Miniatures News

RedBox news & releases 2020 - 2024

Posted by Ochoin on 24 Nov 2020, 06:45

My interest is SYW.

These British artillery look amazing....but I think unless you trim off a lot of the lace, really don't suit the Austrians, French or Prussians (& I have sizeable armies for all three).

I'm think the same applies to the existing Red Box British infantry set.

I'm not so sure about the Horse & Dragoon sets having a wider application: please correct me if I'm wrong.

At any rate, any additions to the stock of SYW figures is a real positive.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by steve_pickstock on 28 Nov 2020, 17:31

Drum and Flag have got stocks of the new Musketeers range and some really good pictures of them. From the looks of it the molding of these is the best yet.

Musketeers - https://www.drumandflag.co.uk/collectio ... y-soldiers
Cardinals Guard - https://www.drumandflag.co.uk/collectio ... 1-72-scale
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Fire at Will on 28 Nov 2020, 21:26

saw your link on facebook and they look great, must get some even tough I have the Ultima Ratio figures already
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by steve_pickstock on 28 Nov 2020, 21:46

I'm thinking about a 2' by 2' game, 4 to 6 figures per side, with rules based on FFG Star Wars: X-Wing. That's not as insane as it sounds, it keeps it simple, swordfighting games can get very complicated and I'm trying to avoid that.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by steve_pickstock on 24 Dec 2020, 12:26

The Mounted King's Musketeers arrived this morning curtesy of Hannants. (The Mounted Cardinal's Guardsmen are in the post but won't be here until after Christmas)

Initial thoughts - I will take pictures ina few days, bit busy otherwise) - perfectly in line with my thought about the foot sets. Exquisite figures, imaginative and realistic poses, nice details and some great mouldings. There are figures in this set that I think will become vital components of 1/72nd 30YW/ECW armies in the future.
Some reservations about the carbines/dragons* that the troopers are armed with, though in context as a mounted contingent they make more sense than full muskets. On the plus side they are wheel locks, as are the pistols.
The horses are a little chunkier than the illustrations on the box art, which disappointed me slightly - they are more like your standard Streletsian mount, but no less useful for that.
But overall a very nice set.

* Dragons were the short muskets initial carried by dragoons, though later they tended to carry longer full length muskets.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by steve_pickstock on 30 Dec 2020, 12:43

A few quick words about the mounted Cardinal's Guards (and the Musketeers, now that I have removed them from the sprues) - chunky. Very chunky riders and quite chunky horses (but I said that already). Some nice figures, excellent details, but overall not as happy with these as I was with the foot figures. It's hard work to get some of the riders to fit the horses.

I am currently waiting for an Amazon delivery otherwise I would be in the attic taking pictures of these, as well as prepping some of the foot figures for painting.
steve_pickstock  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Fire at Will on 30 Dec 2020, 17:45

Looking forward to seeing them, how do they compare to the Redbox version?

Posted by steve_pickstock on 30 Dec 2020, 18:24

Fire at Will wrote:Looking forward to seeing them, how do they compare to the Redbox version?

Overall the Red Box foot figures are the business, someone has really done their homework on the poses - the hands holding swords are holding them correctly and at the appropriate angles and the costuming is right for the mid 1620s. The sculptor has produced some marvellous sculpts and as I have said before they have bags of character. They have more and clearer detail than the Ultima Ratio figures and they just seem to be a step up from the UR stuff. That is not to say that the UR figures are bad, just that the RB stuff is so much better.

I wish I could gush as much about the Red Box mounted figures, they're nice, and the detail is there, but it's not a complete package, if you get my meaning.

I did a comparison of the available figures a few weeks ago, here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24253
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Fire at Will on 30 Dec 2020, 20:59

Sorry Steve, left handed typing affected my brain, I meant comparing the new mounted Redbox to the Mars version

Posted by steve_pickstock on 31 Dec 2020, 00:29

Ah - sorry will, my own brain had a day off.

Put simply - no comparison.

I know there are people out there that make some of the older Mars figures actually look good, whether that is by hard work, magic or the careful use of a large hadron collider, but to me those older figures are a mess. Wishy, washy details, awkward poses, awful horses. I find it difficult to say anything positive about them. They seem to be getting their act together a bit, but those Musketeers figures - no.

The Red Box mounted figures suffer a bit in terms of outline, with bits of tabard flapping about in the wind - the poor old cardinal, in particular looks like he's caught up in a tropical storm, but they are a lot better. In terms of poses, flash, weapons (you can look at a pistol and say 'oh yes, it's a wheel-lock'), detail in general - there is no comparison. Some of the proportions are a bit off, and there are problems fitting them to their mounts but I think they'll do for most people.

Hope that helps.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Fire at Will on 31 Dec 2020, 08:37

Thanks Steve, I'll definitely be getting the Redbox ones. I will probably paint them before deciding what to do with my old Mars ones

Posted by MABO on 31 Dec 2020, 09:29

I got my RB figs two days before, and I must say: They are really nice! What Steve has written is correct, of course, but nevertheless. They are so rich of details e.g. the embellishments to the collar. Or a small dagger in Lady de Winter's garter. It will be a pleasure to paint them.

And keeping in mind that this company started with this...:

These new musketeers make me hope for a lot of fantastic sets comming from this company.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by steve_pickstock on 31 Dec 2020, 10:36

Fire at Will wrote:Thanks Steve, I'll definitely be getting the Redbox ones. I will probably paint them before deciding what to do with my old Mars ones

So? Was this magic, an LHC or just sheer hard work, these look okay?

Where did you get the barns from Will?
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Fire at Will on 31 Dec 2020, 21:29

The barns are from Pendraken in their Red Vectors MDF range, Here are the finished contents of two sets

Posted by Fire at Will on 31 Dec 2020, 21:30

Fire at Will wrote:The barns are Russian buildings from Pendraken in their Red Vectors MDF range, Here are the finished contents of two sets

Posted by Fire at Will on 31 Dec 2020, 21:36

Fire at Will wrote:

They are not that easy to find so here is the link
https://www.minibits.net/red-vectors/20mm/wwii/

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by steve_pickstock on 31 Dec 2020, 22:40

Cheers man, I got some of the 15mm stuff for playing Tanks, I may induge in the new year.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by steve_pickstock on 31 Dec 2020, 22:48

Mounted Musketeers

Still trying to get the pictures better.

Two really useful figures for anyone doing a 1/72nd scale 30YW army

steve_pickstock  England

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 01 Jan 2021, 02:51

Wow, those are great sculpts, very detailed!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 01 Jan 2021, 16:43

It was apparently confirmed that the 4 announced cavalry sets will be released within the next months. :thumbup:

72139 - British Dragoons 1745
72140 - British Regiments of Horse 1745
72141 - Prince's Lifeguard and Fitzjames Horse
72149 - Bonnie Prince Charlie and Scottish Cavalry
Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Previous pageNext page

Return to Miniatures News