy,above seen in the picture taken on November 5th, a Sunday evening of 1899, was certainly surprised to find it. :coffee: As indeed i was.
:eh: But BB,you are the author? Yes that is very true WingNut,but i only realized it after my tapping typing finger had passed along its way.
Charley Spottit at that certain pin point in time, took the snap shot. Percy, never ever having seen a camera of that tiny black shape and design asked,Will it come out ?
... Charley Spottit smiled away,Of course it will.

Sir Percy now settled down in his favourite comfy leather chair beside a roaring open fire sipped his best French Napoleon Brandy, while Charley sat opposite in a matching chair that was a wee bit flat hard uncomfortable because of a spring having come through its bottom,and it now being nailed over by an inch thick wooden board._Spottit grins and bears it while gulping his Brandy down as if he were a thirsty dried out street drain. For such cast iron wonders were very well spaced out along the winding streets of those old fashioned days.
As he shuffles his bottom first one way than another appearing to be an ill fitting fool....it must be mentioned there is much more to Charley Spottit, than the average eye could ever reason a head upon.

............................................................ :winky: THE SHIP

This by any and all standards is not a mere Brig she being
a Unite class French Corvette L' CHATAIGNE built in 1756.

Being once all of 20 years old,but still having great success since 1776 against the merchant ships trying to re- supply the two British armies in America ,she was long sort after by the Royal Navy, and well worth the English Kings bounty of over £10.000 put upon her.A further bounty of £6.00 for each crew member killed or taken was also placed upon heads,that England's Topsy Turvy King George saw as cutlass wielding Pirates.
:coffee: Privateers most certainly.
:mrgreen: Privateer: given a Licence to be a Pirate.

However it would be in another war against the British,that this prize ship was claimed for England. And like Nebuchadnezzar of ancient Biblical times, that same King George the third was for sure locked up tight in Bedlam! :read: He even ate grass like good old ancient Neb did,but both still remained a King and retained their Kingdom. :sst: although both spitting them out, hated the worms that came up during their grazing!

UPON THE FIRST DAY... A NEW YEAR

Taken as a Prize intact 1st January 1798 by HMS FORTUITOUS . 'MARSEILLE' . where she sheltered safe and sound ( they thought ) beneath the guns of the old sea fort guarding the harbor. She having a crew of 221 ,carried 24 twelve pound long guns on her main gun deck and 14 nine pound long guns on her quarter deck. HMS FORTUITOUS with a crew of 118 souls would be heavily outnumbered, but surprise is best served up in full measure after a belly full of ships Grog. Dutch Courage, some call it even today.

The British frigate entered the harbor flying French colours and came alongside the corvette,Marines and crew boarded her without firing a shot, It being a hand to hand fighting situation for the French with whatever best came to hand. France was in turmoil and mistrust at that time and keeping all ones crew armed to the teeth was a something most ships Officers were deeply concerned about.So favouring their own skin they did not.

The ships Watch bravely tried in vain to burn the ship rather then surrender her to the British . The blaze nearing her powder magazine was soon exstinguished by the actions of Acting Sub Lieutenant Giveins and members of his boarding party. It was deeply regretted that Giveins was killed in this his first commanding action as he was most liked amongst the ships Officers and crew alike.

With the French crew confined and well guarded below deck, The two ships set sail. turned about without even a challenge shouted out from ashore.
Beneath the cold of the silent sea forts guns, and the half frozen sentry's noses they made way to the open sea.

All aboard were very rich men. One 5th share going to the Captain. The ships Master, Doctor,Officers and Midshipmen took each a share in two 5th's. Another 5th was shared by the ships Cook and Carpenter and 1st and 2nd Mates. The last 5th being divided up with the Company of Marines and ships crew.

The Ships Purser got nothing, :eh: Nothing? as he had bought his position from the crown.It was he alone that stocked the ships supplies needed from black powder to livestock and food and was authorized to make a tidy profit on stuff sold aboard ship. 14 oz instead of 16 to the pound was legally allowed.

THE DRY DOCK PLYMOUTH
Somewhere in the clamber of a British ship yard it seemed far to much was going on.
Re-configuration of her main mast delayed her commission ,and it was a size best suited for a 32 Gun rated Ship.
;-) i'mmmm.

:coffee: Over a cup of sweet strong builders tea,It seemed rather odd to me that this type of ship almost carried double the quantity of cannon that they were duly rated by,,, anyway.

Below her waterline she glinted by way of a deep shimmering copper sheet that put a glitter to every eye ball inspecting her bottom. :eh: that sounds very rude,crude in every way. Yes the worm eaten hull having been replaced with oak and was nailed over in that expensive stuff, making this ship very fast,and safe from sea worm.
:read: No relation to me. Declared the Bookworm.
:eh: Boy that bookworm is smart. :mrgreen: And fussy too, he only eats through BB's best books.

After conversion her name reverted to its English translation of the French,as in late November of 1799 she became HMS CHESTNUT a sixth rated ship carrying 24-32 pound Carronades on her main gun deck,with 14 of the same on the quarter deck with 4 - Nine pound long guns as chasers. Her powder magazine now enlarged would keep all those guns blasting away for ages while the powder monkeys ran to and from their assigned guns. Powder Monkeys; were children, some of which were born under the Guns. :sst: we'll leave that to your own imagination to work out. These women who served were never listed in the ships log.
The guns fired a 32 Ib ball,shell,chain or canaster. :mrgreen: Sometimes all combined together in one firing. :read: Only BB,would be crazy enough to fire it. :shock: shock! :shock: shock :shock: I'm not shocked!___ BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Aug 2020, 00:20

The box got whacked! courtesy of Royal Mail.
However the box art is pretty cool on these small boxes.

Emotive details upon the back help sell the dream to buy.

Always good to give an honest review for there are no
risky sponsorship's setting sail alongside me.

As i began to see it develop before my eyes i realised it to be the case...

...that the metal rack of rowing boats cover far to much of the good detail
upon the deck. So i'll leave them off with other unwanted bits and pieces,,,

that to be sure will stack up.

There be lots of breezy high flying national,
and indeed Pirate rated flags too with ones
inside stash of odds and ends.

The hulls are resin that will need drilling
out for shrouds that support the masts.

The ratlines take center stage above.

My unwanted heap of stash mounts up further still
with cotton bobbin and game cards too. However
brilliant stuff needed to play a war game of ships
slogging it out upon the table top of blue.
For the many, this will not be a surprise that there are
no rules included in this tiny kit. Yes you have to buy
the rule book separately.
Which is Piracy without a thundering broadside of solid iron shot,
chain or hollow black powder shell !

The smaller ship has to have this white metal piece fitted to the stern.
So will that require epoxy resin to stick it into place?

All the masts for both ships are white metal which bends easily.
So the real constructive game play is far from being staightforward at all.

THE MASTS !
If these ships capsize upon the table this type of mast will bend ,
and all the rigging will be shot. Loose as a large size belt upon a very thin sailor.

There are therefore three options,
1 make do with whats in the Kit,
2 swap over to plastic masts from another ship,
:coffee: or 3 make wooden ones.
Stay Safe,Stay Well. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Aug 2020, 21:17

Glue ,Paint and Water.

Another 17 Ships undercoated with my own home made undercoat paint.
Paint the guns next then glue these up plus another 9 Frigates and eight 18 gun ships of sail. 44 in total here, but there are 3 more Frigates and 11 eighteen gun ships fully painted...... then there are 3 capital ships 100 guns plus,and the two merchant vessels. i spent lots of money,but my homespun paint will save me from buying little expensive paints.

And that stuff above at £22.00 a tin. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 02 Sep 2020, 03:01

Part 1
Of My Repetitive Ship Stand.

Silicone Sealant squeezed into cold soapy tap water meant i could handled it in the bowl to form a ball then quickly press it into place.

This is a large size plastic cap.

Hopefully these being wider at the bottom will stop me knocking them over.
Anyway that is the thought behind making them.

After a couple of days drying out they can then be placed into cold tap water where they will fizz away all their hot burning bubbles. :mrgreen: Ya!
These will go clink,clink, like china wall tiles leaving no chalk on my mitts!

i need 20 of them and although rather crude in appearance they will be something that my worse for wear left hand can grip. My little ships will be blu tac'ed to each and every top. These will serve me well while turning them to ease my topsy turvy style of the painting.

:sst: you might need sunglasses.

In the meantime painting is still ongoing when
i can grab 2 or 3 hours of solitude while doing it.

:coffee: Feel free to come join us here on Benno's Figure Forum any time. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Fire at Will on 03 Sep 2020, 15:59

I'm almost there, with one exception the ships are all rigged and ratlines and sails added. All that is needed now is the Dutch flags and pennants.

THe exception is the free ship I got with WI, which didn't come with any ratlines or sails. I've copied the ratlines onto a transfer sheet and fixed that on some acetate sheet. I tried copying the sails, but they shrank when I glued the two sides together with PVA. I'm going to try again using contact adhesive instead. But it's a bit unforgiving of mistakes. For the sails on the forestays I tried superglue and contact adhesive before ending with wood glue. tI work because I used cotton thread instead.

A close up of a frigate

and a brig

I have also ordered some clear acrylic bases so they don't get touched too much.

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Sep 2020, 22:00

Thanks for posting Will,your ships look Splendid.

i use PVA Glue as a contact glue just by letting it dry tacky!
Then stick the two parts together. My Mrs B, also printed out larger
size sails too which meant i could trim them down if there was a need.

A Glue Stick the kids use at school might help out too,
one just rubs it on like using a crayon and stick stuff together.

As for myself all my supports are made and drying out fine and dandy.
:coffee: i'm still painting mainly the larger size ships on their sprue it is less awkward for me, and i enjoy it immensely between typing dialogues. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Sep 2020, 17:14

HOMEMADE BRIG SAILS

Two printed pieces were stuck together,
and i left one end longer then i needed
to prove it is all home crafted fun. :mrgreen: Ya!

Lucky busy bee me,my Mrs B,had some in her stash left over from when the Grand Children were much smaller than they are now. We had all sorts of arts and craft projects on the go then with them. They are all grown up now.
:coffee: So i play on my own and it is still fun. :eh: But you still have us Smilies BB.
:thumbup: :mrgreen: :( :cowboy: :read: :coffee: :sst: very true wingnut they all agreed.

While this fantastic stick for schoolwork was fresh and still wet,i fingered and thumbed a bow in the paper. Putting this memory into the paper will help later when each sail needs bellowing out with a full wind behind it.

After all it is but a simple thing!

I left it to dry while i carried on my way of undercoating four more larger ships while still attached to the sprues.

An hour or soon passed and it was time to cut the sails out.

Each one i cut larger than i needed so that each can be trimmed a little bit more if there is need for it.

There they are facing in one direction.

Than in the other one.
:read: So another short cut way is done and dusted!
:sst: finished.
:mrgreen: To help others.
:cowboy: Ride On to that Pards!
:coffee: Where there's a will,there is a way. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Sep 2020, 20:38

One of my Age of Sail Kits had only two printed out sails instead of the usual four,which was a real bind,but at least another thought out learning curb was fully realized and put solidly into practice before posting the results.

TOPSY TURVY ... Means upside down or indeed back to front!
:mrgreen: a perfect description of BB.

So what follows are the photographs i should have shown before.
Sorry about that,but at least i saved £9.00 UK Sterling by not
ordering them on Line.

Blank on one side.

Printed facsimile of the sails upon the other sides.

The pictures upon one side were in reverse pattern.

As long as one lines the sides up correctly sticking them together is a doddle!
Step back to the previous post to see the final outcome. :coffee: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Sep 2020, 13:33

Plan A Failed it was not stable enough because i would still far to easily knock it over while playing with cotton and sails.

:coffee: However another Plan B,was daily staring me in the face and would almost cost me nothing. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Sep 2020, 13:57

Plan B, super glued together 5 Yogurt Pots that gives me an extra hand while i string twine and sail.

It needed two fixing points so the yogurt pot support platform is ideal for that.

There it is blu tac'ed to that well spread out base,and it raises the ship up providing good access for me mitts to get to grips with what is to come.

As one uses cotton or twine to rig ships out leverage causes the fragile ships to move and topple over. So parts of sail and masts can easily break. i have already repaired three broken masts.

So i needed a third helping supportive hand.

This has now avoided any ship toppling over while i not a tie rope in place.
That fiddle-de-dee movement is solved.

At least by me. Have any of you out there needed an extra hand. BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery