Miniatures News

Strelets - Imperial Guard marching

Posted by Paul on 15 Feb 2019, 19:16

Paul  China

Posted by zirrian on 16 Feb 2019, 16:44

One would assume only Old Guards served in Napoleon's army based on the miniatures released by manufacturers :/
zirrian  Hungary

Posted by FredG on 16 Feb 2019, 17:00

That would depend on the manufacturers you are looking at. I do seem to have a great number of other infantry in the stash
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by marc zijp on 16 Feb 2019, 18:48

Finally some marching old guard for my Plancenoit project. I got a firing line old guard, firing line guard chasseurs as well as young guard, but just very few old guard marching. From the old revell old guard set in greatcoats.
Hopefully old guard without greatcoat for my Borodino project in future as well.
I have light chasseurs, light voltigeurs, light carabiniers, line grenadiers with bearskins and with shako, line voltigeurs, line fuseliers, guard chasseurs, middle guard all marching and firing line, but only a few old guard marching by Zwezda. So they are most welcome.
In other words: one would assume the French army had a lot of branches, based on the miniatures released by manufacters.

I welcome the old guard and I’m not the only one. They will always sell well and that’s the reason why companies make them. So they are justified to do so.
As long they make other things I will never complain. And Strelets is doing that: they will make my Borodino Russians. And in the near future too.

One branch of the French Napoleonic army really deserves a better new set, that’s for sure: the guard foot artillery!
marc zijp  

Posted by Paul on 16 Feb 2019, 18:56

PSR-.
47 line inf sets and 13 Imperial Guard Infantry sets (discounting the mounted officers set ) and only 5 of those labeled as old or Imperial guard
Paul  China

Posted by MABO on 16 Feb 2019, 19:32

marc zijp wrote:One branch of the French Napoleonic army really deserves a better new set, that’s for sure: the guard foot artillery!
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

I would say there are more artillery sets needed in gerneral. We need Prussian sets, good French and Russian sets, and so on. Zvezda had set a benchmark, but they stopped production.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by marc zijp on 16 Feb 2019, 20:26

Indeed. Good proper Prussian artillery is needed. And what about British horse artillery? Airfix set is about as old as I am. Esci set was missing so much.
As long as Napoleonic Waterloo sales companies will make them.
Not only French, British/Scots sell well too apparently. Otherwise Strelets wasn’t going to make another Scots standing at attention set.
And as I said: as long as they make less selling opponents who can complain?
Okay: you have to wait for the opponents. But that’s part of the hobby. I knew someday my Borodino Russians would come on the future list. Et voilà: Strelets Russians at attention for Borodino period will appear in the not so far future.
marc zijp  

Posted by Marc the plasticsfan on 22 Feb 2019, 12:21

I bought a very nice set of Old Guard artillery from Hagen, so with that and some headswaps from the Zvezda set, I am happy with Guard foot artillery. What I would like is a better set of Guard Horse artillery - ie with bigger colpacks and plumes, and a good set of late war line foot artillery. The Zvezda mini box is ok-ish, but I would really appreciate a more comprehensive selection.

As to line horse artillery, the Franznap sets are beautiful for the early period, but the HaT set is showing its age so could be upgraded.
Marc the plasticsfan  United Kingdom

Posted by Zed1 on 22 Feb 2019, 17:44

Well - I would appreciate new Prussian artillery, too. Btw - what about Russian horse artillery? Has that ever be made in 1/72?

When it comes up to what's really missing on the 1/72 market, it's Napoleonic infantry in close quarter combat. In HaT sets, you find one or two figures that can be used for melee situations, but that's it. I remember Strelet's set of dismounted dragoons and Polish grenadiers - there were plenty of figures using for a fight in the streets. Unfortunately, Strelets never managed to produce a similar set of British/Spanish soldiers.

Whatever. I think that Prussian Landwehr/line infantry/Britisch line infantry and French line/guard infantry should also come with a close fighting set. So I'm gonna send Strelets a little love letter. How about you?
Zed1  Germany

Posted by vellek on 22 Feb 2019, 22:01

vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by marc zijp on 23 Feb 2019, 12:51

The Hagen sets are good, I got them, but they are on the large size. And metal is not plastic.
And Yes: I think it’s about time for some close quarter combat sets too for the British, Highlanders, French, Prussians, Russians, Austrians.
Not that I need them all, or a lot, but I will buy them for my running projects nevertheless.

Well, got another idea for decades: sets with dead and wounded.
Start with the most popular themes (French Napoleonic and so on) and see how it sells.
With twelve-sixteen dead/wounded poses in one set I can do a lot. Especially when they are in much used uniforms (french Napoleonic greatcoat e.g.). Good thing about dead/wounded figures: a diorama maker can toss and throw them all around the battlefield, doesn’t matter if fuseliers lie inbetween attacking guard grenadiers or the enemy troops.
Until now no one has dared to make them, and probably I will get the whole wargaming community against me, but diorama makers are also a considarable part of this hobby.
marc zijp  

Posted by vellek on 23 Feb 2019, 19:44

I completely agree with you Marc. Casualties can be grouped together like many command sets are (e.g. Prussians and Austrians, British and Highlanders, etc.) and this can be done for many historical periods. I think they'd sell nicely.
vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by MABO on 24 Feb 2019, 08:03

marc zijp wrote:Until now no one has dared to make them,....

Hello Marc,

I am not sure if they are still available, but Ykreol made a wide range of dead / wounded figures of all nations. One can say the are not good, but painted they might do.

Have a look here:

http://www.ykreol.com/ykreol72.html

http://www.ykreol.com/SPYK10.html

MABO  Europe

Posted by marc zijp on 24 Feb 2019, 09:23

Thanks Mabo, yes I know them and they weren’t available at my dealers those days, because, well, they aren’t that good.
I bought several of the French and Russian dead and wounded by Art Miniaturen and those are good. Perfect for 1812 period. Also some Prussians, but not available anymore.
I also bought that one set by Legio, French Light infantry. That one is a bit out of scale.
The Russian figures by Leon has some good ones, so I’ve got them too.
Schilling Figuren also got dead and wounded, but I think they are hard to mix with the rest of the plastic army.
FranzNap has announced several sets for an ambulance setting:
French field hospital doctors and surgeons
French field hospital rescue personnel
French field hospital wounded soldiers
and a set with ambulance with accesories.

But still: you would not buy those in quantities.
Plastic has a more affordable price compared to metal (& resin) as we know, amongst other benefits (making conversions is easier).

I look forward to the Franznap sets!
(shown figures in links might not be the final product)
http://franznap.jigsy.com/SHOP#!/FA-065 ... y=10028358

http://franznap.jigsy.com/SHOP#!/FA-067 ... y=10028358
marc zijp  

Posted by marc zijp on 24 Feb 2019, 09:26

In the Franznap it’s mentioned they are sold out but that’s not right: they aren’t available yet.
marc zijp  

Posted by MABO on 24 Feb 2019, 10:20

marc zijp wrote:But still: you would not buy those in quantities.
Plastic has a more affordable price compared to metal (& resin) as we know, amongst other benefits (making conversions is easier).

You are right about that, I just wanted to take your eyes off Ykreol in case you did no noticed. I have a lot of Frannap set and they are really wonderful, but in another range than plasticfigs, which is absolutely ok.

ut I do not think that a big producer of plastic sets will create a set of dead and wounded. I can imagine that this is a set for real hobbyist and they are to rare for the necessary number boxes to be sold.

Maybe a new producer like https://www.speira.net will make them when they deal with Napoleonics some day?
MABO  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by marc zijp on 24 Feb 2019, 10:45

I’m afraid you’re right, but I never give up my hopes!
Imo stranger more unexpected sets have occured in our hobby.
Who would have thought a company would make my dreamset of American rangers for d-day Omaha? With enough dead and wounded to please me. Got eight of them and still by busy making conversions and small alterations.
Regards!
marc zijp  

Posted by Bluefalchion on 24 Feb 2019, 18:20

marc zijp wrote:I’m afraid you’re right, but I never give up my hopes!
Imo stranger more unexpected sets have occured in our hobby.
Who would have thought a company would make my dreamset of American rangers for d-day Omaha? With enough dead and wounded to please me. Got eight of them and still by busy making conversions and small alterations.
Regards!

Discovering Plastic Soldier Review and the Pegasus D-Day Rangers set got me back into this hobby back in 2007. And I am still here. No advice on dead Napoleonics, except many ESCI poses are so flat they could probably be converted.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Return to Miniatures News