Members

Introductory thread

Posted by Token Girl on 03 Aug 2013, 11:20

Hi everyone. Token Girl here. My real name is Fiona though as there seems to be very few females modelling, certainly little plastic men, I thought Token would be rather apt.

I have quite a few interests in the 1/72nd figure line, though my Ships are 1/350th and 1/700th, aeroplanes are 1/48 and 1/44th Pan Am airliners and the rest is a mixture of whatever takes my fancy, right now I'm completing a fair few Mini Art 1/16th figures and will attempt a few Historex 54mm when I get round to it.

So 1/72nd. The periods I'm into is Napoleonic, Roman and The War Of The Worlds (more on that later as I get to know the site, though suffice to say that as they are outdoors and to go with a railway etc they don't have to be that brilliant, one Hat Zulu War figure I trimmed his gun away and will have him leading a horse) So some of the time I'm having fun with them. I also have a few Crimean War sets Strelets and Emhar though again these I chip away at between other figures etc.
I had a period of doing Knights and Crusades last Summer though for some reason, please don't laugh, they made me ill. I didn't think that reading History could be so troublesome. Some wars have possibly had to be fought, though really we all know War is not a good thing, but I thought the Crusades was really really futile. So they have been sent away to the barracks for future reconsideration.

That is really how I got into the figures, at the time reading Plastic Soldier Review showed me there was more variety at the time for 1/72 than some of the old 1/32 figures I had years ago.

I have a general interest with the Romans (I might build a little Roman town in the garden) and The Crimea, though the Napoleonics I'm doing what uniforms I like from different countries, the 48th Foot (Northampton) regiment in the Peninsular and every regiment at Waterloo. This is the clever bit on my part, I don't do the entire lot, just the Command figures and a sergeant and private, that way I can get a lot done and have a smallish space to display them.

I get a bit miffed at the lack of civilian figures or soldiers not doing very much i.e not fighty-up poses.
My recent buys have been Orion, Italeri Gladiators to go with the Pegasus set I got ages ago. Zvezda Imperial Romans, looking forward to building the Testudo!! Zvezda Polish Lancers which I can do a couple as the Red Lancers and finally I think one of my fave sets Zvezda's French Foot Artillery. Sometimes you just have to love artillery!

The best set I have purchased this year has to be the Hat British Command set as there is enough soldiers to do my 48th foot!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Token X
Token Girl  Wales

Posted by John on 20 Aug 2013, 23:50

Hello everyone.
My name is John. I have been a regular visitor to your site for some time and this is my third attempt to register. I'm afraid that I'm only on nodding terms with computer technology (should be fun when I try to post pics!) but persistence paid off and yippee I made it at last.
I'm from Wolverhampton originally and consequently am a lifelong Wolves supporter, phew!
I discovered wargaming when still at school, using Airfix American Civil War figs to game with. At the risk of giving my age away, there wasn't much else readily available at that time. But I did develope a strong interest in the period.
Went to art college and my hobby kind of drifted into the background for some time. Since leaving college I have spent most of my life working as a graphic designer/artist but I have gradually withdrawn as computerisation took over, I'm a pen and brush man!
In the nineties I did fulfill my ambition to produce my own figures. I was the designer, sculptor, caster, packer etc of Wodensfeld Miniatures. Unfortunately, other commitments caused me to set it to one side and eventually I sold the moulds.

I have been a widower for eight years and have found rediscovering this hobby a great comfort. I was blown away by the number of manufacturers of 1/72 figures when I checked out the internet for the first time and needless to say I've been buying lots of them.
My interests include Ancients, Medieaval, Seven Years War and I have bought Napoleonic and Colonial Wars figures just because I like them.

Currently I'm working on a grandiose English Civil War project. I bought most of the available plastic sets that might be useful but there just weren't enough of the right poses. So, glutton for punishment that I am, decided to make conversions and moulds and cast the hundreds of figures I need, myself. If that's not bad enough, they all have seperate heads and many have seperate right arms, will I never learn?

I hope that I will be able to become a worthwhile contributor in the fullness of time. If this darn computer will allow it!

John
John  England
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by arshak on 22 Aug 2013, 18:44

Hi there,
My name is Fabrizio, I am an Italian living and working in Vienna since some years. Moved here from Rome due to lack of opportunities in Italian universities, and now I earn my salary at the end of the month dealing with ancient history (of not so close regions)…

Always loved little soldiers since childhood, and started tabletop gaming in high school with GW in the late 80s, then became a historical wargamer, first 15mm Ancients&Medievals, then some 15mm Napoleonics and finally 20mm WWII (metal figures).

After a long break I would like to start again with some wargaming, so I am also looking around for someone (English speaking, my German is still awful) here who might like to have some gaming. Fighting to find time in the last years, I kept painting something (admittedly not too quickly, but I like nicely looking figures and I simply do not manage to paint too fast) in my spare time, mainly late WWII Germans, but sometimes I am even tempted to resurrect my 15mm...at any rate I enjoy sharing projects and a historical approach to wargame (including some research, why not?). So, if there is somebody like-minded here in Vienna, just let me know.
arshak  Austria

Posted by tomikd on 01 Sep 2013, 18:38

Hello everybody,
My name is Tomas, I am from Slovakia. I follow these site few years, but I registered just today. I am painting mini´s just two years, so I am starter. Before mini´s, I interested in paper models and it is still my hobby. I don´t prefer any scale in mini´s. I started with 1/72, but today I am painting also 28mm, 40mm, 54mm, resin or tin. Just what is nice for my eyes.

I am also try to make mini´s from my self. First it was bust from model clay, now I trying another clay-mass- material. But I am just starter :-)
tomikd  Slovakia

Posted by Greg77 on 15 Sep 2013, 15:57

Hello everyone,
I read the forum, and see the works of you here since months, and I registered weeks ago, and now here is my introduction.
My name is Gergely, (actually that’s my middle name) I’m 36 and I am living in Budapest. I am married to my lovely wife, and our little daughter is 4 years “old”.
I was 13 when I made my first 1/72, but that was an airplane. Later I changed to 1/35 armors and I painted several II WW tank and figure. (I won’t talk about the quality of them, they looked ugly, but I liked them.)
Then I was away from my brushes long time, 17-18 years.
I got the idea to paint 1/72 figures last winter, since then I bought few set of figures, mostly medieval.
I have a lot of ideas how to use them, but I did not finish any of the sets. I made a couple of conversions, and a little paintwork, but they are still not good for my taste, especially the faces.
So I have to learn a lot of things.
I do not play wargames, I just make little or not so little dioramas. I am painting with cheap artist acrylics and Vallejo paints.

I found tons of useful information, and inspirational threads on this forum, thank you to keep it running.
… and yeah, sorry for my English..
Cheers and good day to everyone,
G
Greg77  Hungary

Posted by tom s on 18 Sep 2013, 13:59

hello my name is tom stewart
long time viewer and just signed up today.ive often wanted to compliment someone on something ive seen,so i finally took the plunge.i hesitated for a long time as i dont paint,just play with the figures.
i live in the suburbs of chicago and am a husband and father of 3.i collect 1/72 figures but just love looking at all the well painted figures that show up on this forum.
tom s  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Robin Somberg on 11 Dec 2013, 20:28

Hello everyone,

After uploading the first pics of my miniatures last week, here is some info about myself. My name is Robin Somberg, 31 years old, married, 2 cats and I live in Utrecht - The Netherlands. I have been painting miniatures since I was around 12 when I started hanging around in the hobby modelshop of my dad. After a predictable switch to 28mm miniatures I finally switched back to 1/72 some years ago.

I really like the work shown here so I am glad to finally be a part of this forum.

Regards!

Robin
Robin Somberg  Netherlands

Posted by zirrian on 04 Aug 2014, 00:52

I guess it's time to introduce myself a bit more. My name is Thomas, and I live in Hungary. I've seen 20 winters so far, and counting. I've been introduced to modelling by my dad, because he's an avid aircraft builder. I always liked little plastic men, but haven't always felt the need to start painting them. My father got a big set from Zvezda (28mm fantasy battle between men and orcs) after I promised I'll paint them. Well, I kinda-sorta did, but traded most of the kit to get other little plastic men to paint and play with them.

My scale of choice originally was 28mm, because of Warhammer. I searched for cheaper minis, and got some historicals, but when I was thinking, what if I could play historical only, with even cheaper minis...and thus, masses of 1/72 figures have found their way to my room. I got some boxes only because the minis looked good, but wasn't really interested in the period. Apart from two Warhammer 40k, one Warhammer Fantasy, and random assorted sci-fi miniatures (got myself into the Afterlife Kickstarter by Anvil Industry - was a really good choice), I have the following armies in progress, collecting, or just having them on sprues:

Ancients:
Gauls (currently only 28 minis, but a big box of them should be on their way this/next week (depending on the time zone you are in))
Romans (four minis short on an old Esci EIR box, more should be coming soonish)

Medieval:
Only plans...but numerous plans

Renaissance:
Large box of Revell Thirty Years War minis, Zvezda Winged Hussars and Mars Polish mercs. I'm not sure what I'll do with them.

Napoleonic:
Peninsular British (HaT infantry, Revell rifles, Strelets greatcoat infantry, kitbashed Dragoons...lots of good stuff)
Peninsular French (using HaT French Chasseurs as line inf with cut down pom-poms, and in white trousers - shake is not perfect, but good enough for me)

WW2:
Ooooh boy...
Normandy British (a force for Bolt Action is completed. Only some bases are needed)
Normandy Germans (painted, based)
Normandy SS (on sprues)
Normandy US Airborne (cut off from sprues)
Normandy British Airborne (cut off from sprues)
Normandy US infantry (not too much, but getting them is in progress)
8th Army (cut off from sprues)
D.A.K. (cut off from sprues, some on sprues)
US Marines (mostly on sprues)
Imperial Japanese Army (on sprues, assembled, painted...not too consistent)
ANZAC (on sprues)

I also have three boxes of Revell SYW stuff (two boxes of dragoons, one artillery), a box of Esci Vietcongs, Italeri Prussians...

I like collecting, painting, making good deals on miniature figures, and just feeling awesome after doing that. I have some models I felt I'd like to do some day, like a WW2 Japanese Aircraft Carrier from Revell, a US battleship "Hero", some cars...even tho some might say my social life is somehow lacking because of making scale models, actually I got to know many wonderful people who do the same thing as me with even more passion.
zirrian  Hungary

Posted by Brigadier General on 29 Oct 2014, 20:26

Hi my name is Jeff, I am a grandfather and live in Northwest Arkansas. I have collected toy soldiers since childhood. My first sets were plastic green army men but one day my mother brought home a few Britains 54mm Knights and Saracens. To me these where the "Holy Grail" of toy soldiers. I spent countless hours playing with and admiring them. The first toy soldiers I ever bought for myself were a set of 1/72 WW1 Germans.

Today I collect and wargame in scales from 1/600 to 54mm. I run several blogs on my various toy soldier campaigns. I have my own room in our home just for my models and hobby. I haven't painted as many models this year as last year but I have fought more battles thus far. Which I think is a good trade off.

I have many wargame interests, possibly too many but I have them nonetheless. My favorite period is fantasy, closely followed by the Second World War and colonials. I also enjoy PC gaming. My favorite PC games are Ultima Online, Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander, EVE Online, Civilization 2 and Homeworld 2.

I enjoy reading military history and wargame titles. Currently reading the "Art of Wargaming" by Peter Perla. I enjoy painting my own models. I use hobby shop acrylics like Folk Art and others. I also enjoy crafting terrain and larger wargame models as well, though I haven't crafted much. I enjoy tinkering in the garage with bicycles, small engines, wood, but this hobby is a distant third to wargames and PC games.

I found this forum by searching for 1/72 scale witches. I want to add a gothic horror skirmish side game to my SYW imagi-nation campaign. Glad to be here and thanks for having me.

v/r,
Jeff
Brigadier General  United States of America

Posted by MonsterMash on 21 Nov 2014, 15:44

Hello, I'm MonsterMash on this and a number of other forums including the Guild, RPG.net and a few others. My real name is Dave and I am in my late 40s, I've been wargaming off and on since I was a of about 8 or so starting with Airfix plastic figures in 1/72.

Currently I wargame WWII in 20mm, ACW in 15mm and have 28mm Medieval, Fantasy and Flintloque figures. I've recently developed an interest in Napoleonics where I have started on doing some 20mm plastics using Revell, HaT, Italeri and so on. I came here from a search returning a few interesting results on conversions for HaT cavalry for Napoleonic.
MonsterMash  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Nov 2014, 20:16

Another modeller into Fantasy & War Games, Conversions too. Great News. So Welcome to the Forum Dave.Pull up a chair , and join in by Posting! I look forward to seeing your stuff soon. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Von Moltke on 10 Dec 2014, 23:12

Hello, my name is Jorge and i am from Spain. I have had 1:72 plastic figures from i had reason use, but i delayed to paint them for very many years.

Really i begun painting 6 or 7 years ago. Earlier i had very much respect to paint my precious figures. I thought that it was very difficult and i never going to paint well....

I knew this forum any year ago, but i decided enter because user Zirrian told me that here he was, and in hat forum somebody decided censore one message of mine.

Then here i am. And i hope to be here several years.

Greetings.
Von Moltke  Spain

Posted by SamSagace on 10 Dec 2014, 23:21

Welcome Jorge ! :cheers:
I hope to see your painted figures very soon ! :evil:

:lol:
SamSagace  France
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Von Moltke on 10 Dec 2014, 23:35

SamSagace wrote:Welcome Jorge ! :cheers:
I hope to see your painted figures very soon ! :evil:

:lol:

i have put some photos here yet:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16833

viewtopic.php?f=118&t=16843

soon more. But i must wait to order my workshop........ :mad: :mad: :mad:
Von Moltke  Spain

Posted by Emperor on 23 Dec 2014, 23:42

Hi,
My name is Predrag I am from Serbia I am 25 years old...I like Napoleonic period and Seven years war and am fan of Zvezda products...I have a degree in Technological Pharmacy...
I started my interest in 1 72 figures some 14 years ago, but started painting them from 2008 after some accident...I only recently managed to paint them correct...
Emperor  

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Dec 2014, 07:23

A sort of Profile if you like, in what shapes a man.

Like the Owl of Minerva

As a Member since 03 Sep 2013,I never thought of doing this,but like the sun coming up,it being never to late.I suppose a few prose are well deserved here and now. So up and onward.
Hi my name is actually Paul Howes,
A surprise I know.

I once worked for the M.O.D.

I worked in Engineering Technology. Very Hush! Hush! Design & Testing Rapid Firing Guns ,and also the 6" Naval Gun platform & for a short time Torpedo`s.

I suported G B and fought in a secret war in the Persion Gulf
I Smuggled Cigarettes & Small Arms during the fighting of that war.
I had many a scrap ,and misadventure along the way.
I suffer still from Posttraumatic stress disorder.

Badly injured at 35,(a Spinal Injury !) I also lost the use of my hands and arms,I Struggled for years,learning how to dress myself,and finally to walk. In working mans terms I would never ever really work again.However much later I went into the world of the classroom and Higher Education opened up doors for me,and then surprisingly I went into Teaching on the Adult Education Programme ,working with the illiterate of society! That for me was an eye opener, and slowly psychologically speaking I found my feet again,I had a worth again in society.I just loved those guys who turned up twice a week for two hours to be helped by me an old guy with a long ponytail who dressed in floopy check jacket and baggy blue jeans. If I had worn a suit like some they would have scrambled for the nearest exit.Some I actually taught to read & write,but sadly for many it would never be so. I began later to represent the poor down trodden of society in Tribunal Cases dealing with Social Security Cases,in open court,and I made sure we won each and every case brought forward,and that their benefits were backdated and restored. True In certain circles of the highly paid establishment of course I was unliked,but they only ever made me smile,and I laughed out aloud because I`d bettered them ,and I worked for free.

Those days are long gone now ,but my life Ebb`s forward upon such a stream in time and events.
Even though being House Bound again,and 30 years on from my injury, I am comfy well off and rather happy with Mrs B. Although not rich,but by no means poor. Those hard years are well behind me.We do support Charity each and every week,and I just love the fact that when I donate the Government has to pay up too.
Now Retired,I write children`s story books,and adults read them too. ( EMANNEP!)
Warm or Hot,I do have Several Teaching Degrees & Several City & Guilds for Communication Skills,but how many is depending on which head ,and i, I wish to use on certain days.

I am a Researcher into both Ancient and Modern Manuscripts.
Having an analytic mind along with the indicative use of Do,does help with analysis of mathematics, abstract passages, letters , words , and illiterate language hidden within the printed page.
I Review Structure________ deep within English Literature____ I work and read in an undertone.
I am in fact a Manuscript Code Breaker ! 7 this year. Good Old Dick!

I also read Egyptian Hieroglyphics, as you can if you realise which way to read. Be it Left or Right, or indeed like a lone traveller going East to West. The Lozenge Shape shows the way.

On certain Brighter Days wearing another Happy Head I paint Toys & Model Figures ,or scratchbuild model buildings. I am also just little old Beano Boy, The FiddleWood Gnome,the Dreamer and Author of many a Tall Tale, on Benno`s Figure Forum & now my own Blog! 21000 views on my Google Profile in 18 days.
Yes, I am Very Happy Indeed!

Is it all True?

Appart from the horror of it all. You bet your bottom dollar it is. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 07 Jan 2015, 01:44

MonsterMash wrote:Currently I wargame WWII in 20mm, ACW in 15mm and have 28mm Medieval, Fantasy and Flintloque figures. I've recently developed an interest in Napoleonics where I have started on doing some 20mm plastics using Revell, HaT, Italeri and so on. I came here from a search returning a few interesting results on conversions for HaT cavalry for Napoleonic.

Are you considering wargaming in Napoleonics? I'd like to discuss rule choices with you.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by sansovino on 13 Jan 2015, 00:33

Hi,

I like to build and to paint historical miniatures and dioramas since my childhood. After many years of break I have retake quite recently this hobby with great pleasure. So not any more young (incredible 51), but still curious I am interested in Benno´s Figure Forum and its members already since last year. It´s really a wonderful forum!

I am living in Berlin, where I am working as journalist. I am collecting especially Napoleonics and TYW miniatures, but besides both main themes sometimes also other historical periods - in plastic or pewter!

One longterm project is the battle of Placenoit, which will last still to been finished. Meanwhile I have made already some other Napoleonic Dioramas which have to been still photographed. With many ideas, materials and some craftmanship I am working against the regular production of many identical figures and alternate them to different poses.

I a working actually on a Flandres 1918-diorama which i have already posted today in the forum.

Only 1/72!
sansovino  Germany

Posted by DickerThomas on 27 May 2015, 15:27

Hello everyone,

my name is Thomas and i'm from germany, i collect figures in 1/72 .. and mostly samurai of the sengoku period as well as the imjin-war .. actually i want to built a diorama of siege during the second invsion of the imjin-war.
DickerThomas  Germany

Posted by hyperion on 26 Jul 2015, 09:27

Hi all
My name is Michael, I am middle aged and have come back to live in Brisbane, Australia after living for about twelve years in London, England. My background training was in Fine Arts, Psychology and Business.

Regarding the hobby side, I have had a long interest since my early days starting off with with first playing with my brothers Airfix Napoleonics and a variety of other periods based on what was available from Airfix in the 70s and 80s. Now I am glad there is so much variety, though I am tainted with a somewhat eclectic interest and my collection now includes among others:- 1/72 Napoleonics, Pre-Columbian, Ancients, Dark Age, Medieval, Nippon; 28mm Napoleonics, Nippon; GW Epic Space Marine, Man O' War, 40K; Axis & Allies: Naval, and X-wing, among bits of others. I think I mainly got interested in the last two game systems listed because I didn't have to paint anything, lol.

Admittedly, I am pretty intimidated by my collection and envy people who can just get stuck into it and churn them out. I try to do a lot of research to make my historical models as accurate as possible. This is supported by a fairly large hard copy collection of books and a sizable collection of electronic material.

Some of my favourite sites include "CoolMiniOrNot","Board Game Geek" "Benno's" and also "Plastic Soldier Review" where I can debate whether a set is really worth getting depending on the accuracy and appropriateness of the poses. One of my pet hates is that I get so disappointed with poor research of historical items, especially in these days of information overload. This goes with my interest with Military art and a rather eclectic interest in history and Military history in particular.

Above all, I am blessed with an exceedingly tolerant wife who takes a reasonably relaxed view to my hobby interests. She even has a go with the games and comes along to the game club that we are both members of (B.I.G. - Brisbane Independent Gamers).
hyperion  Australia

Previous pageNext page

Return to Members