Miniatures Talk

New project - need advices !

Posted by Chariobaude on 08 May 2020, 15:12

Hey all, i'm starting a new project : the War of the Spanish Succession.
Obviously, i will use strelets sets (only french and brit infantry unfortunately...), and i'm watching for every sets form bulm available on ebay... but maybe you have other references to recommend !
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Bessiere on 08 May 2020, 23:04

BUM has a few WSS sets, whose figures they are ripping off I don't know. They are expensive and not of high quality often.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by sansovino on 09 May 2020, 18:08

Hi, there are some spanish sets which Hagen Miniatures offers.

https://www.hagen-miniatures.de/Testkategorie-21/figuren-40/spanischer-erbfolgekrieg/spanische-armee-212/

and also some austrians - especially the austrian cuirassiers are very nice

https://www.hagen-miniatures.de/Testkategorie-21/figuren-40/die-belagerung-von-wien-1683/
sansovino  Germany

Posted by Marvin on 09 May 2020, 23:22

If you are interested, there are some vintage 1960s WSS figures available. A 'true' 20mm in size they will be a little smaller than Strelets but not extremely so.

http://www.vintagewargamingfigures.info/JohnC.html

http://www.vintagewargamingfigures.info/JohnClists/leshigMarl.html

These are recasts made by John C who now owns these vintage moulds and can be ordered from him via paypal (depending on current restrictions).

Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Chariobaude on 13 May 2020, 12:57

Thank you for all your replies...
i'm starting with the strelets sets (english infantry, 3 types, French infantry 3 and soon 4 sets), the Mars Saxon infantry wich looks like very random to me (good!).
I've ordered a dozen of BUm sets too : some of the poses looks nice, other horrible :eh:

i will now look at the Hagen range, and the VWF, wich looks very promising !
Chariobaude  France

Posted by T. Dürrschmidt on 15 May 2020, 00:21

What about the Great Northern War Range of Zvezda? Uniforms looked quite similar in style in that time....and with Zvezda you will get either two sets of Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery.
T. Dürrschmidt  Germany
Silver Brush winner

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 15 May 2020, 07:16

I was also thinking about the Zvezda GNW-range, but I don't know if the figures are easily available. And, as Thomas says, the uniforms are quite similar.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Rich W on 16 May 2020, 14:25

Looking forward to seeing your efforts with these. The Strelets sets for this period have raised the bar in terms of quality they produce.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by sansovino on 17 May 2020, 19:01

Susofrick wrote:I was also thinking about the Zvezda GNW-range, but I don't know if the figures are easily available. And, as Thomas says, the uniforms are quite similar.

You can use the Zvezda figures with some conversions for dutch or prussians, but the Zvezda figures are mostly 2 mm taller than the Strelets WSS range: circa 24 mm versus 26 mm. Eventually they suits well for wargaming, but less for dioramas.

Actually, it´s also quite difficult or expensive to buy the Zvezda figures, but Zvezda has announced to reissue these figures during 2020.
sansovino  Germany

Posted by Chariobaude on 17 May 2020, 21:13

The zvezda range seems very qualitative, but leads to two problems : the first one has been written by sansovino. the difference of size with strekets is quite considerable.
the second one could be seen as stranger : i think zvezda sets are too "clean", when strelets or Mars are more "full of life", hard for me to describe what i mean...
anyway, my ideas are clearer. this project will ends in a diorama of a battle between:
the two crowns side
at least 4 french regiments (de Mailly, Royal Auvergne, La Couronne, Orléans, if don't change my mind)
One (or two) spanish regiments (Garde Wallone for sure!)
Piedmont dragoons of the spanish cavalry
Artillery

The alliance
An huguenot Regiment (dutch army)
Two or Three English regiment of foot
One catalan regiment
One portugese regiment
one hussards regiment
two dragoons regiments (english)

and obiously, many items of terrain.
This project won't be leaded as my previous on late roman army. It is not on a timeframe of my knowledge, so i will be cooler on historical accuracy ! :-)

Maybe i will manage to create one or two army in order to play wargaming for the first time of my life, but i've to search what rules are designed for me. I don't like small armies ( i think everybody noticed it ! :-D ) and short battles, maybe someone has an idea ?
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Marvin on 02 Jun 2020, 22:17

Chariobaude wrote:Maybe i will manage to create one or two army in order to play wargaming for the first time of my life, but i've to search what rules are designed for me. I don't like small armies ( i think everybody noticed it ! :-D ) and short battles, maybe someone has an idea ?

I wish I could advise you on this but I'm unsure too. I'd be interested to hear what rules you do use!
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Chariobaude on 14 Nov 2020, 15:20

After many hesitations, false starts, aborted testingss, i finally started two armies... in an another timeframe : the Campagn of Egypt of Bonaparte... French revolution against mameluls/Ottomans/Brits ans sepoy ! :yeah: :yeah:
the WSS will be the next one, but considering my pace and the size of my previous projects (see for instance my late roman armyhttp://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18818), in some... years.

I've already finished two demi-brigade, i'll certainly start a topic on this project.
But now again, what rule using ? Classic napoleon era one, or a specific considering the originality of this campagin ?
Chariobaude  France

Posted by MABO on 29 Nov 2020, 09:38

I am really looking forward to follow your new project! Courage!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Return to Miniatures Talk