Gallery

Perry Dragoons

Posted by Bramble15 on 04 May 2016, 00:56

For Christmas this year I got a gift card specifically to order this set and the Hussars! After receiving them and opening the boxes I was blown away by the detail on these figures. I think I got "great figure phobia" because it took me awhile to actually crack into them and get them built and painted. All I can say is these figures were a true pleasure to paint.
Critiques welcome - especially on the color of the green! As I have stated before green gives me fits as I cannot really judge how dark or light to go. Usually I get something that is pleasing to my eyes and that is that!
BTW - some are not completed with respect to basing. Just not sure how I want to do it yet!

Bramble15  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 04 May 2016, 07:52

Wwo these are excellent painted! Great details indeed! :thumbup:

PS: looks like you have been busy! :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Kekso on 04 May 2016, 08:01

Amazing and very inspirational work Rich. I have that box of dragoons and they will be on my workbench within few of months.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Rosbif on 31 May 2016, 06:49

Just saw these now.

They're lovely! Well done! :yeah:
Rosbif  Australia

Posted by Rosbif on 31 May 2016, 06:49

Just saw these now.

They're lovely! Well done! :yeah:
Rosbif  Australia

Posted by Cryns on 31 May 2016, 10:32

Dear Bramble,

First of all It surprised me when I was reading you got fighting soldiers as a gift for a peace-celebration which Christmas is, at least in Europe. I don't know how Americans see this nowadays :mrgreen:

But never mind: Excellent paintingwork from you, my compliments. And great figures from Perry indeed. I saw your pics before but forgot to react.

Bramble15 wrote:Critiques welcome - especially on the color of the green!

I think you may already know my opinion but since nobody is reacting to your invitation to criticize your green, I give you my personal opinion:

It looks like you combined two shades of green. One very bright and strong color, the other somewhat darker with a moss-green touch in it. I prefer the last one.
The other, brighter, green looks too strong and chemical colored for early 19th century woolmanufacturing.

On top of that does the brown of some trousers and coats of these dragoons indicate these troops are serving in the Peninsula, which is what the dragons a pièd are best known for. Wearing brown means they already wasted their original uniforms so they are in Spain for a while already: a period long enough for the Spanish sun (and rain) to bleach the colors (for both of the greens you used) into very pale shades of green.

And webmaster don't call me a buttoncounter now since Bramble asked for this!
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 31 May 2016, 12:11

Dear Mr Cryns you asked for it and just for fun: "buttoncounter!" :lol:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Cryns on 31 May 2016, 12:18

Peter wrote: buttoncounter!:

:mad:
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Bramble15 on 31 May 2016, 12:49

Thank you to all for your comments.

Mr. Cyrns
On top of that does the brown of some trousers and coats of these dragoons indicate these troops are serving in the Peninsula, which is what the dragons a pièd are best known for. Wearing brown means they already wasted their original uniforms so they are in Spain for a while already: a period long enough for the Spanish sun (and rain) to bleach the colors (for both of the greens you used) into very pale shades of green.

Wow! I can honestly say I have never given any thought to your comment above. Completely makes sense, but to be honest I looked at and used the references provided by Perry and tried to replicate. I have a folder of saved pictures and plates as well but I have never given consideration to climate/wear/deterioration. Seems like an obvious starting point, but I guess I missed that lesson! :oops: Something to definitely think about.

With respect to your comments about the green. I will only say "good eyes"! I tried experimenting with multiple layers of color. I think as I neared the end of some I added a little too much yellow to brighten. On all if them I started with deep green mixed with a little gray black and built from there. Perhaps next time I should stop 1 layer shy of what I achieved here.

Thanks again for the comments and insight!

Rich
Bramble15  United States of America

Return to Gallery