Miniatures Talk

Epaulets and Gaiters French Soldier Uniform 1870.

Posted by Jaques on 15 Jun 2020, 15:45

Hi friends.

In uniform and painting manuals, the French infantry of 1870 always appears wearing red epaulets and white gaiters. However, in the historical photographs of the soldiers on the battlefield and especially in the photographs of the Paris Commune, it appears that they do not wear epaulettes and gaiters are dark in color.
Could a friend from the forum know about both types?

Regards.
Jaques  Brazil

Posted by Uwe on 17 Jun 2020, 19:01

Hi Jaques,

first of all I am wondering, what Line infantryman have to do around a gun. I guess this is a wrong colouring on artillerymen.

The uniform of the infantry had the epaulettes. Later in the war, after the republic took over, many March-Regiments were established. I think, they simply run out of equipment. You only see the troops without epaulettes in photos from the fall or winter-campaign.

cheers
Uwe
Uwe  Germany

Verified member from Hagen Miniatures (Sponsor) Verified member from Hagen Miniatures (Sponsor)

Posted by Jaques on 18 Jun 2020, 01:25

Hi , Uwe.

Thank you very much for your information. I will also use French infantry from 1870, without epaulettes and dark gaiters.
I know that between the Second Empire and the First World War there are variations in uniforms, equipment and mainly rifles and bayonets in the troops. In particular, I tried to manufacture the crooked sword bayonet, used in 1870, but I found the aesthetic effect ugly. However, as it is for my personal enjoyment and some details in 1/72 do not differ much, I intend to use some figures with generic rifles and bayonets for other periods as well, including the Zouaves and Tiraullers in Africa.

Regards.
Jaques  Brazil

Return to Miniatures Talk