Miniatures Talk

Disappointment from Newline

Posted by Ochoin on 08 Mar 2021, 08:50

As you know, Newline are generally a high quality manufacturer.

I recently received an order from them, including this figure of Colonel Durnford of the Zulu Wars:

As you can see, the mould seems to be only partly successful, but with the figures' left hand being virtually non-existent.

I am furious. Furious, I say!

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Minuteman on 08 Mar 2021, 08:57

That is a particularly poor figure, Donald, Not only is it rather 'stubby' and poorly-defined but the metal looks dull, as if the lead component of the casting alloy is much too high.

I only have a few dozen Newline figures in my collection and they are generally always good, so this is a bit of a surprise. I assume that you have alerted Newline to the problem: will be interested to hear their response.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 08 Mar 2021, 09:04

Aaarghhh! No!!!! My joke went badly.

And you, Minuteman, of all people.

The figure is great though the photography probably isn't.
The alleged joke relies of the fact Durnford actually lost his left hand in the earlier Xhosa War, so the sculpt is good.

I was going to do a follow-up post, complaining about my Long John Silver figure missing a leg.....

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Emperor on 08 Mar 2021, 09:20

I realise Donald... I remember how I asked my brother to buy me some 1 35 WW1 Skoda gun that is rather rare here...He said he had some job to do... So he went to store and that worker in shop who I don-t like and he doesn-t like me said gun was sold... I think he lied he probably saved gun for some of his pals I mean every time I get into that store he acts as I am no there and he chit chats with his companions who get in store...
Emperor  

Posted by Minuteman on 08 Mar 2021, 12:38

Ochoin wrote:Aaarghhh! No!!!! My joke went badly.

And you, Minuteman, of all people.

The figure is great though the photography probably isn't.
The alleged joke relies of the fact Durnford actually lost his left hand in the earlier Xhosa War, so the sculpt is good.

I was going to do a follow-up post, complaining about my Long John Silver figure missing a leg.....

donald

Well, what a way to start the week! And I always take your posts as 'straight down the line', donald. I'll have to be more careful in the future.

My knowledge of the Zulu Wars is less than adequate, and I will have to read up on Colonel Durnford, and indeed other military personalities of the period who lost limbs and have been forever immortalised in metal (or plastic). I imagine there must be a few of them.

The photo does, nonetheless and to my poor old eyes, suggest a figure which is not that well-defined and is a bit 'leaden'...in fact, it reminds me of some very, very old lead soldiers that my granddad kept in a tin box and let me play with whenever we visited. I'm sure that the Newline figure here is made of better and brighter stuff.

I will retreat now and adopt a low profile for at least the rest of today :oops:

Posted by Ochoin on 26 Mar 2021, 09:41

Death of the gallant Durnford.

Colonel Durnford died at Islandlwana - exactly how, we'll never know.
Given that all of those who escaped were on horse back, Durnford must have had a chance but possibly chose to die with honour.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 26 Mar 2021, 14:24

From far he looks alive to me! Can we have a close up please?

I like that figure a lot and I have seen on the newline site that it costs 0,70£. Not that much but the minimum order to Europe is 3£ + 20% shipping. Rough counting means that the complete costs are around 5 euro. Not that bad. ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by PaulRPetri on 26 Mar 2021, 16:02

Nice work as always Donald.

I hate to be that "Guy" but Durnford was stabbed throught the left elbow severing his nerves at Bushmans Pass rendering his arm useless for the remained of his life. He didnt actually lose his left limb. After the Bushmans Pass incident I think his sole purpose in life was to die gallantly in battle to make up for his poor performance at the Pass. He certainly accomplished that in my mind.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Minuteman on 26 Mar 2021, 20:07

Fine painting donald: I particularly like the Zulus. Durnford and his horse seem to be a bit 'static' in their poses, but nonetheless nicely presented.

I can quite appreciate that , in a fit of Victorian Gentlemanly honour, Durnford had made up his mind to die as a hero. He accordingly met a fitting end, perforated by a multitude of Zulu assegi.

I still have it somewhere (I am a hoarder), but in the 1970s or 1980s the great but now defunct magazine 'Military Modelling' ran a feature on the death of Prince Louis Napoleon, who also died under the points of Zulu spears. If I can find it I'll post an image. It was a diorama, made up of 54mm figures manufactured in those days by Hinchcliffe, and very good too if I remember rightly.

PS: Can we 'lose' the headline of this thread please: There is nothing 'disappointing' about Newline Designs, and it seems a bit unfair to suggest that there is.

Posted by Peter on 26 Mar 2021, 23:22

Oh, and now I have seen it! Happy Birthday Donald! :occasion:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Ochoin on 27 Mar 2021, 00:02

Peter wrote:Oh, and now I have seen it! Happy Birthday Donald! :occasion:

Thanks, Peter.

@ Minuteman. I'm not a diorama-maker as you can see from the photo. These are wargames' figures & the unlucky Durnford will undoubtedly assume command in games set after Islandlwana. However, I would like to see that picture of the Prince Imperial's unfortunate adventure, with an eye to re-creating it.

I think he wore a dark blue patrol jacket so something should be possible from the Newline range.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Minuteman on 27 Mar 2021, 09:48

Happy Birthday donald!

I have a stash of dozens of old Military Modelling magazines: I'll have a look and see if I can find pictures of the diorama. From recollection it shows the Prince Imperial's uniform well, so a possible useful reference.

Return to Miniatures Talk