Gallery

Perry Miniatures, Warlord, Victrix ...or?

Posted by Auggie on 27 Jan 2017, 19:59

I have always been a huge fan of 30 mm Tradition Napoleonic figures.
I continue to buy them add some customized animation and build small vignettes.
However, I am looking for a new manufacturer/scale because I can't seem to find much out there in 30 mm.
So, I am looking at 28 mm, which could work with some 30 mm.??
My problem with 28 mm is that too many figures look like the legs are too short, the hands look huge and weapons look out of scale.
The members here are doing a superb job at painting and creating wonderful dioramas using 28 mm.
Could some of the members post some thoughts on their favourite manufacturers. Which ones have the best proportions, detail etc. Napoleonic preferred.
Thanks so much.
Cheers,
Auggie
Auggie  Canada

Posted by Peter on 27 Jan 2017, 22:14

This is a nice question for Gerry! Or was it Perry? :eh: :joker:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by gerry7944 on 28 Jan 2017, 01:56

Auggie wrote:I have always been a huge fan of 30 mm Tradition Napoleonic figures.
I continue to buy them add some customized animation and build small vignettes.
However, I am looking for a new manufacturer/scale because I can't seem to find much out there in 30 mm.
So, I am looking at 28 mm, which could work with some 30 mm.??
My problem with 28 mm is that too many figures look like the legs are too short, the hands look huge and weapons look out of scale.
The members here are doing a superb job at painting and creating wonderful dioramas using 28 mm.
Could some of the members post some thoughts on their favourite manufacturers. Which ones have the best proportions, detail etc. Napoleonic preferred.
Thanks so much.
Cheers,
Auggie

Auggie

As you can probably tell I am a huge fan of the Perry miniatures in 28mm particularly their Napoleonic range.

I love their Napoleonic extras range which are in my opinion superb.

They have a huge choice on their website and take Paypal which makes things a lot easier when paying for your items.

The figures in my opinion are nicely sculpted for 28mm and have a lot of nice detail which lends them well for painting. The range compared to other manufacturers is quite reasonable in price and you can bulk out units with their plastic range which I find very reasonable.

I think Vicrix have a nice range of 28mm Napoleonic plastic figures and these are well sculpted with good facial detail and again in my opinion paint up really well and can be mixed with Perry or Warlord miniatures.

I recently bit the bullet and bought some 28mm Napoleonic Calpe miniatures for the first time and these figures look superb with good sculpting and a lot of detail on them. They do not have as big a choice as Perry and their figures are a tad more expensive but looking at them I think they are worth it.

Between these three manufacturers there are many posibilities for dioramas. vignettes or just collections.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Gerry
gerry7944  United Kingdom

Posted by Auggie on 28 Jan 2017, 05:13

Hi Gerry,
Thanks very much for your reply and advice.
The Calpe figures look to be 25 mm? I didn't see any 28 mm on their site. Are the Perry figures correct in their proportions? I'm thinking of getting a set of the retreat from Russia and a few of the smaller plastic range.
Do you know of any 30 mm figure retailers, other than Tradition?
Thanks again,
Auggie
Auggie  Canada

Posted by gerry7944 on 28 Jan 2017, 05:57

Auggie wrote:Hi Gerry,
Thanks very much for your reply and advice.
The Calpe figures look to be 25 mm? I didn't see any 28 mm on their site. Are the Perry figures correct in their proportions? I'm thinking of getting a set of the retreat from Russia and a few of the smaller plastic range.
Do you know of any 30 mm figure retailers, other than Tradition?
Thanks again,
Auggie

Auggie

The Perry figures as far as I can see look fine and propotioned but that is only my opinion. The plastic ranges are not any smaller and fit in well with the metals.

As far as I can see the Calpe miniatures are 28mm and fit well with the other 28mm ranges. They are definately not smaller than the Perry ones. The only thing is the bayonets on the guns are a bit longer.

I have never done 30mm and therefore do not have a clue.

Sorry.

Cheers

Gerry
gerry7944  United Kingdom

Posted by Kekso on 28 Jan 2017, 13:02

Somewhere I read that 28mm are "chunky" because of their use. Most of 28mm figures are used for wargaming, Wargaming means much handling and much handling means that thin parts (rifles, swords etc.) could be broken easily. If you make thin parts (weapons) thicker you must made other parts of figures thicker. But if you want to keep them in the 28mm scale (size) they appear "chunky" (not so realistic). And I think Perry, Warlord and others remain their figures like that.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Auggie on 28 Jan 2017, 14:05

Gentlemen,
Thank you very much for all your help.
Cheers,
Auggie
Auggie  Canada

Return to Gallery