Gallery

Warlord Games 28mm Plastic Ancient Greek Hoplites

Posted by MikeRC97 on 18 Oct 2016, 01:22

Here are pictures of my latest project – Warlord Games Ancient Greek Hoplites.

I’ve based 4 figures on a 40mm square base, 3 bases for a standard Impetus unit (120mm frontage) or I can add a fourth base to create a standard size 2 deep infantry unit for Hail Caesar.

The Warlord Greek Hoplites (which were originally Immortal Miniatures before being sold to WG) come in three boxes, Ancient Greek (Early 5th Century / Persian Wars), Classical Greek (Middle to Late 5th Century / Peloponnesian Wars) and Spartans (Middle to Late 5th Century / Peloponnesian Wars). All three boxes share the same main sprue with smaller sprues with alternate heads and a pair of bodies that are unique to each box. I have a box of each so I have mixed in some of the heads from the Classical box as I’m modelling them for the Peloponnesian Wars.

Close ups of a couple of the bases in direct sunlight to give a better sense of the colors. For the bronze I used Vallejo Model Air Bright Brass mixed with VMA Silver for highlights. I highly recommend VMA metallic paints, these pictures are close ups so the finish looks a little grainy but in reality these metallic paints have a smooth finish and do not look “glittery” like most acrylic metallic paints.

Side views of the figures – I really enjoyed painting them, nice details but not too much detail.

I have more units to be painted but they’ll have to wait as I’m feeling the urge to return to the One True Scale (1/72).
Last edited by Peter on 24 Nov 2017, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: PB pictures fixed.
MikeRC97  

Posted by Kekso on 18 Oct 2016, 08:16

I like them a lot. I think I have few of them, but they'll wait for their turn... few years :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by MikeRC97 on 18 Oct 2016, 12:47

Thank you.

I know exactly how you feel. I actually purchased these in 2012 (the old Immortal boxes were on sale back then) and just got around to painting them.

I used to stress out about my ever growing stash of miniatures but eventually I learned that most collectors / wargamers do the same thing!
MikeRC97  

Posted by pipers on 18 Oct 2016, 15:02

Very nice and better than victrix
pipers  Spain

Posted by Peter on 20 Oct 2016, 16:20

Wonderfull looking figures! Great idea to mix them up to get more poses! :thumbup:

Are that decals on the shields?
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MikeRC97 on 21 Oct 2016, 12:57

Thank you both.

Yes those are transfers, came with the figures. As I mentioned mine are the original Immortal Miniatures boxes which were on sale quite cheap when Immortal ceased to exist and before Warlord Games picked up the range - I'm not sure if they still come with the figures.
MikeRC97  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kekso on 22 Oct 2016, 07:29

MikeRC97 wrote:I used to stress out about my ever growing stash of miniatures but eventually I learned that most collectors / wargamers do the same thing!

Yes we do... and we even make jokes about it :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Oct 2016, 14:20

Really splendid result with the shields MikeRC97, and that is what the eyes are drawn to first.
Very well painted and based up too.i hope you do well with them upon the gaming table. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by MikeRC97 on 26 Nov 2017, 21:18

I’m back with some updates to this project. First of all, I rebased the figures in the original post that were mounted on three 40mm square bases to two 60mm x 40mm bases so that the individual bases are now compatible with DBx. I don’t intend on playing DBx games, there is another set of rules that uses DBx basing that I intend to play called L’Art de la Guerre.

Units in L’Art de la Guerre (LADG) correspond to a single base in DBA with the exception of Heavy and Medium infantry which are two DBA bases combined one behind the other. The recommended number of figures per base is the same as DBA to make it easy to identify troop type, so four figures per base for spear armed heavy infantry (two ranks deep in LADG). LADG recommends 60mm base width for figures 20mm to 25mm and 80mm base width for figures over 25mm (DBA base width is 60mm for figures 20mm to 28mm).

Based on what I have read online most LADG players are sticking with 60mm base width for 28mm figures and I decided to do the same that way these units can also be used for Impetus which uses 120mm base width for a unit of 28mm figures. The Hail Caesar suggested base width for a standard unit of 28mm figures is 160mm but these rules are very flexible, the only hard rule being that the base width for a small unit is half as wide as a standard unit. So for Hail Caesar my standard unit base width will be 120mm and small units (mostly skirmishers and light horse) will be 60mm.

As I'm using 60mm x 40mm bases I decided not to use the LADG recommended number of figures per base. I have seen examples online of eight 28mm figures on a 60mm x 40mm base, but the Warlord Games Plastic Hoplites do not lend themselves well to this type of basing. Interestingly, the LADG rulebook includes many pictures of painted units and where 28mm Hoplites are shown they are always six figures per base, including a picture of the Warlord Games Plastic Hoplites which appears in the Classical Greek Army List section of the rulebook.

I mounted the figures in the front rank close together and the second rank close behind with the files slightly offset as if they are filling in the gaps in the front rank. This gives the unit a bit more mass compared to how I based them originally.

The second update to the project is a new unit of Spartan hoplites. As I mentioned in my original post I'm modeling these figures for the Peloponnesian Wars. As I read more about this conflict I've been drawn to the Battle of Mantinea in 418 BC as the inspiration for the units I will paint - this battle was one of the rare instances where the entire Spartan army took the field.

In the last decades of the fifth century BC the Spartan hoplites abandoned the enclosed helmet, cuirass and leg greaves used during the Persian Wars in favor of the open pilos helmet as their only form of protection other than the aspis shield. This gave the Spartan hoplites a greater degree of mobility to better deal with the light infantry that had become a larger part of Greek armies in the second half of the century. To reflect this I only used unarmored figures for the Spartans. Each Immortal/Warlord main sprue includes two unarmored bodies wearing the wool tunic called a chiton. The Spartan upgrade sprue includes one body wearing the exomis tunic with the right arm uncovered which was popular with Spartans in the Peloponnesian War. I took my time painting the crimson tunics to achieve strong contrast between the highlights on the folds of the cloth and the shade in the creases, hopefully that comes across in these pictures.

The Spartan upgrade sprue also has the heads with pilos helmets and shaved upper lip, however there is something missing - the long hair! There is an explanation for this however, in Osprey Elite #66 The Spartan Army we are told that on warrior statuettes from the fifth century the long hair is swept back under the helmet.

The second base includes a figure with a pilos helmet with a crest which distinguishes him as an officer. Also included is a piper from the Ancient Greek Hoplite box who plays the marching tune that the Spartans used to keep the line in step while advancing (this figure is not included in the Spartan Hoplite box). The officer can be a commander in LADG - commanders can be included in units, granting the unit a bonus at the risk of losing the commander in battle. Commanders can also be based separately as in Hail Caesar so at some point I will also make separate commander bases.

The Spartan upgrade sprue also includes a right arm wielding the Spartan short sword which was smaller than the swords used by most hoplites. You can see the short sword on the figure on the corner.

That's all for now, I have many more units to paint for the Battle of Mantinea including more Spartans, the Sciritae (a Spartan auxilia unit usually represented as light infantry) and Sparta's Tegean allies, as well as the opposing Argives and their Mantineian and Athenians allies. I will also need to pick up some light infantry/skirmishers and cavalry. I'm looking at Victrix for both of these, so more to come.

Any comments or feedback is appreciated.
MikeRC97  

Posted by Kekso on 28 Nov 2017, 10:39

Looks cool. Especially last photo where both sides meet each other.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Peter on 28 Nov 2017, 20:24

Kekso wrote:Looks cool. Especially last photo where both sides meet each other.

I agree! :sparta:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MikeRC97 on 29 Nov 2017, 12:45

Thanks guys!

In that last pic you get a sense of why many hoplite battles were decided without combat as one side would often break and run before the two lines met. It must have taken an insane amount of courage and no small amount of wine consumed before the battle to be able to walk up to another group of men with pointy sticks trying to poke you in the throat or groin!
MikeRC97  

Return to Gallery