Miniatures News

Strelets news 2020 - 2024

Posted by PhilC on 14 Jan 2022, 10:56

Susofrick wrote:Great to see and one must try to be strong to not start with a new era!

Excellent masters indeed. And I've been strong so far, bought a few boxes but painted none of them :mrgreen:
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by MABO on 17 Jan 2022, 19:24

Stronger than me I put one on my table already.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Minuteman on 17 Jan 2022, 20:21

PhilC wrote:
Excellent masters indeed. And I've been strong so far, bought a few boxes but painted none of them :mrgreen:

Start painting them and you will find that you are hooked. Those big, bold cuffs, the decoration around the officer's tricornes... the realisation that there is more to painting colourful uniforms than simply 'Napoleonics'.... :-D :yeah:
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by PhilC on 17 Jan 2022, 21:28

... and the flags! Funnier than in most other periods - a good challenge for handpainting !
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by MikeRC97 on 01 Feb 2022, 14:48

PSC posted a review of the Russian Napoleonic Jaegers (in summer dress):

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/review.aspx?id=2345

Very high marks and in the pics the figures look just as good as the masters previewed by Strelets.

PSC has the average height of the figures as 24mm, same as the Zvezda Russian Heavy Infantry Grenadiers. As soon as I can get my hands on a set of the Strelets figures I will post some comparison pics.

It seems like Strelets has two main sculptors working for them these days. The Napoleonic and WWII sets (with the masters sculpted in red) appear to be very similar to the Esci/Italeri style of figures while the WSS figures are a bit chunkier, but still very nice. I really hope they continue to use the sculptor that is working on the Napoleonic and WWII sets as I really like style of these figures.
MikeRC97  

Posted by Bessiere on 01 Feb 2022, 18:33

Another excellent set by Strelets. I can't say enough great things about PSR as I re-entered the hobby 4 years ago and was rather overwhelmed with the various choices. The pictures and size comparisons quickly eliminated buying many sets and helped me find precisely those I wanted. I likely would have spent several hundred dollars purchasing sets just to see what they looked like. PSR is an invaluable resource.

I am just starting a Russian army and look forward to using the Strelets set for light infantry. Still waiting on those new Redbox Cossack units, is there any release date for those? Thanks again for your dedication to the hobby. 1/72 is either in your blood or it isn't. Airfix set me on this road over 50 years ago. Amazing how far things have progressed for those who love this scale.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kekso on 03 Feb 2022, 07:28

I don't agree with Russian Jaegers ratings. Many poses look too stiff and unnatural. Derails aren't too crisp.
Just to be clear, figures look good but not like 9 or 10.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 07 Feb 2022, 17:00

Strelets revealed another fantastic looking set in its entirety today. :thumbup:
274 - Nap. Bavarian Infantry in square

Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Posted by Peter on 08 Feb 2022, 16:18

Wonderfull figures but I miss some kneeling ones. ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Flambeau on 08 Feb 2022, 18:47

Peter wrote:Wonderfull figures but I miss some kneeling ones. ;-)

I'm not quite sure about the Bavarian drill, but our image of a square is very much inspired by the iconic pictures of the British squares at Waterloo. In fact to have the outer ranks kneeling was not as common as we tend to think. You will have a hard time to find paintings showing Russian squares with kneeling soldiers, all paintings that I know of show everybody standing.

We had the discussion a while ago over at the Strelets forum and this is what Strelets had to say about the topic:

"Russian squares were hollow, unless they were caught by a sudden attack of a foe on the march, then marching columns could build a solid square.
Suvorov's squares were of a battalion or regimental strength with 1-2 companies on each side and one inside as a reserve. They were primary battle formations to be used against "basurmans" (Muslims), as opposed to lines or columns, used against European armies.
Squares were attacking (!) formations, they were supposed to repel initial fierce charge of muslim cavalry and then counter-attack in this formation, hence no chance for kneeling line. Two rear lines were shooting, the front line used bayonets. This tactics was used in European wars as well ...,"

French infantry apperently used both versions

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... _06267.JPG

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gefecht_v ... A1ndez.JPG

The Brunswickers at Quatre Bras might have been standing as well:
http://uniformenportal.de/picture.php?/283/categories

http://uniformenportal.de/picture.php?/285/categories

as was the practice with other German troops (but not the KGL).

Certainly warrants some more research.
Last edited by Peter on 08 Feb 2022, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed picture(s).
Flambeau  Germany

Posted by Peter on 08 Feb 2022, 19:04

I think it depends on the situation on the battlefield if there were kneeling soldiers or not. Very interesting information by the way! Like it! Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

PS: you are member of an other forum? :shock: :-D :joker:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 08 Feb 2022, 20:20

Strelets surprisingly revealed a very nice WSS drummer figure. :thumbup:

Posted by Flambeau on 08 Feb 2022, 21:22

Peter wrote:I think it depends on the situation on the battlefield if there were kneeling soldiers or not. Very interesting information by the way! Like it! Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

PS: you are member of an other forum? :shock: :-D :joker:

a) Perhaps, but I'd think it rather depended on drill practise. The French at Garcia Hernandez were commanded by Foy and had lots of experience with British battlefield tactics (didn't do them much good though ...), so they may have tried copy some of those.

If you want to know more about squares look here

http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/infan ... st_cavalry

Interestingly it says here that:

"The Prussians switched from the hollow to solid square in 1809. In the Instruction zum Exerciren der Infanterie issued in that year was stated: "All the manners which have been formerly in use to form the square are abolished. Instead of them, at any time, a massed battalion is used."
The regulations issued in 1812, Exercir Reglement fur die Infanterie, eliminated the hollow square alltogether in favour of a dense column formed from the attack column, or Angriffscolonne. Prussian battalion comprised four companies, two platoon, or zuge, each. The attack column was formed on the two center platoons (4th and 5th), by having the outer platoons turned towards the center and marched behind the leading platoon. It was from this battalion attack column (Angriffscolonne) the square was formed by making the 1st and 8th Platoon turnabout, and the outer files turn left and right respctively. The space between the platoons was filled by the NCOs."

For the French there's of course also the famous picture by Lejeune:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_ ... ejeune.jpg

b) Strelets' isn't a membership forum, it's free all (including the occasional spamming moron), but it's easily accessible (especially from my mobile - can't remember all those passwords ;-) - and judging by the names of the folks posting there, there are other people from this forum posting there too. Way too many forums out there by now, so I'm trying to restrict myself (only to the best of course :-D )
Flambeau  Germany

Posted by Peter on 08 Feb 2022, 22:19

Flambeau wrote:b) Strelets' isn't a membership forum, it's free all (including the occasional spamming moron), but it's easily accessible (especially from my mobile - can't remember all those passwords ;-) - and judging by the names of the folks posting there, there are other people from this forum posting there too. Way too many forums out there by now, so I'm trying to restrict myself (only to the best of course :-D )

:-D I was teasing a bit. :joker:

And thank you for giving me some more things to read! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 11 Feb 2022, 11:00

After a short & well-deserved winter break Strelets seem to have returned to the popular Friday previews. This week's figures announce some excellently chosen sets again. :thumbup:

WWII - early US Infantry / Marines 1941 Pacific theatre

WSS - Austrian Infantry in attack / advance?

WWII - Japanese Infantry

Posted by Rich W on 13 Feb 2022, 01:09

Really liking the WSS figure. If other poses in that set are just as energetic it will be a very fun set to paint!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 14 Feb 2022, 22:44

Another excellent looking preview today. :thumbup:
262 - WSS Bavarian Infantry Firing Line
12 grunts in action poses and 4 command figures.

Posted by Rich W on 16 Feb 2022, 23:43

I think this raises the WSS bar again-looking forward to them!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Bluefalchion on 17 Feb 2022, 06:20

The differences between the soldiers of various powers in the WSS are a bit subtle...
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by MikeRC97 on 17 Feb 2022, 13:25

Bluefalchion wrote:The differences between the soldiers of various powers in the WSS are a bit subtle...

I was wondering about that. It seems like for most WSS armies the quartermaster had a relatively simple job:

Tricorn? Check
Ridiculously Oversized Cuffs? Check
Frilly Lacy Blouse? Check
“OK soldier you’re good to go”

All joking aside are there uniform details that would distinguish these unpainted Bavarian figures at this scale from say WSS French or WSS British figures?

Muskets at this scale are rarely so detailed that they are very distinguishable either, I know that from painting 1/72 nappies.
MikeRC97  

Previous pageNext page

Return to Miniatures News