Miniatures Talk

elves vs ELVES

Posted by dykio on 16 Nov 2020, 21:06

Hi Guys,

dont know if this was on the forum already but just to show the size difference between ceaser and dark alliance elves.....

so size does matter afterall :-D
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by Susofrick on 17 Nov 2020, 09:22

Hmm, can some of them be considered half-elves? Maybe the taller ones since they look a little less elfish?
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Nov 2020, 15:52

Grenadier Elves and Light Company Elves my eye says. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by PaulRPetri on 19 Nov 2020, 00:56

I have both in my forces but those Dark Alliance elves really "Stand out". Just a bit too tall for me but they are the only game in town.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Bluefalchion on 19 Nov 2020, 06:30

Elves are supposed to be really tall, especially if they are the ones who traveled to the Uttermost West and returned.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 19 Nov 2020, 21:33

Thanks for the comparison. I would use them as two different units/clans. ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by MABO on 29 Nov 2020, 11:20

Unfortunately I can not see your pics.
MABO  Europe

Posted by captainzlog on 26 Jan 2021, 17:12

Elfish has left the building.......
captainzlog  

Posted by Pocho Azul on 26 Jan 2021, 19:25

Elven "tallness" has been a controversial issue ever since LoTR was published (and possibly before). I always assumed Tolkien's elves, at least the aristocrats, averaged a little taller than the humans of MIddle-Earth, but a surprising number of people concluded that Tolkien's elves were generally a little shorter than humans. Unfortunately, Tolkien neglected to provide any hard numbers. Many individual elves were described as tall, but tall compared to what? Most of the main story is from the perspective of hobbits, to whom Danny DeVito might seem tall.

Tolkien didn't invent the idea of Elves, but other depictions of Elves don't clear things up much. In some stories elves are clearly at least approximately the same size as humans--otherwise changelings wouldn't be very likely to fool anyone, and stories of humans seducing/ getting seduced by or otherwise getting it on with elves become problematic. However, elves overlap with fairies in some traditions, and some fairies, at least, seem to be very small indeed, being able to fit under toadstools and hats and other small things. This is not to mention pop culture depictions of elves doing things like operating major commercial bakeries from the confines of hollow trees.

I am not sure which figures are Caesar and which are Dark Alliance, but the tall brown ones are not just taller, they are also proportioned differently, with extra-long legs, and relatively small torsos and heads, so they seem intentionally extra tall, rather than just scale creeped. They are proportioned a little like Sudanese-born basketball player Manute Bol, if you remember him.

If you want to use both companies figures, I think you could get away with designating the taller ones as a distinct elven tribe or nation, especially as their armor and gear is quite different looking than their shorter cousins. High Elves of Bol, perhaps?
Pocho Azul  United States of America

Return to Miniatures Talk