Miniatures News

misleading Hat box art

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Jul 2020, 02:37

Yes this is the old boxed set

Sure this is printed on the back of the box,
but just who are they targeting?
i expect the Gullible! BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 15 Jul 2020, 06:07

Must be a gag. April 1 by chance?
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by MABO on 15 Jul 2020, 06:15

I think this sould be art and fun. They have created several limited rereleases with a new boxart, I think you know. I must say, for a rerelease, I like the idea.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 16 Jul 2020, 11:12

I remember this one:

Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Kekso on 16 Jul 2020, 12:56

As others said, it must be a joke or fan art... but I wouldn't mind to have some kind of robot-nappie figures
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Santi Pérez on 18 Jul 2020, 23:21

Kekso wrote:As others said, it must be a joke or fan art...

Yes, Hät has done it in the last times with some of their sets. I'm specially in love with one of them, belonging to their newcoming ACW series, specifically the 8033 American Civil War sampler, because it brings me happy reminds of my chilhood. I explain you the reason.

This is the boxart of the set:

It's an imitation of a "sobre" (paper bag, so called because it was where the figures came rather than in a box) from Montaplex, a Spanish manufacturer that made copies of figures from different Airfix sets in the sixties, seventies and eighties of the past century. Those figures were of bad quality, but their cheap price and their wide availability made them very popular among the Spanish children of those times, who were unfamiliar with the original Airfix figures or had a budget so low that it prevented us from buying them. :drool:

I post here several of those "sobres", the first one showing the Montaplex brand logo (replaced by Hataplex by Hät) and the rest with different figures corresponding to the American Civil War. Also there is one of the two identical sprues from the Union combat group "sobre".

Inside the circle of the last three you can read 5 ptas (5 pesetas, being the peseta the Spanish currency prior to the euro). When I got my first Airfix set (in the seventies), its price was over 100 pesetas, so you can imagine the success Montaplex figures had, despite their bad quality, considering that inside a "sobre" you've got no less than twenty or twenty-five pieces. They formed the first miniature armies of my generation boys. :love1:

Many thanks to Hät for allowing me to relive such good memories from my childhood, and I want to share them with other Spaniards on the forum as veterans as me. :P

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Paul on 19 Jul 2020, 13:39

Isn´t boxart occasionally "misleading"?
Just for fun, random choice...
the pictured officer carries a revolver..but the bod in the box a sword
The boxart shows a single posed nag with rider which doesn´t exist in the box
Officer using binoculars on Boxart, none in box
Not one of the poses in the box are like the ones on the Boxart!!
No nag with the crests, the knight resting on his sword...not in the box!!!
No people sitting around a table or anyone playing bagpipes included in the box!!

Artistic licence and a bit of fun is what it is
Paul  China

Posted by zulu`s 1000`s of em on 20 Jul 2020, 21:17

I like them, and it makes them collect-able, there are some like me who collect box types, and they are fun , whats not to like about the Abbey road tribute box.....
zulu`s 1000`s of em  United Kingdom

Posted by Santi Pérez on 01 Aug 2020, 19:06

I have seen that Hät has made another "misleading box art" in one of its more recent sets, the Napoleonic British dragoons sampler 8340. :-D

This time the box art ressembles that of the old Atlantic ones (Atlantic replaced by Hatlantic in the box, funny detail). :mrgreen:

The Hät set:

And one of the Atlantic Egyptian sets:

Note that there is also the detail of translating the set tittle into other languages, in this case what seems to be Indian sanskrit, Sumerian or Assyrian cuneiform and Egyptian hieroglyphic. :drool:

Thanks again, Hät, for this nice initiative. :yeah:

By the way, I found an unexpected Atlantic treasure in a toy store I found by chance in a Spanish city I visited during my just finished holydays. I will add a new post talking about it as soon as I can make some pictures. ;-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by marc zijp on 01 Aug 2020, 19:40

It’s not that I ly under the table with laughter, but it’s good for my mood though.
So thanks Hat plus Paul and Santi.

One question about the heavy dragoons: I‘D like to convert them into late heavy dragoons (you know: 1815 campaign). Does anyone know if there are those late dragoon heads for sale? I’m familiar with the range of Franznap and they got a lot of different head types in their catalogue, but no late British heavy dragoon heads.
Thanks for any suggestions!
marc zijp  

Return to Miniatures News