Miniatures News

Speira Ancient Indian War Elephant

Posted by Traveller1865 on 14 Apr 2019, 20:15

Mahout with beard

Traveller1865  Sweden

In memoriam

Posted by Misteredd on 16 Apr 2019, 09:41

Marvellous figures! I ca not wait to see their opponents! Alexanders army? Hellenistic Greeks? Polybian romans? So many options! Great sculpting!
Misteredd  

Posted by Traveller1865 on 16 Apr 2019, 10:49

Hopefully some Macedonian infantry, however sarissas are difficult to implement due to their length,
Traveller1865  Sweden

In memoriam

Posted by Misteredd on 16 Apr 2019, 13:32

A fighting Sarissa Phalanx is a long overdue dream!
Misteredd  

Posted by marc zijp on 18 Apr 2019, 05:33

That’s correct: the old Zvezda macedonian phlanx set is limited in poses and some of them are not correct. The sarissas are nicely done, but to much and too fiddly work (several parts).
At least 10, or 12 poses are needed for such a set, but preferable more.
I still have my hopes on Strelets for such a set, so you can build several phalanxes at relatively low costs, but the problem is the sarissa: it’s length and the cupped or ringed hands must be in line with each other.
marc zijp  

Posted by Traveller1865 on 18 Apr 2019, 07:19

Marc is right, a phalanx is probably better for a plastic manufacturer to do, since 3D printed figures would be expensive and ring hands don't look that good with this technology. For 3D printed figures macedonians fighting with swords which is rare in 1/72 or officers, casualties and such might be better.
Traveller1865  Sweden

In memoriam

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by marc zijp on 18 Apr 2019, 07:57

Talking about casualties: are Napoleonic casualties, dead/wounded an option for Speira Miniatures? Got some metal ones (e.g.Art Miniaturen, difficult to get, most are out of production already), but room and the need for much more.
Don’t think any plastic manufacturer will ever produce such a set. I’m in this hobby for decades now, got a lot of patience but also the wisdom to know that most wargamers don’t want them (or at least not as much as diorama fans need them), so got to find other ways to get such figures.
While I still think I’m really not the only one with that wish!
One can start with the popular plastic ranges already produced and/or main countries/period (which is evidently late Napoleonic): French fusiliers, guard grenadiers, British/Scots. Perhaps later Russians, Prussians, Austrians. And of course infantry, that being the bulk of any army.
marc zijp  

Posted by Traveller1865 on 18 Apr 2019, 08:27

marc zijp wrote:Talking about casualties: are Napoleonic casualties, dead/wounded an option for Speira Miniatures? Got some metal ones (e.g.Art Miniaturen, difficult to get, most are out of production already), but room and the need for much more.
Don’t think any plastic manufacturer will ever produce such a set. I’m in this hobby for decades now, got a lot of patience but also the wisdom to know that most wargamers don’t want them (or at least not as much as diorama fans need them), so got to find other ways to get such figures.
While I still think I’m really not the only one with that wish!
One can start with the popular plastic ranges already produced and/or main countries/period (which is evidently late Napoleonic): French fusiliers, guard grenadiers, British/Scots. Perhaps later Russians, Prussians, Austrians. And of course infantry, that being the bulk of any army.

We do have such plans, one reason it's taking some time is my lack of knowledge of the Napoleonic period, should the french infantry casualty have the pre-bardine uniform or not? What should the shako look like for year 18xx and what equipment should a generic horse casualty have? Is a "generic Napoleonic casualty" possible? I have no idea what people want.

It's a lot more complex than doing casualties for the Civil War. So I/we would need lot of help in this area from people with more knowledge, if you or anyone else could come up with good suggestions and reference material what you would like to see in the casualty area, and more importantly what would you order in great numbers? I can't promise production would start soon, we have some new lines to launch first, but if we get some serious suggestions and source material it would speed things up.
Traveller1865  Sweden

In memoriam

Posted by marc zijp on 18 Apr 2019, 08:46

I understand your (solvable) problems completely, and the long time schedule for the required research. First: time should never be a problem in this hobby. Most of us have the experience with waiting, not rarely for more than a decade before a most wanted set or figures are in ones hand.

I am willing to help you! For sending links and suggestions. And I hope more people are.
Contact by a personal message?
Fb is also an option to exchange our email adresses.
Regards!
Marc Zijp.
marc zijp  

Posted by Traveller1865 on 18 Apr 2019, 09:08

PM is good, or a thread would also be good so more could see and contribute.
Traveller1865  Sweden

In memoriam

Posted by marc zijp on 18 Apr 2019, 12:36

I send you a personal message.
Regards,
Marc
marc zijp  

Posted by Traveller1865 on 18 Apr 2019, 19:04

Traveller1865  Sweden

In memoriam

Posted by Traveller1865 on 30 Apr 2019, 21:42

Jumping of joy, perhaps release is near..

Traveller1865  Sweden

In memoriam

Previous page

Return to Miniatures News