Miniatures News

Hellcat Armorfast 1/72

Posted by Wiking on 10 Mar 2018, 16:38

Not really something with figures. (I am sorry)
But something for it.
It is a long awaited tank kit. Passed by the big manufacturers. I think some people here are interested for it too.

It is available now.
Ok. It is a fast build simplified kit. But far better as Armorfast`s earlier tanks.
It is the only plastic injection kit on the market in 1/72 now.

Wiking  Germany

Posted by santifernandez on 10 Mar 2018, 19:12

It seems simple but well done.
santifernandez  Spain

Posted by Fire at Will on 11 Mar 2018, 08:09

Looks good, but how much internal turret detail is there?
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Mar 2018, 10:55

I believe this Company producing good stuff is still part of the HAT group .
If that is no longer the case I guess some of the good natured Hatters on this Forum will put me straight on this info.

I like the price of these and the fact that there are two kits in the one box as apposed to other makes of armoured models that in my mind are far to fancy highly priced. Money-wise these kits are very affordable too for the keen younger persons pocket money.

Simple construction too wins brownie points as far as I am concerned. I like fast plastic construction kits although I am not keen on the raised lettering of the makers brand being on the bottom. I would in my case cut that off.

My memories of a slight hiccup!
I bought some of these kits for a train on my railway layout only to find that they were much to large for the bogies, so had to switch to 1/76 scale models that closely matched my HO OO Scale railway layout.

Wiking,
May you enjoy your long awaited for modelling experience when putting those two together, and I look forward to seeing your end result posted here if possible.
:-D BB the Benno-knight just one of many.
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by steve_pickstock on 11 Mar 2018, 12:54

Armourfast and Hat collaborated on some sets - Hat had expertise and skills that Armourfast didn't (and vice versa) didn't so they worked together. They aren't a part of a group of companies.

Armourfast's parent company are a plastic mouldings company that also produces model tanks and is based in England. In recent years they are working with other UK producers to expand their range (stowage and conversion sets). As I understand it, Hat are based in the Pacific North-west of the US and work in conjunction (now) with a Chinese company to produce their figures.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Mar 2018, 15:28

Thank you Steve for the interesting correct information,that`s what good communication is all about. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by zulu`s 1000`s of em on 11 Mar 2018, 22:46

Looks like the usual Armourfast fare, and that is by no means derogatory , I have most of their stuff and like it. This one puzzles my though, because it has rather limited use, very late war and used almost exclusively I think by the United States. There are so many other tanks they could have done with greater sales potential,even in our crowded 1/72 tank market place, like Lee/Grant , Matilda 2`s (S-models are expensive) Kangaroo, Sexton, Bishop etc just off the top of my head and on my wants list, and no one does them in fast build.
zulu`s 1000`s of em  United Kingdom

Posted by Wiking on 12 Mar 2018, 04:00

A Kangaroo as a FA is available by Italeri.

@Fire at Will
The turret interior is very, very sparse.
Only the system to load the gun and that is nice done but incomplete.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Mar 2018, 06:49

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/U ... cat.php#m1

The Link above was placed for all those interested in this type of tank destroyer. Enjoy. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by captainzlog on 18 Mar 2018, 01:34

Mine arrived this morning and I'm in the process of putting the first one together now. Aside from the gun breech (which for some reason is a two part,assembly, upper and lower halves) that is it.

A bag of spare tank commander figures is providing crew for all mine, otherwise the turret interior will be very bare indeed, but as fast build wargaming models, adding crewmen is taken as read. It needs three: gunner, loader and commander: the first two on the left ( a bit of a squeeze, unless you stand the commander up in the AAMG ring) and the loader set back in the right rear with the ready use ammo rack in front of him. The rack is not supplied, but the real thing is suspended from the turret roof under the F shaped roof extension. Image A simple strip of card with a couple of 'shells' cut from toothpicks will do the job. With this in place and the three crew figures, your turret will look realistically 'busy'. 8)

The hull needs small exhaust pipe running off from the D shaped object on the right hull - this is the air scoop for the auxiliary generator. Headlights and siren are made from scrap (those little mold ejection pins we usually trim off and throw away!) while the brush guards for these are being made from nylon bristle, having drilled locating holes. Tools of course have to be found, and a tow hook as well as the folded tripod for the .50 BMG which is stowed on the right rear of the engine deck. There is a spot for the radio antenna on the turret roof, but this needs to be fully drilled through.

Tracks an running gear are superb very crisp and finely detailed. With a bit of work, these should turn out to be very nice kits indeed!
captainzlog  

Posted by Beano Boy on 18 Mar 2018, 08:22

Lest we forget,
The Black Tank Destroyer Battalions of WWII.
in the Ardennes , the 603rd,502nd,701st and the 761st.

The Motto of the 761st `Come Out Fighting.'
They took the town of Tillet in a week where all others had failed,
and helped punch a hole in The Siegfried Line. The Allies poured into Germany.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... tley+books

The Invisible Soldiers by Mary Penick Motley

http://lestweforget.hamptonu.edu/
The Link above, on arrival Just click on the Database WWII or whever you wish. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Marc the plasticsfan on 21 Mar 2018, 14:58

That is a great picture of the interior. I think, with the crew and some stowage, that tank will work just fine. Look forward to hearing more about your build.

Thanks

Marc
Marc the plasticsfan  United Kingdom

Posted by captainzlog on 09 Apr 2018, 01:05

I've finally gotten around to making a start on mine now that my SHQ tools have arrived and at long last, got a warm and bright enough day to go out and work on them. First job is to drill the locating holes for the brush guards, auxiliary motor exhaust pipe and the .50 caliber machine gun tripod stowage.

Brush guards for the headlamps and siren made from nylon bristle threaded through holes drilled in the upper hull

White metal tools and cleaning rods added to the superstructure. These are from SHQ and work nicely

captainzlog  

Posted by Wiking on 09 Apr 2018, 04:03

Hello Captainzlog.

The Hellcat is on my table too.
Biggest problem are a acceptable replacement for the tracks. No good idea right now.
An an other project get a higher priority now.

Wiking  Germany

Posted by MABO on 09 Apr 2018, 07:12

Looks like a hell of details to work on. I am always impressed to see so much scratch build add-ons.

Your hellcat is impressiv as well, captainzlog.
MABO  Europe

Posted by captainzlog on 10 Apr 2018, 02:29

Nicely done, Sir, nicely done! Like the periscope details on the inside of the hatches - you would be amazed how many beautiful models I have seen where this has been overlooked!

Personally I am happy with the tracks 'as is' and there is a limit to the amount of detail I'm willing to put in to what are really pieces for wargaming, however your work should be the benchmark which we should all strive for. :thumbup:
captainzlog  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Miniatures News