Miniatures News

Linear-A news & releases 2020 - 2024

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 10 Dec 2020, 01:07

Fantastic, lovely looking minis, hope to pick them up soon!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 12 Dec 2020, 17:19

A quick glimpse at another announced set which is still in an earlier development stage.
028 - Army of Pyrrhus of Epirus Phalanx Set 1 3rd Century BC

Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Posted by steve_pickstock on 12 Dec 2020, 17:48

Erich von Manstein wrote:Image

I have carried a lot of pikes over the years THAT is a bit of a brute, still a nice looking model though.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 12 Dec 2020, 20:25

steve_pickstock wrote:I have carried a lot of pikes over the years THAT is a bit of a brute, still a nice looking model though.

Unfortunately, the hobby community is still waiting for the “perfect“ realisation of Phalanx formations or Pike Squares in 1/72 scale.
Even the largely competent Zvezda team had to compromise when accomplishing this task.
Well, it probably boils down to the use of broom bristles & similar solutions again, as so often before... . ;-) :xd:

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 17 Dec 2020, 00:53

Drop by drop preview... this time front row Phalangite
028 - Army of Pyrrhus of Epirus Phalanx Set 1 3rd Century BC

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 17 Dec 2020, 04:09

Okay, I admit the pikes do look a bit stubby. The latest figure's helmet is more Hellenistic right? As in, more fitting for the Successor kingdoms than Alexander's original force? I don't know if I sound like an idiot, I haven't done my research on this subject.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by carlosfaro on 17 Dec 2020, 10:54

Latest helmet is as much hellenistic as the previous One :)

What looks surprising is the Mail shirt, for an hellenistic Army..That armour is a celtic invention adopted by Roman Repúblic and then according to sources, also found in the carthsghinian Veterans following Hannibal (as captured spoils in the italian battlefields)
I know well the last pose...It is an old Peter Connolly Plate from book "Hannibal and the Enemies of Rome" and the man was supposed to represent an African (etchnical carthsghinian or liby-phoenician) heavy spearmen, equipped yo be a phalangite with hellenistic weaponry but maybe wearing a captured Román Mailshirt

I find also however also accurate if he is released as q Pyrrhic pikeman Who is fighting also in Italy and he has also wearing a captured a Roman Mailshirt...Just some décadas Before the punic wars :)
Why not?
carlosfaro  

Posted by Misteredd on 17 Dec 2020, 14:20

Looking great! Implemented Sarissas instead of broomsticks or so. Great sculpting. I guess those sarissas are only sculptable in this manner. I am happy to see this Phalanx dream become true.
Misteredd  

Posted by Misteredd on 17 Dec 2020, 14:22

Well - there was a celtic invasion in Hellas in 279 bc. This armour could be former celtic spoils of war as well.
Misteredd  

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 20 Dec 2020, 23:40

A few more Celtic warriors were revealed today.
025 - Hannibal crosses the Alps Set 5 Celtic Salassi tribe vs. Carthaginians

Posted by carlosfaro on 21 Dec 2020, 01:04

Even more nice figures. I find so beautiful, all old Mr Connolly plates brought to life in 3d plastic miniatures
I find so nice the detail of these celts with poses looking down from the alpine heights to that big and strange army of foreigners with tan and dark skins, strange clothes and weapons and unbeliable giant grey monsters... Will they be dangerous? Will they have riches to be stolen after a surpris attack??

Great efforts of Lienear A in covering new angles of th ancient age and the punic wars.
carlosfaro  

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 21 Dec 2020, 01:17

Erich von Manstein wrote:A few more Celtic warriors were revealed today.
025 - Hannibal crosses the Alps Set 5 Celtic Salassi tribe vs. Carthaginians

Look at the quality of these sculpts! The things that have caught my eye in particular are the hair styles and the strong poses.

If you look at attempted limed hair at other Celtic figures they don't quite stand up, or they look quite tame and even. You can see individual punk-like 'spikes' formed from the hair on each model, which I haven't seen in 1/72 Celts before, even on great minis such as those produced by Caesar Miniatures, which before this I saw as the foremost example of great Celtic minis. If you look at previous examples of limed hair, it looks tousled, mane-like but not limed to be standing on end. These new sculpts look almost Gamesworkshop-like, I'm really impressed.

Then look at these poses. Look at the narrative in all of them, the crouching warrior, presumably on a ledge, waiting on ambush. The spear-wielder surveying the landscape, foot astride a stone. The javelin-wielder, also looking down (probably from a vantage point), the charging Celtic fanatic. They all tell a story, again, very impressive.

carlosfaro wrote:Even more nice figures. I find so beautiful, all old Mr Connolly plates brought to life in 3d plastic miniatures
I find so nice the detail of these celts with poses looking down from the alpine heights to that big and strange army of foreigners with tan and dark skins, strange clothes and weapons and unbeliable giant grey monsters... Will they be dangerous? Will they have riches to be stolen after a surpris attack??

Yeah, the minis have an inherent narrative, you can give the emotions and vibes at a glance, fantastic stuff!

If you look at the sculpting itself you can see clear definition for muscles, I've already mentioned the hair but you can see the naked spear-wielder has sculpted genitalia. Again haven't see this before, but the detail is impressive (uh, no homo? I feel the analysis is getting weird) and shows Linear A's commitment to making fantastic minis.

I realised I've probably typed too much now...

TLDR; In my opinion, these minis are at least equal and might even exceed the best Celtic minis on the market today: Caesar Miniature's Celtic Warriors. I kind of want to throw money at them.

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 13 Jan 2021, 06:51

According to Linear-A's website, this year's first new release is available now.
020 - The Minoans 1600-1450 B.C. Late Minoan period

The following sets also seem to be on the verge of a timely release. :thumbup:
019 - Greek Hoplites on the march, Battle of Cunaxa 401 B.C. Set 2 Xenophon`s War
026 - Samnite Wars Infantry Set 1
030 - Tarentine Horsemen of Magna Graecia 3rd century B.C.
004s - Waterloo after the Battle Set 1 French Disaster
005s - Waterloo after the Battle Set 2 British Disaster

Posted by Santi Pérez on 15 Jan 2021, 19:07

Erich von Manstein wrote:According to Linear-A's website, this year's first new release is available now.
020 - The Minoans 1600-1450 B.C. Late Minoan period
Image...

These are very good news. Just like the Roman Legion set 1 from this manufacturer (already received), this new set is a must for me. :winky:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 20 Jan 2021, 15:12

The next release is slowly on its way already. :thumbup:
019 - Greek Hoplites on the march, Battle of Cunaxa 401 B.C. Set 2 Xenophon`s War
48 figures in 12 poses.

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 21 Jan 2021, 01:09

Loved the marching poses since I first saw them. I'm so glad Linear-A tackle slightly unconventional topics, I'm picking this up.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by carlosfaro on 21 Jan 2021, 13:45

Specializated set on greek hoplites and peltasts on the march with marching gesr have a great potentíal as a generic set for many Ancient hellenic scenarios (which is for me paradoxically opposite to most LinearA sets which are great but too focused on some specific event , troop or group)
I do not know if It was intentional or not but It can become a big success for Linear A.
It Will sell broadly...
carlosfaro  

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 27 Jan 2021, 14:37

As previously announced, the next set is available now. :thumbup:
(For the actual content, see previous posting above.)

It seems that at least 4 further sets may follow very soon now.
026 - Samnite Wars Infantry Set 1
030 - Tarentine Horsemen of Magna Graecia 3rd century B.C.
004s - Waterloo after the Battle Set 1
French Disaster
005s - Waterloo after the Battle Set 2 British Disaster

Posted by MABO on 27 Jan 2021, 19:43

I just received their Minoians. I should have waited and ordered the hoplites as well...
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Santi Pérez on 28 Jan 2021, 20:53

MABO wrote:I just received their Minoians. I should have waited and ordered the hoplites as well...

I'm waiting for my Minoans, MABO. Could you tell me if the real figures inside the box are so good as the original masters looked? Thanks in advance. ;-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Previous pageNext page

Return to Miniatures News