Miniatures Talk

The Red Box Guards of Cardinal Richelieu

Posted by steve_pickstock on 04 Dec 2020, 13:42

As per a note I added to the previous post re the King's Musketeers - I was looking at the figures this morning as I got ready to photograph them, and I was a bit harsh with my comments on the soldierly poses, saying that they looked a bit rushed.
They dont.
The proportions of the figures, the detail on them, the faces, they are all absolutely excellent. My only real niggle is the length of the fire-arms, but that's that.

VIPs
First up the Cardinal himself, in less of a martial pose than the UR set, and holding in his hand perhaps the infamous piece of paper "It is by my order and for the good of the state that the bearer of this has done what he has done. Richelieu"
Note to self always be careful what you set down on paper.
Lot of character, nice detail, it's going to take some work to avoid just a mass of red on this, and work in some subtle shading and variation.

A lady, aka Milady de Winter (possibly).
This is such a nice figure, wearing a riding habit, with boots underneath, one showing through the side slit. And this is another example of the level of effort that has gone into these sets. The slit is on this side because when riding side-saddle, this is the leg that goes over the hook on the side-saddle itself. The habit would also have an apron that then covers this leg, but you'd probably not see it so much when the lady is standing on the ground. I don't knwo if this is accurate, but neither can I say that it isn't. There may be friends of mine who can say, but I cannot. It may be that she has a man's apprel underneath (It looks like men's breeches showing above the boots), ready for a mission for the cardinal.
Anyway, nice figure.

Rochefort, complete with eye-patch. Okay so this figure is one I am not sure about. He wears a pair of breeches that appear to be unconfined (not tied at that the knee), but also very short in length and with the ribbons of the under-breeches showing below the hem. I have seen breeches like this , but never this short, normally the ribbons would show at about knee level. Again there has been a lot of effort put into these sets (and I suspect a lot of love), so I would guess that the sculptor has seen an example of these, I haven't but I can't say they're wrong.

Nice officer of guards

Fighting poses
Possibly too many main gauche/left handed daggers - they were becoming less common at this time as rapiers were getting lighter which meant that a competent swordsman could beat the left hand, still perfect competent figures though.
This is possibly my favourite figure from these two sets. A bravo or villainous rogue, swathed in his cloak to avoid being identified. It's just great!

Soldierly Poses
All my previous comments about these, expecially the two partisan armed guardsmen. they are really nice, their faces are especially good.

And finally there is these two. I couldn't resist putting these two together like this.
"A little drink, Bertrand? Don't mind if I do!"
Apart from the charmant poses, nothing wrong with the kit on either of these, The poses themselves are a bit limited but nice all the same, and I can see them turning up in a lot of dioramas.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Peter on 04 Dec 2020, 16:14

Nice looking figures! Thanks for the review Steve! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 04 Dec 2020, 23:14

Yes, thanks from me as well. I am looking forward to get my hands on these.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Return to Miniatures Talk