Miniatures News

Strelets news 2020 - 2024

Posted by Ochoin on 25 Jun 2021, 12:47

MABO wrote:I am once more wondering when there will be a new release from Strelets. They have announced so many new items.

As you know, in the past, they've released a veritable deluge of sets at a time, so I imagine this might happen in the near future.

donald

BTW I don't really like the Highlanders. They look odd.
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by johnl5555 on 25 Jun 2021, 14:02

Looks like I could use them (WSS Heavy horse) for the SYW! That would solve some issues for me!

Thanks

John
johnl5555  United States of America

Posted by MABO on 25 Jun 2021, 15:38

Ochoin wrote:
As you know, in the past, they've released a veritable deluge of sets at a time, so I imagine this might happen in the near future.

donald

Of course you're right, but I am wondering when. I have the feeling that they have more sets in line waiting than ever.

Concerning the Highlanders, I alao think they are a little great and stiff, but let's see what we get after the production.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 25 Jun 2021, 15:52

I love that field kitchen, I want one for my birthday next month! :mrgreen:

I also like those Afrika Corps and Arabian figure. ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 25 Jun 2021, 16:39

Peter wrote:I love that field kitchen, I want one for my birthday next month! :mrgreen:

I hope you will get something better to eat on your birthday! :beer:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Minuteman on 25 Jun 2021, 22:28

Ochoin wrote:

donald

Strelets announced this new set quite recently in the context of being a replacement for a Crimean set, although in reality this has proven not to be the case. Nonetheless, there has been a bit of debate in the Strelets Forum about quite what era these Highlanders are meant to be representing.

It is evident that they are much more Napoleonic than Crimean, and yet several of the master figures seen have sporrans (not worn by Napoleonic Highland infantry rank-and-file) and are armed with a weapon that does not look much like a Brown Bess musket.

The sculptor has at least attached bayonets to some of the 'muskets', this important detail not being included on the British Firing Line masters seen a few weeks ago.

It remains to be seen quite how this set turns out. Recent Napoleonic sets from Strelets have had a bit of a mixed reception, not least due to poorly-sculpted horses; but overall the sculpting style is pleasing, and if Strelets can produce more Napoleonic sets which are historically accurate then this can only be good for the hobby.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Minuteman on 25 Jun 2021, 22:32

Minuteman wrote:
Strelets announced this new set quite recently in the context of being a replacement for a Crimean set, although in reality this has proven not to be the case. Nonetheless, there has been a bit of debate in the Strelets Forum about quite what era these Highlanders are meant to be representing.

It is evident that they are much more Napoleonic than Crimean, and yet several of the master figures seen have sporrans (not usually worn by Napoleonic Highland infantry) and are armed with a weapon that does not look much like a Brown Bess musket. Indeed, since there is a lot of information available about Napoleonic Scottish infantry uniform, it is a bit surprising that this error has crept in.

The sculptor has at least attached bayonets to some of the 'muskets', this important detail not being included on the British Firing Line masters seen a few weeks ago.

It remains to be seen quite how this set turns out. Recent Napoleonic sets from Strelets have had a bit of a mixed reception, not least due to poorly-sculpted horses; but overall the sculpting style is pleasing, and if Strelets can produce more Napoleonic sets which are historically accurate then this can only be good for the hobby.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Flambeau on 25 Jun 2021, 23:18

#Ochoin,

yes the Highlanders look somewhat odd, at least the first figure with the beret. I can't really say why, but somehow either the beret or the head looks a bit too small. And they all look a little stiff, even the wounded officer passing the colour to the sergeant, the sculpt reminds me a bit of the pathetic poses in Soviet propaganda paintings.
All it all I think they don't add much to existing sets particularly Strelets own sets of Highlanders or Waterloo 1815's Highlanders in square. For Napoleonics the sporrans are wrong and for the Crimea, the bonnets are to small (and have a visor) and there are no beards, which feature prominently on most contemporary photographs, so ...
Flambeau  Germany

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 29 Jun 2021, 22:25

257 - WSS Austrian Cuirassiers

Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Posted by Ochoin on 29 Jun 2021, 22:37

Nice. Especially the fop ploughing the skins.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Bluefalchion on 29 Jun 2021, 22:41

Ochoin wrote:Nice. Especially the fop ploughing the skins.

donald

He is a regular fancy pants!
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 02 Jul 2021, 00:25

Next WSS cavalry preview.

903 - “Thin Red Line“ Crimean War Scottish Highlanders (reworked version)

Posted by Ochoin on 02 Jul 2021, 02:26

As I've written before, there's something odd about the Scots (I'm talking about the figures above, but speaking as a Scot, we're a little "different" too ;-) ).

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Bluefalchion on 02 Jul 2021, 02:47

I think their torsos are too long.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 02 Jul 2021, 20:42

Todays preview has more arabian/north african irregulars. :thumbup:

Posted by pipers on 02 Jul 2021, 21:07

Can be the next wss cavalry Austrian late cuirassiers?
Could i use these for syw prussian cuirassiers?
pipers  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 02 Jul 2021, 22:29

pipers wrote:Can be the next wss cavalry Austrian late cuirassiers?
Could i use these for syw prussian cuirassiers?

Good questions. I'm thinking the same.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Graeme on 03 Jul 2021, 04:23

If you can't immediately think of a good reason why you can't use these figures for the SYW, I'd think that's a good enough reason why you can.

The body proportions of those Scots figures are wrong, I agree with Aaron, the torsos are too long for the width of the shoulders. The legs may also be a bit long and the heads perhaps a bit small. It appears that they're also a bit confused about which war they're serving in. Strelets have had some real hits in recent times but this is a definite miss.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Ochoin on 03 Jul 2021, 06:13

Graeme wrote:If you can't immediately think of a good reason why you can't use these figures for the SYW, I'd think that's a good enough reason why you can.

Goodness knows, Graeme, I've used some pretty dodgy "close-enoughs" & I'll almost certainly use these for ,at least. Austrian SYW cuirassiers (& maybe Prussian) but I'd like to know what vital detail they lackto make them 100% authentic.

...always good to know.....
cheers donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Flambeau on 03 Jul 2021, 10:22

Graeme, Ochoin,

I suppose you're talking about those WoSS cuirassiers WITH tricornes, those with helmets will be unsuitable for 7YW unless you go for conversions. There are a few notable differences, among the most obvious

- Prussian and Austrian cuirassiers NO backplate.
- hair tied into a single very long braid.
- smaller cuffs
- coats with turnbacks (perhaps they will have those, but then will be less usable for many nations during WoSS)

I still use conversions of Zvezda Saxon Cuirassiers (with Revell Austrian artillery heads) for 7YW cuirassiers.
Flambeau  Germany

Previous pageNext page

Return to Miniatures News