Miniatures News

Gyptis

Posted by Cryns on 05 Feb 2021, 12:45

THE GYPTIS

Ancient Greek coastal trader or fishing boat from the 6th Century BC. Its design is based upon archaeological finds from the Greek Colony of Massala (Marseilles) in France. The historical ship was build with the sewn wood technique.

This scale 1:72 model was designed in wood & textile and cast in steel rod reinforced resin.

More info at: https://crynsminiaturen.nl/gyptis/

CATALOGUE: https://crynsminiaturen.nl/
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Kekso on 05 Feb 2021, 14:06

Another great ancient boat.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by C M Dodson on 05 Feb 2021, 20:01

Mr C, you are an artist not a modeller.

Some of the pictures have a dream like quality.

Exceptional stuff indeed.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 05 Feb 2021, 21:24

Excellent work dear friend!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Ben90 on 06 Feb 2021, 03:04

Splendid model again. And your paintjob, photography and scenery really brings it to life!
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Pocho Azul on 06 Feb 2021, 03:36

Very nice indeed
Pocho Azul  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by PhilC on 06 Feb 2021, 09:46

Wonderful, original, well cast and painted... what we expect from Cryns production :)

The following picture was taken in the archeological museum of Marseille where ancient boats found in the port are on display, maybe it is one of your inspiration sources ?

PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Cryns on 07 Feb 2021, 12:11

Thank you so much for the nice replies dear Kekso, Sir Dodson, Kostis, Ben, Pocho and Phil :-D

PhilC wrote:the archeological museum of Marseille where ancient boats found in the port are on display

PhilC that is correct. Being a Frenchman, have you been there? I was never in Marseille. Its a place where people from the Netherlands usually don't go for holidays. But I should.

The old Greek colonist harbour of Marseille is situated under today's Place Jules Verne and the Gyptis together with other shipwrecks found there are also know as the Jules Verne Boats

https://www.tourisme-marseille.com/fiche/le-gyptis-replique-d-une-barque-massaliote-vieux-port-de-marseille/

My main inspiration came from this documentary film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RfPb_SAVco made by Antoine Chéné about the archaeological research and reconstruction of the original vessel by the naval archaeology team of the Centre Camille Jullian (University of Aix-Marseille, CNRS)
Cryns  Netherlands

Posted by PhilC on 08 Feb 2021, 18:42

Yes, I've visited this museum a few years ago. If you have the possibility, I would suggest that you go and visit the city, after the covid pandemy of course (so much better when you can go to the restaurant in the evening, in summertime), there are many interesting places in the city itself, and a very nice mountainous coast called Les Calanques, just south of town.
The museum (the building itself is ugly, but the exhibition itself is very interesting) is at the exact location of the ancient port.
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Chariobaude on 08 Feb 2021, 21:50

Cryns wrote:Thank you so much for the nice replies dear Kekso, Sir Dodson, Kostis, Ben, Pocho and Phil :-D

PhilC that is correct. Being a Frenchman, have you been there? I was never in Marseille. Its a place where people from the Netherlands usually don't go for holidays. But I should.

Offtopic : Working between Paris and Marseille, i can understand why your people is so afraid of that city, nowaday a mix between (the bad part of ) Napoli, Istambul and Algiers. It is pretty sad, because some parts are still breathtaking, but the city is now vanished. All my friends from Marseille left it years ago, and live now in the countryside around it or near Aix-en-Provence.

Back to your art, amazing as always, and the pictures are incredible !
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Cryns on 10 Feb 2021, 19:10

PhilC wrote:If you have the possibility, I would suggest that you go and visit the city,

Thanks dear Phil.

Yes I will add Marseille to my wishlist of future destinations and of course I should try to visit the people who build that fantastic scale 1:1 replica of the Gyptis boat. My wife just tells me she has been in Marseille in the 1980's. But at that moment the Place Jules Vernes Harbour was not excavated yet.

Chariobaude wrote:why your people is so afraid of that city, nowaday a mix between (the bad part of ) Napoli, Istambul and Algiers.

Hello Chariobaude

Thanks for your reply! What you write about Marseille is more or less what I heared 25 years ago about that city. But for me it is not really an off topic issue.
I think the reason why those ancient Greek colonists from Phocea build this city 2600 years ago (escaping difficult situation like invading Persians in Asia Minor) is more or less the same reason why (poor) newcomers from all around the Mediterranean Sea settled there during the last century.

It is fantastic to see how that old Phocean Greek Harbour and city-peninsula is still more or less intact today at exactly the same spot.

https://www.romeartlover.it/Marseille.html
Cryns  Netherlands

Return to Miniatures News