Miniatures Talk

SYW Austrian cuirassiers

Posted by Ochoin on 18 May 2020, 08:53

Just checking: there's nothing in 1/72/20mm?

I've looked at all the various Zvesda Napoleonic cuirassiers but, apart from missing details such as two crossed breast belts, the coat tails are too short.

Anything I've missed? Or do I really have to wait for HaT to produce something......

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by sansovino on 18 May 2020, 17:22

Hi Donald,

there are good prussian cuirassiers from Art Miniaturen:

https://www.schmaeling.de/7-jaehriger-k ... ussen/?p=1

Sorry, I missed the line you were looking to austrians....
There are austrians too but unfortunatly no cuirrassiers

https://www.schmaeling.de/7-jaehriger-k ... icher/?p=2

and from Hagen
https://www.hagen-miniatures.de/Testkat ... duren.html

https://www.hagen-miniatures.de/test-ca ... years-war/
sansovino  Germany

Posted by Ochoin on 18 May 2020, 20:53

Thanks for that.

I'm in the middle of painting HaT SYW Austrian infantry & I must say they're very nice figures. Nicer than the old Revell ones IMO.

To support them, I've converted quite a few units of Dragoons from various sources but my army lacks the punch of cuirassiers. I guess I must wait for HaT to release something.......

Oh & those Hagen Grenz cavalry look very tasty.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Bessiere on 18 May 2020, 22:21

Can you not use the Hat Austrian Cuirassiers and do a head swap from some Revell SYW dragoons? Uniforms and horse furniture look pretty close.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Taipeh on 19 May 2020, 07:20

Taipeh  Germany

Posted by Ochoin on 19 May 2020, 07:32

Bessiere wrote:Can you not use the Hat Austrian Cuirassiers and do a head swap from some Revell SYW dragoons? Uniforms and horse furniture look pretty close.

Although the Revell "pinheads" wouldn't, IMO, make a good head swop, I've used Zvesda GNW figures in the past as well as just substituting head gear (where practical) using the loads of spare HaT tricornes.

But the Napoleonic Austrians are too far apart. . No long tailed coat. And trousers rather than breeches & high boots.

But thank you for taking the time to suggest.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 19 May 2020, 07:37

Taipeh wrote:Hello,

here some more Austrian Cuirassiers:
https://germania-figuren.eu/1-72-Resinf ... erassiere/

Ciao Michael

http://www.germania-figuren.eu

Michael, I have some of your great Grenzer figures. These look very good, too.
But, living on the opposite side of the globe, I know how much 16 figures &+ P&P would cost......something in excess of 90 Euros or $150 AuD. I'm afraid frugal me bridles at paying such a sum for a single unit. No offence, but it's not a practical proposition.

Thank you for taking the time to suggest this.

regards, donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Bessiere on 19 May 2020, 17:06

I didn't look closely enough at the SYW uniforms and I'd want the tall boots and long tails too (I'm assuming they hung well below the cuirass plate?). I can see your predicament, there;s very little out there to even try conversions on. IF we can wait long enough they may yet come!
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Michael Robert on 19 May 2020, 21:38

Donald,
to my mind the most reasonable solution to your problem is using Zvesda Saxon cuirassiers, changing the heads to tricorns and with the help of a bit of milliput add some longer frocks. The figures are really cool.
One more option would be using Steletz Swedish heavy cavalry from GNW - some of the heads with helmets need to be changed.
Personally, I already tried the milliput waist coat elongation and found it not too difficult - I am not a sculpor (well, I tried a bit, but would need much more time than I have available => 4 more months of confinement… NOOOOO)
Well, just my few pennies of thought
Greetings
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Ochoin on 20 May 2020, 06:35

Bessiere wrote:I didn't look closely enough at the SYW uniforms and I'd want the tall boots and long tails too (I'm assuming they hung well below the cuirass plate?). I can see your predicament, there;s very little out there to even try conversions on. IF we can wait long enough they may yet come!

No worries. I am just grateful for you buying into my problem.
donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 20 May 2020, 06:37

Michael Robert wrote:Donald,
to my mind the most reasonable solution to your problem is using Zvesda Saxon cuirassiers, changing the heads to tricorns and with the help of a bit of milliput add some longer frocks. The figures are really cool.
One more option would be using Steletz Swedish heavy cavalry from GNW - some of the heads with helmets need to be changed.
Personally, I already tried the milliput waist coat elongation and found it not too difficult - I am not a sculpor (well, I tried a bit, but would need much more time than I have available => 4 more months of confinement… NOOOOO)
Well, just my few pennies of thought
Greetings
Michael

Michael, I hadn't thought of the Strelets' set. Maybe.....different horses? I will definitely consider your suggestion of the Zvesda set. They were my first choice & I will make an experiment or two before I commit.

At any rate, many thanks.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 20 May 2020, 11:28

Just to show you where I am: the Austrians so far....

new (HaT infantry)

old (Airfix)

different

a blast

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by PaulRPetri on 20 May 2020, 16:43

Excellent army Donald. Loved to see the old Airfix hussars in action. I used them for my SYW forces as well. I constructed my SYW forces several years ago and most of them are conversions of one kind or another. I am not too picky so I used all kinds of stuff. My grenzers are made from Airfix Rev. War British grenadiers, if you can imagine such a thing. I also used tons of Airfix french Napoleonic cuirassiers for all of my SYW forces. Lots of Zvezda GNW heads were lost in that conversion process. Reveal sets were hard to come by when I was assembling my stuff so lots of British Rev War infantry was used to fill out the ranks. I have used these forces to run many games at the Seven Years War Association Convention here in the USA and there hasn't been a move to ban me as a heretic. Well not yet anyway. I personally love the challenge of converting plastic figures and the added benefit is that my armies are like no one else. Anyway thats my thoughts on it.
All the Best,
Paul
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by PaulRPetri on 20 May 2020, 18:07

I went to PSR to jog my memory and I also used Italeri French Carabiniers from the Napoleonic range. As already mentioned the Zvezda Saxon Carabiniers are also a great set. I did use both. With head swaps of course.

Paul

Posted by Ochoin on 20 May 2020, 21:32

PaulRPetri wrote:. I personally love the challenge of converting plastic figures and the added benefit is that my armies are like no one else. l

Exactly, Paul!

I have 3 more battalions of the HaT infantry to finish, then I'll give them a run against The Prooshians.
I'll probably burden the website with photos of that.

regards, donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by PaulRPetri on 20 May 2020, 21:38

I look forward to some more pictures Donald. I would put some of my shots up but it appears Postimage is going to start charging lots of money to use their site for image hosting. Which sucks.

Paul

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 21 May 2020, 08:10

PaulRPetri wrote:I look forward to some more pictures Donald. I would put some of my shots up but it appears Postimage is going to start charging lots of money to use their site for image hosting. Which sucks.

Paul

Paul, that's a pity on two counts.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Marc the plasticsfan on 30 May 2020, 09:45

That is why I went to facebook. I find the ability to share and store photos really straightforward
Marc the plasticsfan  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 31 May 2020, 11:28

Wonderful army, Donald. The old Revell figs look well when painted. I have a lot of them from ancient times where nothing else was available, but today they are a little outdated. But you made a hell of a show out of them.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by MABO on 31 May 2020, 11:29

PaulRPetri wrote:Excellent army Donald. Loved to see the old Airfix hussars in action. I used them for my SYW forces as well. I constructed my SYW forces several years ago and most of them are conversions of one kind or another. I am not too picky so I used all kinds of stuff. My grenzers are made from Airfix Rev. War British grenadiers, if you can imagine such a thing. I also used tons of Airfix french Napoleonic cuirassiers for all of my SYW forces. Lots of Zvezda GNW heads were lost in that conversion process. Reveal sets were hard to come by when I was assembling my stuff so lots of British Rev War infantry was used to fill out the ranks. I have used these forces to run many games at the Seven Years War Association Convention here in the USA and there hasn't been a move to ban me as a heretic. Well not yet anyway. I personally love the challenge of converting plastic figures and the added benefit is that my armies are like no one else. Anyway thats my thoughts on it.
All the Best,
Paul

Thanks for all the hints on possible conversions.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Next page

Return to Miniatures Talk