Gallery

1/700th age of sail Brigs

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Sep 2020, 16:08

:sst: knot a tie! said the little button!
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Sep 2020, 01:32

More guns on these Frigates to pop metal upon means my clumsiness dictated that i paint them on the sprues and touch them up later after gluing them all together.

i might leave some in black later,but for now i like the metal look of burning hot guns. Yes the paint soon pealed off them when black powder and shot were let fly.

The painting is certainly quicker to do while holding the sprues as splash time arrives. :coffee: Cheap Thick Lense Specks help out too.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Sep 2020, 06:20

Ongoing Work Upon The First 100 Gun 3rd Rated Ship

:coffee: Welcome to another adventure along Warlord Games Nincompoop Ally

As can already be seen i decided to paint the parts while they were still attached to the sprue.In spite of this,It all went together fine. There are a few painting touch ups to do later.

To avoid snapping the masts,i reamed out each of their housing holes then easily stuck each into place without damage. The yard arms will go on next.

:coffee: There is a large grove for the mast to slid into,but being wide the mast will role easily because it is not a tight fit. :eh: Why? :cowboy: Because there is no fixing hole.
:sst: i wonder what bright spark designer thought that one up? :mrgreen: Incredible numbskull !

:coffee: Weakness identified and reinforced with a slither of plastic cut from the sprue.This gave three more fixing points for the spanker mast to stick to. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 09 Oct 2020, 00:52

My support stand of share eccentricity that i made for my needs has now had the bottom yogurt pot filled with Plaster of Paris,making it heavy upright and a useful little tool to use. i can turn it as easy as a Lazy Susan without it falling over.

I have further decided to print all my sails out with the kind help of my Mrs B. I found the ones that came in each kit,a bit to thick and stiff,whereas the sails i have already shown how to make are much lighter, and i want to work with them on all my ships.
So this will take a little time out of my coming weekend. i guess we all set our own standard in what hobby style work we do? Well at least being free as the wind that blows across my eventful days i certainly do.

So i thought to settle down here in this spot a couple of rather famous ships from history in order to color up this spot !

HMS Bounty, Captained by Lieutenant William Bligh.

Newspaper Cutting of the Mutiny of 1789 . Showing Fletcher Christian casting adrift William Bligh and 18 other men in an open boat. Artist Robert Dodd 1790.

HMS AGAMENNON Nelson's favorite ship, before HMS VICTORY
A 64 Gun 3rd Class Ship of The Line.

To look is to learn. and her rigging from the main mast is kind of interesting! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Oct 2020, 17:54

Over 40 Ships Sails took quite a while to print them out all will be double sided.
:coffee: The plans of Mice & Men comes to mind. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 13 Oct 2020, 17:36

I ordered l'Orient while ago because of this topic.
I plan to make simple vignette. The ship, sea and some land/rocks.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 14 Oct 2020, 01:04

That's a cool idea Dalibor. Stay safe, Stay well my friend. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Oct 2020, 00:52

:coffee: THIS PAGE
SEASONED WITH A BLUE TOUCH OF GUNPOWDER

American Frigate taking a pounding from British war ships.
i guess the Brig is also British?

To finish construction i filled the void in the plastic tub with Plaster of Paris.
This will give a neat solid structure. i covered all in glue and waited until it was tacky to the touch. Than placed it upon a good piece of paper card. Instant sticking on contact,i placed heavy books on top and left it overnight. Finally i dried it out by placing it on top of a radiator for a day.

Above shows the card that will protect my work table from scratches while i turn this make do support platform during rigging out each ship with sail and rope.

A stewing battle against the Dutch Fleet is brewing up nicely.

As the larger 3rd Class Ships need sticking at the two ends, the yogurt pot design is more than adequate for the bue tac area to fix them strongly into tight stuck place.

Yes all is ready to start the finish of a few ships.

It only cost around 5 Pence to make. :sst: that's real cool.
:mrgreen: Making do with recycled rubbish.

Our Printer

The Prize for Britain is listed below. The Dutch had Hulks strong out across the harbor so these were powerful gun platforms.

Dutch Hulk!
The First Battle for Copenhagen April 2nd 1801

Piling up before mass assembly. :mrgreen: That's BB,to be sure.

There are still quite a few more sails to print out and stick together. Well the Printer ran out of blue ink,which is a mystery to myself when i`m not printing blue upon anything.

Anyway guys i'm set up with enough to do throughout this Autumn and Winter!
:coffee: So my continued self isolation along with my dear Mrs B,will fly past.
Well i am a reclusive hermit-like anyway. Take care,Stay well. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Oct 2020, 15:52

Fred and MayBell, upon the table. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by steve_pickstock on 25 Oct 2020, 22:26

I happened to have 2 Airfix Victories which I used as 1st Rates. They need some work on the forward hatch, and they need to be cut down to waterline, but in terms of hull size they aren't that bad. The masts and sails need some work, as some of the masts are the wrong size. I don't have the sizes to hand but they're pretty easy to adapt. I'm re-doing the sails using Warlord ones.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Oct 2020, 12:01

That sounds pretty cool Steve,i'm all for conversions myself too,it is for sure one way any author posting here upon the Forum can freely express themselves along with making do with what they have along with what they add. Greetings to all upon this day. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Nov 2020, 01:32

i often think of the poor unfortunate fellows press ganged into the Service of that mad King George III,that would end up in this kind of thunderous hell. A battle at night.

Climax
La Orient,was an ocean going 120 Gun ship of the Line,famous for being the French Flag ship during The Battle of The Nile where she blew up in a stupendous breathtaking way as her powder magazine exploded blasting her blazing decks to pieces. As ship alongside ship pounded each other this event was the climax of the naval engagement and the official time of 10 pm was duly put upon it by the British dip and scratch pen of Nelsons Victory day.

August 1st 1791 and the battle of each ship continued all night the British lost 900,while the French loses were well over 10 times more than that. Nelson was injured in the head and the French Admiral Brueys, went up with his ship.

Napoleons army along with himself were trapped in Egypt, that perhaps is for telling upon another lazy day.

Above two more Frigates receive their yellow.

Well here i am late tonight as always trying to type my progress down, which has not been much due to The Great Plague from the East. Time just flies away from my days i only wish that the Bats would.

:coffee: Mrs B and i are OK though. i just ordered some fine fishing line for rigging use and it will be through trial and error before i know if it will prove its great cost of £3.17p a success.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Dec 2020, 22:36

Harbour Fortress. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Dec 2020, 17:45

With the fortress shown on its side in order to view the size comparison with that of a 3rd rated ship of the Line.

:coffee: BB
Beano Boy  England

Previous page

Return to Gallery