Posted by Paul on 10 Feb 2018, 12:40

Ukrainian cossack infantry. 16 cent. Set 1
Ukrainian cossack infantry. 16 cent. Set 2
Moscow infantry (ratniki). 16 cent. Set 1
Moscow infantry (ratniki). 16 cent. Set 2
Moscow infantry (pishalniki). 16 Cent
Paul  China

Posted by Marvin on 10 Feb 2018, 14:17

If the back of the boxes are to be trusted, I say they look excellent!
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Bluefalchion on 10 Feb 2018, 15:35

Do the heads look a little funny? Maybe the necks slightly too long? Those images appear to be photographs of actual figures, so not much left to chance. Great to have available a nice variety of figs from that era.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by sansovino on 11 Feb 2018, 12:59

A very interesting sets! Can anybody say me if it will been possible to use the Ukrainians cossaks also for polish ones? The Commonwealth of Poland included in this period also ukrainians so it should been possible or ...?
sansovino  Germany

Posted by Traveller1865 on 12 Feb 2018, 13:30

Very interesting figures that fill gaps in 1/72 periods. Only irritating thing is RedBox totally avoids the 30 years war, we need new figures for this too..

sansovino wrote:A very interesting sets! Can anybody say me if it will been possible to use the Ukrainians cossaks also for polish ones? The Commonwealth of Poland included in this period also ukrainians so it should been possible or ...?

I wonder the same, and can any of these sets be used for Sigismund's early 17th Century Polish army in the wars against Sweden?
Traveller1865  Sweden

In memoriam

Posted by Paul on 12 Feb 2018, 17:30

sansovino wrote:A very interesting sets! Can anybody say me if it will been possible to use the Ukrainians cossaks also for polish ones?

They were Polish - lithuanian at the time..so yes.
Pink = Kingdom of Poland
Full extent (after 1618-19) of the Polish -Lithuanian common wealth 1569 - 1795
From;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish–Lithuanian_Commonwealth
Paul  China

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Paul on 12 Feb 2018, 17:39

Actually,,,didn´t the area now known as Ukraine only come into existance recently (historically) . Didn´t Ukraineas (medieval period)mean "border lands" and the People there called Rus or Rusky? so the maps above are layed over Areas with the modern names for them (?)
Paul  China

Posted by carlosfaro on 12 Feb 2018, 21:33

Interesting sets, I am not an expert at all in eastern history, so for me they are difficult to distinguish...
I would take them for poles without asking, even for hungarians, valachians or ottomans at some point!!

(I think that equipment and clothing probably was not so different form one place ot another in that area, it is like "french", "spanish" "burgundian" or "german" look at that period..all westerners.. )

Somebody wrote anything about 30yw, I guess that period is much covered already with other manufacturers.. Redbox is succesfully filling all the important XVI c gap...

Also the second siege of Vienna 1683 is better covered with those.... More western armies form this late xvii c. would be however interesting toi see! (transition between pike-shot-armour age to musket-regiment-uniforms-bayonett age)
carlosfaro  

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 05 Mar 2018, 05:02

The 6 ukrainian & muscovite sets mentioned above are available now.
https://www.linear-a.de/shop-figuren/plastikfiguren/redbox/

Interisting & decent figures for a rather unexploited period & topic. :yeah:

Imho, RedBox deserve some recognition for their outstanding variety of previously unsung subjects in 1/72. :thumbup:
Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Posted by MABO on 05 Mar 2018, 14:15

Erich von Manstein wrote:Imho, RedBox deserve some recognition for their outstanding variety of previously unsung subjects in 1/72. :thumbup:

I second that, even if I did not like the skinny style of the younger sets. My favorites are the War of the Roses Range.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Michael Robert on 05 Mar 2018, 21:25

Hello

in a reply to Paul's contributions some more facts.
After the defeat of the German Order knights the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth actually strived becoming the largest (yes, yes) European country at its time. Several times they nearly wiped out the early Russian (Muscovite) kingdom.
Later in the 17th century the empire slowly declined, much to it due to relentless Cossac uprisings in today Ukrania region (Cossacs helped by Krim tartars and sometimes Ottomans, too). Finally, Poland was defated and cut up between the Austrian, Russian and Prussian new upcoming empires (the Prussian kingdom being a distant successor of the Order of the German knights) - and even Napoleon couldn't change the tide.

Very good reading about this period of the beginning downfall and war between Polish Hussars and Cossacks is Henrik Sienkiewizs novel "With Fire and Sword" (the same author as "Quo vadis").

To reply to Carlosfaro's question - the Ukranian cossacks fought WITH and AGAINST kind of everybody near them: Muscovites, Polish, Ottomans, Tartars, and last not east among themselves. You can find historic evidence for just about any kind of combination.
I am sure our Polish friends on the forum and maybe Redbox themselves have much more to say on this topic.

Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 04 Apr 2018, 11:17

PSR added their customary images to the 6 mentioned RedBox sets yesterday.
Although still at "Awaiting Review" status, one can already have a glance at the respective figures.

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/AwaitingReview.aspx

Total amount of figures and pose numbers per box varies from 28figs/10pos to 48figs/12pos, which seems adequate.
Size and sculpting style look good and the poses appear quite natural and anatomically reasonable.
Not being all too deep into this specific era & topic, but the 6 sets seem to provide correct & well created figures and RedBox traditionally offers good value for money. :yeah:
Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Return to Miniatures News