Miniatures Talk

The Red Box King's Musketeers

Posted by steve_pickstock on 03 Dec 2020, 14:58

These arrived today curtesy of Hannant's.

I also received the Cardinal's Guard figures, which I will review tomorrow and at the weekend I will look at how they compare with other 17thC sets, especially the Ultima Ratio sets.

First up the VIP figure.
Very nice figure of a higher up, would probably pass for King Charle 1 of Engalnd based on this picture
This picture is by Daniel Mytens (1631), only 6 years after the events of Dumas' The Three Musketeers, and serves as a good example of how this costume works.

A Fine Lady in a posh frock
Nothing wrong here either, I particularly like the standing lace collar.

Drummer
This drummer would do for any early 17thC army, despite the Musketeers tabard. Drummers weren't just loud musicians, they served as heralds, and messengers as well, so they always got the best gear and with a bit of judicious painting could easily be fitted in elsewhere.

Standard Bearer
I have not been able to discover whether the Musketeers carried Foot colours (6ft x 6ft) or cavalry cornets, (3ft x 3ft), either way this is neither. The figure itself isn't bad, but the standard needs replacing.

Fighting Poses
Whoever sculpted these has done their homework, from the slightly cocked left foot of the figure about to lunge, to the high guard (Prime) on another figure. These are very no-nonsense poses, none of that waving cups or bottles about. All the costume details are good even down to the multiple buckles on the baldrics where they hold the scabbards.

Soldierly Poses
I was less impressed with most of these. Compared with say, Mars figures, they aren't bad, and my photography doesn't do them any favours at all, but the muskets are too short, they were musketeers not carabineers, and the poses seem a bit rushed compared with the fighting poses. The officer is really nice, with his partisan.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Fire at Will on 03 Dec 2020, 16:24

Thanks Steve, very useful to see some pictures
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Bessiere on 03 Dec 2020, 19:37

I saw these and immediately wanted all the sets even though everything else I have is napoleonic or fantasy. Really nice sculpts and it's great to see so many new sets coming out in our scale.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 03 Dec 2020, 21:00

Nice review Steve! Thank you! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by sansovino on 03 Dec 2020, 21:22

Thanks a lot for your review of the new miniatures. Some seem to be very interesting and useful. It´s only a pity that Redbox made obviously a similiar mistake with very short muskets like Strelets before in 2 of theirs french WSS-sets. Why don´t research many producers enough - or ask the advice of theirs customers?
sansovino  Germany

Posted by Minuteman on 03 Dec 2020, 22:12

I agree, there are some great figures here but the muskets are a disappointment . I can see myself buying this set though, and will certainly be interested in the new cavalry sets.

Fortunately, the Ultima Ratio version 2 Musketeers set does include some figures with suitably long-barrelled weapons. I am likely to use these as the Swedish Lifeguard company - musketeers in light grey cassocks - alongside the Yellow regiment in my gradually-forming Swedish TYW army.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by steve_pickstock on 04 Dec 2020, 12:57

I came back to these today to photograph the other set and I think - I know - I was too harsh in my comments about the soldierly poses. They are not bad, in fact they're really nice, and comments about barrel length notwithstanding, the detail and proportions of these figures, and their nice poses lifts them into the upper range of sets and anything I said about Mars figures, forget it.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by MABO on 04 Dec 2020, 23:17

Very interesting, thanks for taking time to review!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Return to Miniatures Talk