Miniatures Talk

Rorke's Drift practice game

Posted by PaulRPetri on 08 Dec 2020, 03:09

I was able to grab one of my wargaming partners and have a quick dinning room table battle testing out some rules that Hal Thinglum wrote in 1982 for the battle of Rorke's Drift. I played in one of Hals games at the Little Wars convention in 1986 here in Illinios. That game still lives on in my memory and I have wanted to recreate it for many years. So lets begin.
We just made up one wall and had the zulus attempt to storm it. Since I was playing the British the zulus were sure to win!
Zulus massing for the attack.
The brave British defenders standing to!
With my outstanding leadership the zulus have made it over the wall!!
Holding firm for the time being!
The zulus are pushed back!!
Unfortunatly that just made them mad!!
In my defense my opponent in this game nearly never failed a morale check and crushed me in melee with dice that should have been in Vegas!!
The end of my gallant last stand. The rules are very old school 2d6 and still work after all of these years. I am planning a December 19 full Rorke's Drift battle as I have everything completed!! I will take pictures and post an after action report.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Ochoin on 08 Dec 2020, 05:47

Stirring! I love a good game report - & the follow up will be even better, I'm sure. Your figures & terrain are remarkable.

Just a thought about wargaming the period: it is a challenge to find a scenario & shape the forces to produce something like a balanced battle game IMO.

Because the Zulus are more or less a 'one shot weapon' (ie they close to melee & generally win or they don't & lose), it's hard to avoid an inevitable massacre of one side or the other. I actually find the Sudan easier to game because both sides have several different troop types which allows the "rock, scissors & paper" effect some play.

You'll probably point out that the Zulus had firearms. I have created a couple of "shooty" Zulu units but TBH I don't think this is entirely historically accurate.

At any rate, AZW games look brilliant, so I'll persevere.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by PaulRPetri on 08 Dec 2020, 15:33

Thank you for the kind words Donald.

I agree with everything you say about gaming the AZW. My plan is to run scenario type games with strict objectives for the British. Doing a line up pick up game is pointless. I have Sudan stuff about ready to hit the table top very soon.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Return to Miniatures Talk