Miniatures News

Linear-A news & releases 2020 - 2024

Posted by DickerThomas on 17 Nov 2020, 16:11

Hello ,

just a little Info.. the main problems are actually .. the closed borders because of covid19... there are some finished sets witch couldn't be delivered to germany :oops: :oops:
DickerThomas  Germany

Posted by marc zijp on 17 Nov 2020, 17:29

That’s a pity DickerThomas. And unfortunately a worldwide problem and perhaps for still some time.
But the good news is really that several sets are ready. And that we can save a bit more money for our hobby.
Can’t speak for other people, but because I was not able to travel and make some city/museum trips abroad I spent more money at 1/72 products last summer. So perhaps with people spending more time ate home in the end the 1/72 hobby is not doing that bad at all? PSR was hinting on this fact too.

But I hope the sets will arrive soon in Germany of course!
marc zijp  

Posted by Bluefalchion on 17 Nov 2020, 17:43

marc zijp wrote:Well, the future list is growing faster than their output, so to call it a classic Blitzkrieg may not be appropriate.

But Rome wasn’t built in one day either.

Linear-A is getting close to Crossing the Rubicon with all of these amazing sets.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 18 Nov 2020, 19:40

A few more teasers for some already known sets.

025 - Hannibal crosses the Alps Set 5 Celtic Salassi tribe vs. Carthaginians

005s - Waterloo after the Battle Set 2 British Disaster

Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Posted by marc zijp on 18 Nov 2020, 21:55

Good to see some new masters.
The celts are promising and might become a spectacular set, just as perhaps the future Teutoborg Disaster set.
Dead Napoleonic horses are always very welcome!
I read that some find it hard to think what to do with the cheering and applauding waterloo allies, but can’t help it (perhaps a bit ungrateful towards Linear-A): I see conversion possibilities to make casualties out of them. The Highlander and Prussian line is quite easy: only changing the head position and perhaps giving them another empty hand. Changing the two Landwehr and British figures is more difficult, but I will try to cut off the right arm and change the position et voilà: another dead body. So I probably will buy several sets. :yeah:
marc zijp  

Posted by steve_pickstock on 18 Nov 2020, 23:34

These are looking good, really waiting for those Minoans.
steve_pickstock  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 22 Nov 2020, 02:07

marc zijp wrote:No new masters, but some more plans have been revealed.
It seems the Hellenistic Diadochi will get full attention too and hopefully any time in future a full army of Seleucids can be created.
#033 Seleucid infantry PHALANX set 1
#047 Seleucid infantry set 2
#048 Seleucid CAVALRY/CHARIOT
#049 Seleucid ELEPHANTS versus Ptolemaic ELEPHANTS

#034 Ptolemaic infantry set 1

Also the Army of Pyrrhus of Epirus will get a
#028 Infantry PHALANX SET 1
plus
#045 Infantry ALIES/MERCANERIES set 2

So finally the Zvezda elephants will get some company (íf the elephants are comparable) and two different sets of phalanxes. Which is good news ‘cause I like the sight of phalanx formations! And Linear-A have shown they can make good elephants so some spectacular sets to look out for. :yeah:

When I saw this I was interested in how they would differentiate between Alexander's successors in 1/72 scale, given that the phalanxes would have looked quite similar (Aren't the differences between Pyrrhus's, the Seleucid's and Ptolemaic phalanxes very minute anyway?) I have every confidence in Linear A though, I'm so happy they want to fine tune their focus into the Hellenistic kingdoms after their range on Carthage.

Bluefalchion wrote:Would it be fair to say that Linear-A is well on its way to conquering the Ancient World?

My personal opinion: Linear-A are the leaders for 1/72 ancient miniatures right now by far, they're making fantastic strides. On principle, I want to buy their minis to support them (which I will, but covid delays...)

DickerThomas wrote:Hello ,

just a little Info.. the main problems are actually .. the closed borders because of covid19... there are some finished sets witch couldn't be delivered to germany :oops: :oops:

Covid ruined more than my holiday plans...

Erich von Manstein wrote:A few more teasers for some already known sets.

025 - Hannibal crosses the Alps Set 5 Celtic Salassi tribe vs. Carthaginians

When I saw these I just started smiling. I'm going to delay my own Celtic army for these, the running naked warrior in particular is so dynamic! Look at the detail of the stomach muscles and the splayed, limed hair! I love the chieftain too and the boulder rollers, I can see a great diorama base being made from this!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Ochoin on 22 Nov 2020, 12:12

AFAIK, given that there were a large number of mercenaries, armies from Pyrrhus to any of the Successors may have had a lot of similarity.

However, new figures are always welcome.

I'm thinking of adding to a few existing units I have & creating a generic Hellenistic/Pyrrhic army so I will watch Linear As output with considerable interest.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by carlosfaro on 22 Nov 2020, 19:10

I also believe LinearA is making his place as only remaining company un the Ancient world, delivering really great sets which recreate jn
un a superb way the very beautiful old illustrations of Mr Peter Connolly.
It seems Hat, strelets and Zvezda, former Main Ancient sets manufacturers do not fight this Battle anymore...

I Will support LinearA so long my Wallet and already full storage places allow It...

By the Way, I find the discussion about different phalanx types interesting...
Probably they should look very similar but with different details..I read somewhere that seleucid Pikemen (many drafted from asian levies) wore trousers instead túnica, and that their formations used longer and longer pikes every time, compared to original alexandrian model .

About Pírric, but Also ptolemaic and again seleucid, I believe probably they would wear more "luxury" items than the original macedonian, I mean ellaborate helmets ,shields and armors, plumes...
They were not a "mountain men" Army anymore but the forces of wealthy hellenistic kings...
carlosfaro  

Posted by marc zijp on 23 Nov 2020, 16:06

Box Tarentine Horsemen. Also some more (minor) details revealed about the Diadochi like the date and battle of Raphia.
marc zijp  

Posted by Chariobaude on 23 Nov 2020, 22:24

Honestly, Linear is a ray of hope in a very bleak landscape ! I await with extreme impatience their sets on Justinian'era ... It is torture to wait for them!
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 26 Nov 2020, 15:23

According to Linear-A their next set is released now.
017 - Roman Legion Set 1 Varus give me back my legions (Varian Disaster 9 A.D.)

The following sets are already casted and will hopefully be released soon.
019 - Greek Hoplites on the march, Battle of Cunaxa 401 B.C. Set 2 Xenophon`s War
026 - Samnite Wars Infantry Set 1
030 - Tarentine Horsemen of Magna Graecia

And these ones are currently in production.
020 - The Minoans 1600-1450 B.C. Late Minoan period
004s - Waterloo after the Battle Set 1 French Disaster
006s - "The Victory of Waterloo"

Respective pictures & previews can be found all over this thread. ;-)

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 29 Nov 2020, 01:20

Ochoin wrote:AFAIK, given that there were a large number of mercenaries, armies from Pyrrhus to any of the Successors may have had a lot of similarity.

However, new figures are always welcome.

donald

Yeah that's what I've always thought, I've noticed in general reading that other scales of wargames sometimes just advocate using a generic set of post-Alexander phalangites to represent all the different armies. If Linear-A make them all different that'd be great, I'd be tempted to start multiple Hellenistic kingdom armies.

carlosfaro wrote:By the Way, I find the discussion about different phalanx types interesting...
Probably they should look very similar but with different details..I read somewhere that seleucid Pikemen (many drafted from asian levies) wore trousers instead túnica, and that their formations used longer and longer pikes every time, compared to original alexandrian model .

About Pírric, but Also ptolemaic and again seleucid, I believe probably they would wear more "luxury" items than the original macedonian, I mean ellaborate helmets ,shields and armors, plumes...
They were not a "mountain men" Army anymore but the forces of wealthy hellenistic kings...

Oh that's cool, I haven't looked into the topic into any detail but even differences like that could make the units look different on the tabletop. Details like this matter to me, the entire point of the hobby for myself is the craft of great figures and painting, but I'm sure the figures will be great. Zvezda and HaT aren't playing ball in the ancients field anymore, I'm depending on Linear A now lol.

Erich von Manstein wrote:The following sets are already casted and will hopefully be released soon.
019 - Greek Hoplites on the march, Battle of Cunaxa 401 B.C. Set 2 Xenophon`s War
026 - Samnite Wars Infantry Set 1
030 - Tarentine Horsemen of Magna Graecia

These are the ones I'm interested in. Finally, new Samnites! We have more contenders to the power of Rome, and new Greeks are always nice.
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by carlosfaro on 29 Nov 2020, 11:04

Samnites Will be a nice addition to the range, When Rome suffered so Many hard local defeats Before imposing her rule un Italy and becoming a World Power
carlosfaro  

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 29 Nov 2020, 13:51

OwenChpw wrote:These are the ones I'm interested in. Finally, new Samnites! We have more contenders to the power of Rome, and new Greeks are always nice.

Then you will probably be pleased with the progress these sets are making? ;-)

026 - Samnite Wars Infantry Set 1 (40 figures in 10 poses)

In addition, the 030 - Tarentine Horsemen of Magna Graecia previously shown by Marc (see above).

Despite the currently difficult circumstances, Linear-A really keeps em comin! :thumbup:

Posted by MABO on 29 Nov 2020, 14:55

Both sets are a must have for me. Linear-A is really a creative and progressiv company a "Hurray" to them!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Misteredd on 02 Dec 2020, 16:54

Some well forged Sarissa phalanxes are a dream come true. Those Zvezda are quite suitable, but to few poses plus some historical incorrect equipment ( Italic style armour). The Phyrric aka Macedonian Antigonid style phalanx, the Seleucid eastern style phalanx and some kind of Egyptian style phalanx (much more linnen) are a very good combination to represent all kinds of existing phalanxes.

My most favoured set will be a set of Gastraphetes (Hellenistic crossbow men). Those will be most valuable to recreate Alexanders Megas battles against those Illyrians, the Scyths and the barbarian tribes on the Danube.
Misteredd  

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 09 Dec 2020, 11:33

Another set seems ready for release now.
020 - The Minoans 1600-1450 B.C. late minoan period
48 figures in 12 poses.

Posted by steve_pickstock on 09 Dec 2020, 12:32

Very nice indeed and I like the naming of the figures and their sources.
In a response to an enquiry on the Strelets forum, Linear A replied that they are working on a second set which will include a bull.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Santi Pérez on 09 Dec 2020, 20:40

Wow, those Minoans look great. I have already noted them in my wish list, as well as the Roman legion set 1. ;-)

Thank you for sharing so good news, Erich. :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Previous pageNext page

Return to Miniatures News