Miniatures News

Orion news 2019

Posted by marc zijp on 26 May 2019, 15:27

This one is nice.
Local Communist Forse, Vietnam war.
Should be Force I guess, but set has original poses.
http://theredbox.com.ua/set/188.htm
marc zijp  

Posted by Paul on 26 May 2019, 17:14

Not my period of interest but I can think of a use, with a bit of conversion, for the Porters
Paul  China

Posted by Jesse on 27 May 2019, 18:00

The Vietnam set looks to have only wwii-era weapons. Perhaps some could have had ak-47s and other post-war weapons, if used for the 60s-70s. On the other hand, these should be suitable for the french period in the 50s!
Jesse  Sweden

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 27 May 2019, 19:27

The four mentioned Orion sets are already released now (available at Linear-A shop). :yeah:

72050 - WWII US Tank Crew (winter dress)
72054 - WWII German Antiresistance Troops (actually Feldgendarmerie & Gestapo figures)
72055 - 16th-17th century Turkish Deli Cavalry (Ottoman irregular light cavalry)
72056 - Vietnam War Local Communist Force (Việt Minh, First Indochina War)

Looking forward to order at least the three 20th Century ones. :thumbup:
Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Posted by Ben Bob on 27 May 2019, 20:51

marc zijp wrote:Or Volkssturm. What’s the fifth figure bottom row holding in his hand? Third figure top row is also holding something unidentifiable. Anyone?

The guy in he bottom row may have a handheld stop sign hanging from a wrist-strap. The fellow in the top row probably has a rifle just held at an odd angle.

As for the Vietnamese: some of he weapons may be SKS rifles which would be OK, but it's hard to see the detail to be sure.
Ben Bob  United States of America

Posted by Umpapa on 27 May 2019, 22:23

I like all of them. I will surely buy US Tank Crew, German Feldgendarmerie & Gestapo (for my pulp games) and Viet Minh (convert for China WW2 and Warlords era).
Umpapa  Poland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bluefalchion on 28 May 2019, 03:26

We have not had a new Vietnam set in this hobby for quite some time. Too bad there do not appear to be any women fighters in the set, although they are depicted on the stunning box photograph.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Bluefalchion on 28 May 2019, 16:35

hodude wrote:The one to the left of the bicycle appears to be female.

Ah, yes. Correct. That could be very interesting. And I suppose these figures could be used for a great many things.

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 07 Jun 2019, 11:42

For a couple of days now, PSR provides descriptive images of the 4 latest Orion sets at the "Awaiting Review" section. :yeah:
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/AwaitingReview.aspx

72050 - WWII US Tank Crew (winter dress)
72054 - WWII German Antiresistance Troops (Feldgendarmerie & Gestapo)
72055 - 16th-17th century Turkish Deli Cavalry (Ottoman irregular light cavalry)
72056 - Vietnam War Local Communist Force (Viet Minh, First Indochina & Vietnam War)

Paul wrote:No idea what they are Holding. 5th one Bottom row. A large Yo-Yo? The other, 3rd top row. A crutch to support his incredibly Long legs when Standing still ?
Strangely..the last one Bottom row Looks, with the way the Barrel Looks too thin for an MP 40, like he´s Holding a grease gun :-)

As mentioned before, the "Antiresistance" set actually depicts the dreaded Kettenhunde and Gestapo. Almost all men in uniform wear metal gorgets which identifies them as military field police.
As expected, the 5th bottom row (box art) seems to hold a Polizeikelle (traffic paddle).
3rd top row seems to hold an ordinary Karabiner 98k.
Thought the submachine gun of the last one bottom row could have been a MP 3008 "Volksmaschinenpistole", but it seems to be a carelessly sculptured MP 40.
The slightly derogatory long leg-style aside, I especially like the Gestapo figures and the general level of detail.
Only 1 out of 12 poses is useless for me (guy shooting while walking, 1st middle row at PSR), the others are very welcome figures for a novel subject in 1/72.

The US tankers & Viet Minh are both on my shopping list as well. :-D
Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Posted by Paul on 25 Jun 2019, 12:31

As usual..the same mistake (as virtually all manufacturers make) with the two carrying the box
Paul  China

Posted by Bluefalchion on 25 Jun 2019, 15:56

And what is that mistake?

Posted by Graeme on 26 Jun 2019, 02:59

Out of step.

These ones are out of line too, which I think might make things difficult on a narrow jungle track.

Aside from that you have to applaud Orion for putting a good nunber of porters in the set, they played such a massive role in that conflict. I imagine some people are eyeing these for use in other conflicts too.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Paul on 26 Jun 2019, 08:44

Graeme´s Right. It´s not impossible to carry stretchers or slung loads between two carriers but not as easy if both are in step. . The load starts to swing and to Keep going (correct the swing) takes a lot of effort and Energy, particually for the Person at the back. Basically, within a short distance the rear Person would fall into step with the front one.
There´s one at where I work who, if put at the back when carrying a shared load, Always goes out of step.. The rest of us have learnt that after shouting at him etc, he now only carries shared loads when he´s at the front.

Also, out of line. I know it´s done to carry a load like this but The one at the back will have thier Vision badly restricted with the load that high.

Both out of step is ok with just one set but all 4 Even swopping front bod for the rear would only give two sets but Looking similar and unannatural..virtually all manufacturers make this mistake

One lot could be used as shown at PSR, another, swop the front and back carrier and replace the load with a lower slung one.. the rest single poles with a small load at each end or one pole with a larger load at the back..or...use two in step to carry the same load. That´d give two lots (granted same poses) in step and two sets out of step..looks way more natural.

Actually, now thinking about it..using the ideas above and with a couple of head swops, combine them with the single bod and a large transport column could be created.
Paul  China

Posted by Wiking on 26 Jun 2019, 09:56

@Paul
I remember that you show us a few wrong teams in the past with "out of step".

Graeme wrote:
I imagine some people are eyeing these for use in other conflicts too.

Yes me.
Hopefully not all fire arms in shape look like post WWII.
And yes I too applaud for that different poses .

Orion great idea !

The bike !
It is hard to do it nice in soft plastic.
But once again Orion do a single figure for pushing the bike.
So I can use the figure. To push a mule ?
Wiking  Germany

Previous page

Return to Miniatures News