Miniatures News

WW1 French summer dress-Strelets

Posted by marc zijp on 21 Jan 2019, 21:30

Masters: http://www.strelets-r.com/Pages/Set.aspx?SetID=331&M=M

With, as we call it in our hobby, a ballet dancer.
marc zijp  

Posted by Bluefalchion on 22 Jan 2019, 02:57

Those WWI French look really good to me.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by marc zijp on 22 Jan 2019, 03:41

I always like a lot of advancing poses in ww1/ww2 sets and these figures are all moving forward so that’s a good thing.
marc zijp  

Posted by Graeme on 22 Jan 2019, 04:02

The bottom left corner figure is definately "Ballet dancing with bayonet" and maybe the one next to it. But the rest are great, good believable firing and advancing poses. Very nicely done.

Those two figures mentioned are not at all bad, but if I didn't like one of the poses it would be easy to fix. Good set.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Bluefalchion on 22 Jan 2019, 06:14

Graeme wrote:Those two figures mentioned are not at all bad, but if I didn't like one of the poses it would be easy to fix. Good set.

Oh, well how would you fix them?

Posted by marc zijp on 22 Jan 2019, 07:35

I agree with Graeme and had the same thing in mind. Hopefully I will fix that with the ‘bend with hot water’ trick.
Not a lot of equipment on them!
I always wanted to create an attack of late French on German trenches in a crater field and that’s why these moving forward poses are all welcome.
Caesar has ww1french infantry set announced for about ten years, so will probably never appear.
The other good set is Pegasus. Imo the revell set is too flat and only a few poses are useable. Dito for the airfix set, which is also outdated, although it still has it’s charmes. I will surely will use the dead pose!
The airfix set is still the only set with a pigeon courier* in it I think?

(pigeon courier?: correct english word?)
marc zijp  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by marc zijp on 22 Jan 2019, 07:41

The Strelets bayonets may be a bit longer though! The French bayonets were quite long: compare them with those of Pegasus and you know what I mean.
marc zijp  

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 22 Jan 2019, 11:29

Wonderful figures, will buy plenty of em.
I was always short of good figures with Adrian helmets, Strelets keeps solving this issue over the last few years now. :-D :thumbup:

Strelets Set M134 - WWI French Infantry in summer dress

http://www.strelets-r.com/Pages/Set.aspx?SetID=331&M=M

48 figures in 12 excellent poses, lively & authentic.
Great sculpting and good value for our money, we could hardly ask for more. :yeah:

Hope they will mix well with their superb Pegasus comrades.
Regarding the "ballerina", I fail to see the problem here. We have seen much worse dancing poses in the past. ;-)

marc zijp wrote:Caesar has ww1french infantry set announced for about ten years, so will probably never appear.

Caesars very nice WWI French were released 2 years ago. :thumbup:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1376
Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Posted by marc zijp on 22 Jan 2019, 11:55

With Caesar French I meant this set. The masters are still on show on their website.
http://www.miniknight.com/images/H034/IMG_0001.jpg
marc zijp  

Posted by Graeme on 22 Jan 2019, 12:32

Bluefalchion wrote:
Oh, well how would you fix them?

Reposition the legs, and the arms too if you want. Bending with hot water is good but if they need a bit more help then a partial cut through a joint helps straighten it and a small wedge cut from a joint helps bend it.

As I said it's not a bad pose, and I agree with Erich we have seen a lot worse; but I think that bottom left figure has potential for some good variations without too much effort.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Graeme on 22 Jan 2019, 13:08

marc zijp wrote:(pigeon courier?: correct english word?)

Marc.

In English the birds were called "Carrier Pigeons", The original species of carrier pigeons is extinct and the birds used were actually "Homing pigeons" also known as "Racing Pigeons" but they were still called carrier pigeons.

The soldier releasing the bird would be called a "Pigeon Handler" but in peacetime Britain people who keep and race pigeons as a hobby are called "Pigeon Fanciers".
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Bluefalchion on 22 Jan 2019, 14:14

Graeme wrote:

Reposition the legs, and the arms too if you want. Bending with hot water is good but if they need a bit more help then a partial cut through a joint helps straighten it and a small wedge cut from a joint helps bend it.

As I said it's not a bad pose, and I agree with Erich we have seen a lot worse; but I think that bottom left figure has potential for some good variations without too much effort.

Marvelous work! Maybe if Remco does not have a guest expert for FIGZ 2019 lined up yet, you could do a live tutorial demonstrating your conversion technique.

Posted by Durruti on 24 Jan 2019, 21:40

Have to agree that the running figure could do with some correction - the grounded leg is too straight giving a slightly stiff, unnatural pose although there's much worse around (eg in Strelet's WW2 Japanese in Attack set). Best thing for sculpters/converters to do is look at some still photos of real people running.

As others, I've found they can definitely benefit from some bending and cutting though. The problem for all manufacturers is the limitation of a single part figure and for Strelets (in the past more so) a very shallow mould leading to some very flat poses. The worst of this is "running-sideways-syndrome", ballet-style, when humans obviously run forwards! Repositioning the head and feet 90 degrees can sometimes help things. Strelets also seem to be getting away from the very bow-legged firing poses of the past although they sometimes re-emerge like one top-row pose in this set.

As for the subject, I've already got more than enough excellent Adrian-helmet figures for my inter-war projects from the likes of Pegasus, Caesar etc (even BUM and Airfix) so I doubt I'll get this one. Personally hope Strelets concentrate on their original mission statement of filling gaps not well covered.
Durruti  

Return to Miniatures News