Members

From the Land of the Prince Bishops

Posted by Edwardian on 14 Feb 2017, 18:03

It all (re)started when my son asked me to paint up some WW2 1/72nd plastics for him. Not just the painting and assembling, but the necessary research started to awaken an interest from my pre-teen days.

Soon I thought "now I've done all this, how about painting up something on my own account.... ".

Progress to date has been minimal, but my main interests are Napoleonic (currently early Peninsular, mainly French and Spanish), and the "Lace Wars", focussing on SYW, specifically Minden.

There are other periods of interest, of course, and I am easily distracted.

While I have some 20mm and 1/72 metals, nostalgia for childhood causes 1/72nd plastics to have a special appeal, and I am impressed at the variety and quality now available.

I look forward to taking inspiration from others here and, hopefully, to learning a thing ot two.
Edwardian  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 14 Feb 2017, 18:27

Welcome Edward! Hope to see a lot of painted figures from you! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by santifernandez on 14 Feb 2017, 18:27

The first thing is welcome to this forum and I think if you investigate a little inside the forum you will see great colleagues who do not hesitate to help and advise you.
Santi.
santifernandez  Spain

Posted by MABO on 14 Feb 2017, 18:41

Here is a good place to start with this hobby.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Marvin on 14 Feb 2017, 21:42

Welcome from me too! It would be great to see something of your progress sometime.

Regarding Minden, I'm just about to attempt some mid-18th century British Infantry by RedBox for our Group Build. "Suitable for Seven Years War" it says on the box?! You should check out the developing "Bennos Figures Forum Great Miniature FIgures Parade" and you'll find all sorts of figures from members, (and maybe even contribute some of your own?). ;-)
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Feb 2017, 05:19

There your Title is Fixed in Place.
It`s the Craft you see?

Ah-Ha! Another Brit! We are on the Rise!

Edwardian,Welcome to Benno`s Figure Forum............... Although He`s never here.
This by the way is my second home,for i believe i am here much more than at home.
;-) "Very True! "
:coffee: Greetings from Fiddle Wood,Old Catton, Norwich UK . BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Edwardian on 15 Feb 2017, 09:28

Thanks to all for the enthusiastic welcome.

I really will need to paint something now!

Mabo - the Redbox 1745 range look superb, so I look forward to seeing some painted up.

Beano Boy - By some strange chance I have been inhabiting a miniature Norfolk. If I can work out how to post a picture, you will see what I mean!

Posted by Marvin on 15 Feb 2017, 10:36

Edwardian wrote:Thanks to all for the enthusiastic welcome.

I really will need to paint something now!

Mabo - the Redbox 1745 range look superb, so I look forward to seeing some painted up.

Beano Boy - By some strange chance I have been inhabiting a miniature Norfolk. If I can work out how to post a picture, you will see what I mean!

Land of the Prince Bishops - of course!

I posted a little guidance a few months ago on posting images using the free Photobucket website to upload the pics here. Hopefully proves useful?
http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19678&p=213413#p213413

It's me btw doing the RedBox figures. :wave: Mabo is the "Great Group Build Guru" and he's painting some very excellent Danish Napoleonic infantry.
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Edwardian on 15 Feb 2017, 10:41

Aha, yes, senior moment. Apologies both.

Thanks for the link. When I take a coffee break, I'll take a look.

Posted by Kekso on 15 Feb 2017, 11:03

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to see some of your work.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Susofrick on 15 Feb 2017, 11:55

Huge welcome from me too!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Edwardian on 15 Feb 2017, 12:07

Thanks Guys.

I now have a Photobucket a/c and, thanks to Marvin's guide, here (I hope) is a picture of what I was up to at the time the Miniatures Bug came up and bit me.

Posted by Cryns on 15 Feb 2017, 12:30

Welcome to our Forum, Edwardian.

Wow! :notworthy: :love: I must say your Norfolk town looks top notch and very, very... Edwardian! (judging by the fashion of both ladies)
This looks all so nice and beautiful. Looks like the roof of the central building can be taken off. Is there a furnitured hall inside? Or is that for gaming purposes? The bricks and roof tiles have excellent colors and I love the plants climbing the walls.

Of course WE WANT MORE PICTURES! But I recommend you to start a separate thread for this great English town and figures and vehicles that come with it. And there you must tell us how much of this is scratch build and what was pre-fab material put together by you.

Thanks a lot.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by Edwardian on 15 Feb 2017, 12:41

Thank you Mr Cryns.

This is a corner of a Norfolk village for a model railway project, so it is not built with gaming in mind, though, I, suppose, the Eagle could Land thereabouts. I haven't actually added the railway. I mainly enjoyed having a go at making the buildings.

It's all cheap as chips too, textures printed off on redundant letter-head and using recycled packaging wherever possible. I just felt like having a go.

Now, of course, I should think about something suitable for gaming.

Posted by Beano Boy on 15 Feb 2017, 14:14

A play on words!
ED,has your built up place a special name?
4 such things R important U No?
Like Old Catton,our local village. The name derives from the old times well before Duke William,nicked all of England.Yes years A 4 that Append.
As the story goes,a certain cat sat upon a wooden barrel, and so the village being built up around the unfinished Saxon church,became known,as ` CAT ON BARREL' ,but it needed tidying up somewhat. 4 it were a hog full,no 1 knew how 2 spell.So as time jogged along past the old completed church the locals dropped the barrel,which left ,`CAT ON'. So more time passed and became many a year,and a T was added to the village name,and the little dreamy place a dot on the map,just outside Norwich , became CATTON.

:-D Just opposite the Old Church,the Village Sign stands and it is a Black Cat sat on a Barrel.
:coffee: C How the story Rings True? Time 4 Tea! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Edwardian on 15 Feb 2017, 14:33

Beano Boy wrote:A play on words!
ED,has your built up place a special name?
4 such things R important U No?
Like Old Catton,our local village. The name derives from the old times well before Duke William,nicked all of England.Yes years A 4 that Append.
As the story goes,a certain cat sat upon a wooden barrel, and so the village being built up around the unfinished Saxon church,became known,as ` CAT ON BARREL' ,but it needed tidying up somewhat. 4 it were a hog full,no 1 knew how 2 spell.So as time jogged along past the old completed church the locals dropped the barrel,which left ,`CAT ON'. So more time passed and became many a year,and a T was added to the village name,and the little dreamy place a dot on the map,just outside Norwich , became CATTON.

:-D Just opposite the Old Church,the Village Sign stands and it is a Black Cat sat on a Barrel.
:coffee: C How the story Rings True? Time 4 Tea! BB

What a lovely church and village scene. And clearly the etymology must be true!

My village is fictitious and supposedly located in the west of the county. The real places that inspired it are reflected in its name. It is called Castle Aching.

There will, eventually, be a ruined castle, a legacy of the "Norman Yoke".

There will be a further military connection when I get around to modelling men of the Norfolk Yeomanry, but, alas, the model has no connection with wargaming. Perhaps I should try some Normandy houses for my son and some Spanish houses for Yours Truly.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Feb 2017, 12:43

It was later about Henry`s day of knocking down Abby`s that Olde was added,
making it ring true as OLD CATTON.

Believing it had brought them luck during WWII, the wooden cat sat upon the barrel was stolen in 1945 by Americans who took it to the States. A few years later a Canadian crafted another and sent this copy back, to OLD CATTON,and it is that wooden Cat & Barrel that faces the old Saxon Church,but was back in the day aligned perfectly with the flight path of the then RAF Base used by Americans & Canadians during WWII.
The locals then understood the reason for the thieft,and bore no animosity toward the aircrew that took it the day they left for their world across the pond. They owed them much as indeed we all do.

I realise many would know that I am one to stretch out very tall tales,
but this one happens to very true. BB
Beano Boy  England

Return to Members