Miniatures News

Strelets news 2020 - 2024

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 23 Apr 2022, 18:34

Additional masters for two (?) WWII sets. :thumbup:

WWII early US Infantry (1941/42 pacific theatre)

WWII Japanese Infantry in combat
Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Apr 2022, 13:54

Is Strelets still there? BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 25 Apr 2022, 18:19

They seem to be.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Bessiere on 27 Apr 2022, 13:07

There is a size issue with the rifle that last Japanese figure is holding up like a barbel. Why so big and why hold it like that?
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Flambeau on 06 May 2022, 23:46

Just in case nobody noticed:

Strelets has announced another set of figures for the WoSS: WSS set 263 Spanish (pro-Bourbon) Infantry in Square.

Masters can be viewed here: http://pub33.bravenet.com/forum/static/ ... 2&cmd=show
Flambeau  Germany

Posted by Bluefalchion on 07 May 2022, 03:21

I read that the Strelets-R storage unit was damaged but apparently the key people are still healthy and operating. I am praying for all the persons involved in that terrible war, on both sides, and far a peaceful end at the earliest moment.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 13 May 2022, 05:21

Last week, another hopefully soon to be released set was completely revealed.

263 - WSS Spanish Infantry in square

Today, we can see further figures for WWII early US & Japanese Infantry in combat (1941/42 pacific theatre).

Posted by Kekso on 15 May 2022, 12:35

For a change, I'm not really impressed with sculpting and poses of these:

Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 15 May 2022, 14:54

Is that really how they held their muskets?

I am just glad Strelets is showing any sign of activity/operation at this point.

Posted by Rich W on 15 May 2022, 23:17

Firstly, I'm just pleased Strelets are still able to show masters and appear to have the ambition to continue as soon as they can again.

However, i would agree that this is not a set I'm as excited about. I like the poses, but basically this is a set of 2 poses with the slightest of variations. I think they could have halved the number of these poses and been a bit more imaginative in putting some others in. Surely a square would have had a few men firing in it?
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Graeme on 16 May 2022, 02:09

Bluefalchion wrote:Is that really how they held their muskets?

For the figures holding the musket at shoulder height, I believe that is the correct bayonet drill for the time. My guess is that the stance was inherited from the use of pikes not so very long before this.

Not sure about them being in square though, for troops threatened by cavalry I might expect a rank of men kneeling with the musket butt grounded and the bayonet angled outwards (Also a pike drill). As Rich said there could also be some figures firing over the shoulder of the men with charged bayonet.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Flambeau on 17 May 2022, 20:59

Please forget about the image of the British squares at Waterloo just because they were so successful and became so iconic! Though it might hurt a bit, kneeling ranks were the exception rather than the standard. Napoleonic Russians, Austrians, Prussians didn't use them, In most cases the square was considered to be a MOBILE formation. Even in British drill instructions in the mid 18th century there's no talk of kneeling ranks in squares. Take a look here:
A system of camp-discipline, military honours, garrison-duty, and other other regulations for the land forces, London 1757.
https://books.google.de/books?id=YEEIAA ... &q&f=false
Search for "square". There's plenty of talk of moving square's, none of stationary. It's good formation to retreat if threatened by cavalry and was used as such.
So, imho the poses are just fine. Firing poses can be added from other sets, the uniforms are similar enough.
Flambeau  Germany

Posted by Minuteman on 17 May 2022, 22:42

I agree with the sentiment that any new masters from Strelets right now can only be a good thing. So a 'well done' to Strelets.

I must say that I would have preferred a more 'conventional' set of poses for these Spanish infantry though. Whilst forming square was certainly in the drill book for early c18th infantry, relatively little is to be read in the extant accounts of the time describing this tactic in comparison, say, with infantry firefights, assaults on defended towns or salients etc.

The pose involving holding the butt of the musket and using it at shoulder height as the soldier would do with a polearm/pike was still being used by British infantry in the mid C18th...certainly in the '45 when British infantry in line faced charging clansmen this way, according to David Morier (the sad reality however was that few clansmen got through the volleys to get that close).

I think that these Spanish will look fine when massed together. Let us hope that Strelets are in a position to actually produce them before too long.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Flambeau on 17 May 2022, 23:23

The only thing that makes these Spanish - as far as I can see - is the grenadier caps. The cartridge pouch on the belt can easliy be removed and if you want different grenadiers, head swaps should not be too difficult with these. So what we've got is basically generic infantry in square. I'm not too picky here when it comes to painting figures as different nationalities from what it says on the box (unless they are French dragoons). The haircut might be an issue, but then again, overall all these figures - like in most sets - look rather too good, much better than the real thing would have looked like. Just read an account of the battle of Speyerbach and there were colonels complaining that some troops were "ruined" well before the battle, without pay, at half strength and not properly dressed, looking more like beggars than soldiers. So let's not be too harsh with these fine fellows ... 8)
Flambeau  Germany

Posted by Minuteman on 18 May 2022, 08:57

Flambeau wrote:The only thing that makes these Spanish - as far as I can see - is the grenadier caps. The cartridge pouch on the belt can easliy be removed and if you want different grenadiers, head swaps should not be too difficult with these. So what we've got is basically generic infantry in square. I'm not too picky here when it comes to painting figures as different nationalities from what it says on the box (unless they are French dragoons). The haircut might be an issue, but then again, overall all these figures - like in most sets - look rather too good, much better than the real thing would have looked like. Just read an account of the battle of Speyerbach and there were colonels complaining that some troops were "ruined" well before the battle, without pay, at half strength and not properly dressed, looking more like beggars than soldiers. So let's not be too harsh with these fine fellows ... 8)

I agree Flambeau, but then it was ever thus. Our armies almost always look too pristine, and on the odd occasion when I see units created by someone who is (a) very good at modelling/painting and (b) wants a realistic look, then the result looks somewhat comical....as a bunch of scarecrows might look. I am thinking in particular of various late Napoleonic French units in 28mm that I have seen, with various greatcoats, caps, other headgear, sacks of provisions etc etc.

These Spanish may indeed serve well as French or other infantry of the period. The Grenadier caps can be swapped for other headgear quite easily, as you observe.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 20 May 2022, 01:10

This weeks friday preview has some great looking WSS figures. :thumbup:

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Rich W on 23 May 2022, 23:23

Excellent WSS sculpts again!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 27 May 2022, 09:34

Further WSS Cuirassiers revealed today.
Looks like we can expect a third set of Austrian/Bavarian Cuirassiers in helmets? :thumbup:

The masters of the earlier announced sets (257 & 258 WSS Austrian respectively Bavarian Cuirassiers) can be seen here at Bennos (page 31 & 39 of this thread) or directly at Strelets website.
http://www.strelets-r.com/Pages/Set.aspx?SetID=417&M=Z
http://www.strelets-r.com/Pages/Set.aspx?SetID=435&M=Z

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 03 Jun 2022, 14:16

This week has more WSS Cuirassiers again. :thumbup:

Posted by Fire at Will on 03 Jun 2022, 19:16

Do I need them - NO

Will I buy them - YES, they really look nice
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Previous pageNext page

Return to Miniatures News