Miniatures News

Strelets - Foot Bashi-Bazouk

Posted by Konrad on 21 Apr 2018, 21:00

Another nice set with an oriental theme.
And what for beautiful photos they can do if they want.
Looks like another "MUST HAVE" for me.

Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by MABO on 21 Apr 2018, 21:31

You are absolutely right! Wonderful figures.

For all who did not - like me - know much about the historical background:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bashi-bazouk ;-)
MABO  Europe

Posted by Emperor on 23 Apr 2018, 17:51

And nobody has waited them more than me :mrgreen: . We still say for somebody that he is bashibozluk or kabadahiya....
We could now make this
Notice they all used a curved knife called yatagan. It is much more effective than sabre, since it makes fatal wounds in close combat. Usually fighters would grab each other for clothes in fight. Some times Turks would grab Serbs for their long hair (perchin) which resulted in paralizing since it was painful. So senior officers ordered cutting off long hair which was called perchin.
Emperor  

Posted by Emperor on 26 Apr 2018, 18:59

How interesting https://www.danas.rs/tag/dva-basibozuka-ispred-kapije/
This is painting painted by famous Paja Jovanovic one of the best artist Balkan had. In this painting it is presented two bashibazouks. This painting has been sold this week in England at Sotby gallery for more than a half million euros.
Jovanovic lived in XIX and XX century and was fascinated by Balkan and its orientalism. Most of his paintings presents life and history of the Balkans.
Emperor  

Posted by Ochoin on 09 May 2018, 15:28

The Egyptians tried to use B-Bs against the Mahdi in the Sudan.

I have no idea what they looked like. Would these chaps do?
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Graeme on 10 May 2018, 02:11

There are some pictures of Bashi Bazouks in the Sudan here, bottom of the page. Some of these figures might look OK:

https://www.ottoman-uniforms.com/1883-egyptian-government-army-under-the-hicks-expedition/

Also the Llave and auxiliary troops here look similar, I don't know if these will fit your purpose.

https://www.ottoman-uniforms.com/1876-till-1908-ottoman-army-uniforms/

I suppose Strelets has made these figures for their Crimean war range but Ottoman dress and uniforms seem to have looked very similar for long periods of time. The question is, if these are not exactly right will you find anything better.

I wonder if these would fit in a Napoleonic Ottoman army?
Graeme  Australia

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Emperor on 10 May 2018, 14:15

@Ochoin- While Ottoman troops at begining of XIX century didn t had standard uniforme like British and French before Selim III reform of 1807, for which he got killed and introduce of Nizam and final disband of Janissare in 1826, there was a some rules about clothing of people in Ottoman empire. Ottoman citizens at begining of XIX centur all wore baggy pants called shalvare, they wore also something called yelek or or anteri it is a small vest. They also had a large colorful belt around pants in which warriors putted their pistols and yatagans. Ussually they would have two or three pistols. There also was rule which divided Muslim the ruling class form Christians. For example since those were dangerous times a young men wore ear ring in their ears to show he is single male child into house. Serbs also had long ponitail called perchin. Muslims ussualy wore turban with chalma, while cristians wore fez or traditiona fur hat or shubara. There also was rule that said which colors can Muslim have on their clothes and which Christians. Usually in Ottoman army nobles and elite went into cavalry and they had fine silk clothes. Infantry was not so well dressed. I think this set is good for any period from 16 to XIX century. Remember this set is for Russo Turkish war of 1878, but Ottoman empire had problem with modernisation. Basically revolt agains Selim III was because he tired to modernise Ottoman army which was conservative and resisted modernisation. Even cannons from beggining of XIX century were old fashion. Ottoman empire from its founding was feudal desighnet for war. Peaces of land were gave to bravest soldiers and those land was called chitluk. Hatli or the cavalaryman also Sipahi were considered knights in the ottoman empire. The Empire also was desighnet so that common man could get to high position if he is talented and proved worthy in service, but it also was harsh to those who disobeyed like any other powerful nation.
Emperor  

Posted by Graeme on 11 May 2018, 03:55

Emperor wrote:I think this set is good for any period from 16 to XIX century.

They should be OK for the Napoleonic period then, that's good. And the clothing details are very helpful. Thank you.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Ochoin on 11 May 2018, 06:08

Useful advice from both of you. Thanks.
Donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Michael Robert on 11 May 2018, 19:34

Hello,

when I saw these first I immediately thought of Turks for battles against Russians - not in the Crimean War, but in the "old Crimean wars", times of Suvorov and Potemkin. They make good opponents for French in Egypt Campaign as well - no doubt. I just hope they marry well with existing Janissaires, from Redbox and Haron - these might be a bit more on the smaller scale.
They will go well anyhow. Good choice from Strelets

Cheers
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Emperor on 11 May 2018, 21:37

When we think about Orient, it should be noticed that we think about exotic clothes, with brightfull colors, rich spices, esoteric things, and of course Arab horses, the best horses in the world.
Emperor  

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 May 2018, 23:12

Great Figures. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by deon on 01 Jun 2018, 19:10

These look fabulous, I will definitely have to buy a few boxes for my ottoman Napoleonic army. Ive just recieved the mamelukes and mounted bashi bazouks from strelets, but these HaT figures look much better.
deon  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 01 Jun 2018, 19:29

deon wrote:These HaT figures look much better.

These are also Strelets! ;-)
MABO  Europe

Posted by deon on 01 Jun 2018, 19:37

lol, really! even though its says so in your post , i guess they looked so good my brain rewrote it to say HaT!
well done strelets - they shall have more of my meagre income :)
deon  United Kingdom

Posted by deon on 01 Jun 2018, 19:40

Can these really be strelets? The poses are humanly possible, the proportions are good, detail is clean... is this a new designer or has the usual one been to art school and studied anatomy ;) wonderful, i am the happiest I have been all day !
deon  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bluefalchion on 01 Jun 2018, 20:05

All the most recent Strelets-R guys (or almost all) are in this new style. It's pretty great.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by deon on 01 Jun 2018, 20:25

I had my french in egypt Hussars , ligne infantry and Mamelukes delivered today and they are old style - still i like them for their 'character' , these new ones still have that charm. i will search for Strelets -R and maybe I can find the new ones :)
deon  United Kingdom

Posted by deon on 01 Jun 2018, 20:31

alas - so many wonderful figures but only one lifetime...
deon  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 01 Jun 2018, 22:27

Streets can be an acquired taste.
I prefer Hat but I know that's not true of everyone.

I will say that the old ones paint up better than you'd think. The new are an improvement in terms of reality but detail is still lacking in places and there remains some exaggeration.

Feel free to disagree with me: the above is merely my opinion.
Ochoin  Scotland

Next page

Return to Miniatures News