Miniatures Talk

Chaeonian Guard

Posted by Ochoin on 08 May 2021, 02:30

There's an elite infantry unit used by Pyrrhus that has me curious: the Chaeonian Guard.

Chaon was the province in the north west of Epeiros so I suppose they were recruited from here. They're mentioned as an elite.

In Plutarch's "Life of Pyrrhus" in the battle at Sparta, they're described as the "Chaonon logados," the picked men of the Chaonians. They were mobile enough to be used by Ptolemaios in an attempt to get around the edge of the trench outside the city, along with 2000 Gauls, but they were also heavy enough to participate in a pretty ferocious fight with Akrotatos' 300, which they eventually lost.

So: what are they? Phalangites, according to some, or Spearmen according to others.

I was wondering if they might be an Epirote verion of the famous Hypaspists - Alex.the G.'s all-round fix-it unit?

If so, would the HaT Hypaspist set work for this Pyrrhic unit?

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1447

Opinions sought.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Fire at Will on 08 May 2021, 07:40

This might help

The idea of the Chaeonians as hoplites is a troubling one and one that I and other rules promote out of some idea of 'completeness'.... I really (doubt) they were actually large shielded hoplites-- since they were Illyrians... but as erstwhile hypaspist we seem to feel a need to upgrade them to large shielded.... but without any real physical evidence this will always be speculation. We do get a garbled picture that the Chaeonians were roughly handled when fighting the well armored Romans... so it's tough to make a judgement--- I would leave it as is since making them less than hoplites means that players will always take them as phalangites... but I ramble.

from Bigredbat (Simon Millar)
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tothestrongest/pyrrhic-amy-list-t702.html
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 08 May 2021, 23:35

Thanks for that.

On the Strelets' forum, one cognoscenti mentions they're a type of Illyrian more than a type of Greek. Interesting. The Illyrians were evidently armourless spearmen.

But, of course, surely a Royal Guard would be be given better weapons & equipment?

Another suggested using the Linear A Mithradatic Heavy infantry as a suitable mishmash of weaponry.

Sadly, PSR says many of these figures are incapable of holding a straight spear.

I may have to shelve this idea because of the uncertainty.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by ToneTW on 11 May 2021, 23:09

Donald, it sounds a lot like the Hypaspists at least in the debate in their equipment! Also the later Peltasts of Philip and Perseus. I think it will come down to your personal preference and I imagine they would probably equip themselves depending on the action they would be anticipating.

My guess is possibly they would be more alike to the equipment of Mercenaries which i take to mean long spears small shields (Macedonian Bronze peltai type?) along the lines of Iphicratean type hoplites.
ToneTW  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 12 May 2021, 12:39

I've talked myself into a perhaps fantastical answer to this question:
Thureophori. These medium infantry are introduced some time around now, or a little later. Could the Chaeonians be troops so armed & equipped?

If they were of Epirote/Illyrian origin, medium infantry, spear-armed & carrying a thureos is a possibility?

I'm thinking this set might prove useful for the Chaeonians - maybe with spears replacing javelins & falx.
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=150
They are, essentially, Iphicratic infantry with a Thracian/Illyrian feel.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by ToneTW on 13 May 2021, 08:33

I think Thureos armed is a possibility definitely plausible. Sekunda's Osprey book on Pyrrhus' army suggests that the Tarrantine Whiteshields are Thureos armed but I'm still not convinced by that argument and believe them to be phalangites still.

I can't check what he says about the Chaeonians my book is in storage but certainly the Thureos would be in use in the army somewhere and would not be unrealistic for them.
ToneTW  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 13 May 2021, 09:42

Thanks, Tony.

I can't say how glad I am to read my wild flights of fancy may have some grounding in reality!

I do see Pyrrhus as definitely bridging thegap from the Macedonian to the Hellenistic. I have two hoplite units for his army. These, going out of fashion, can stand next to thureophori, the Next Big Thing.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Return to Miniatures Talk