Miniatures Talk

SYW Hungarians

Posted by Ochoin on 21 Dec 2021, 11:37

No one makes Hungarian SYW infantry.

I'd like to add at least a couple of battalions to my SYW Austrian army.
What are my options?

I have quite a few of the Revell Austrian infantry & some HaT as well. Is a straightforward paint conversion a satisfying solution or can you think of others?

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Michael Robert on 21 Dec 2021, 13:21

Hi Donald,

no one makes SYW Hungarian infantry because the type established during the Napoleonic wars didn't exist yet. Hungary was a dominant region in the Balkans - many regions had been recently conquered from the Turcs. The Austrian empire emerged englobing many different populations on the Balkans which all had colourful and distinct traditional costumes, parts of which eventually became uniform elements. The best known being, of course, the Hussars. The Napoleonic hussar uniform - quite similar for all countries - corresponds to a "Balkan style" dress code.
In SYW many such Balkam units were enrolled in the Austrian army as "light troops" - infantry or cavalry working as scouts, harassing troops, etc. "Uniform" with similar elements but highly varied and coulorful. In Kronoskaf website or if you have access to Knoetel drawings you'll find many examples.
Buying options?
I think Hagen have some in metal.
In plastic you need to convert. Trousers must be tight, torso with wide coats or with dolmans, broad belts, head with shako type or Fluegelmuetze. Some of the recent contributions on the forum have examples.

Hope this helps
Greets
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Minuteman on 21 Dec 2021, 16:46

I think the question that donald is asking, Michael, is which figures might he use to depict the 10 Royal Hungarian line infantry regiments, which formed an important part of the Austrian army (Hungary being a part of the Austrian Empire by 1757). Kronoskaf has full details of each of these regiments.

donald: I know from the many occasions that I have admired your SYW armiues that you already have a large collection of figures. Personally, I'd distinguish between the Austrian 'German' infantry and the Hungarian line infantry by using the two different makes of figures, with HaT for 'German' and Revell for Hungarian.

Now, I recognise that you already have Revell SYW Austrian infantry painted as Austrian 'German' infantry. Stick with these, and simply acquire some more (or just use what you already have) and paint these as Hungarians. My rerasoning is that the Revell sculpts are less well-defined than the HaT, meaning that the distinctive Hungarian pants and decorative knots can simply be painted on. I happen to think also that the Revell grenadiers look suitably 'dashing' as Hungarian grenadiers.

So, a simple paint conversion.

But you know these figures better than I do !!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 21 Dec 2021, 20:54

"Suck it & see" , I guess. I'll paint a couple of figures to see if works.

Thanks, Michael. Thanks, MM.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by PaulRPetri on 21 Dec 2021, 21:06

Donald I use the "Water Method" for conversions. The path of least resistance. I used Airfix British Grenadiers for the AWI. They have the short boots that work for hungarian infantry but I also added cartridge boxes with small rectancle plastic bits, the figures had none. Also the bearskin hat gets chopped off and replaced with tricorne.
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=43

I hope that helps.
Paul
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Ochoin on 24 Dec 2021, 11:25

Thanks for the advice.

After thought,I think I'll need to carve off the cuffs and lapels of my Revell "German" infantry. Sharpest scalpel will be needed.

The gaiter tops are quite indistinct & I think a smear of Green Stuff should hide them. Boots painted on should suffice.

I will try & use a hot needle to mark a "V" shape on the cuff.......maybe.

The early uniform of Bethlen, Gyulay, Forgach and Haller regiments on Kronoskaf- show no button hole lace, or collars, simple "Hungarian" cuffs and just a bit of paint to "hussar" the waistcoat.

http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php? ... y_Infantry

I have a couple of spare figures, so I'll try this out & see how I go.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bluefalchion on 24 Dec 2021, 19:04

Make sure to post the results, good or bad.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Ochoin on 24 Dec 2021, 20:37

Bluefalchion wrote:Make sure to post the results, bad.

You know me & my abilities too well! :-)

Will do.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Bluefalchion on 24 Dec 2021, 22:24

I usually learn much more from my mistakes than I do from my triumphs.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Ochoin on 28 Dec 2021, 14:31

Getting there.....still some work to do but I think they, at least, look like early war SYW Hungarians.

I'll finish the finer points then decide if I want to "cut & paste" (& then paint) 36 figures to create 2 Hungarian battalions.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 30 Dec 2021, 00:03

I finished the HaT conversions & I like them! They've turned out well.

I have several score of the Revell SYW Austrians so I started on a test figure....& did not like it.

So, I'll need to buy some of the HaT SYW Austrians if I want to take this project to its logical conclusion - a number of Hungarian line & Grenadier battalions.

Thinking.....

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 14 Jan 2022, 04:36

I've converted every spare figure I had (slow work) , so I'll now need to acquire a box of the HaT SYW Austrians (probably 'Action') to build a line battalion of 20 figures & a grenadier battalion of 16 but this should give you an idea:

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Return to Miniatures Talk