Miniatures Talk

Figure Comparison, 1/72 WWII Japanese

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 28 Dec 2017, 18:13

From my point of view, the comparison section at PSR is one of its most useful features.
Since the PSR-administrator seems not to have the capacity to permanently update this section, I will try to support the forum with some deliberations regarding 1/72 figures.

I know that Strelets doesn't have too many supporters here and in general, but (although I haven't been their greatest fan myself in the past) their current output deserves a closer look.

Thats why I chose the latest WWII Japanese as an first approach.

The depicted sets are (from left to right, referring to the last picture):
Esci 204 / Italeri 6170 (green)
Revell 02507 (light tan)
Matchbox P5007 / Revell 02528 (reddish brown)
Strelets M128 (light brown) 2 Figures
Waterloo1815 003 / Italeri 6164 (light tan)
Strelets 139 (light brown)
    Strelets M121(light brown) 2 Figures
    Strelets M114 (light brown)

As one can see, they all combine very well with each other. They maximally vary 1,5 mm only, which is absolutely within an acceptable tolerance.
    Only M114 "Japanese in Tropical Uniform" tends a bit to the notoriously chunkier Strelets style, but they're still good figures which mix nicely with their comrades imho.

What do forumers think? Do you need more pictures? How could I improve future comparisons?

Please add ~original to PB pic links as not everyone has the web browser fix. For more info see;
    viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20819&view=unread#unread
    Last edited by Paul on 29 Dec 2017, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: pic links fixed
    Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Posted by Kekso on 28 Dec 2017, 18:16

WW2 is not my era of interest but I definitively applaud to posts like this one.
    Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
    Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Marvin on 28 Dec 2017, 20:10

Really interesting to see this kind of comparison, a great idea!
    Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Wiking on 28 Dec 2017, 20:39

Thank you very much for your informative comparsion.

With the Japanese sets Strelets get interesting for me too.
    And her figure quality increase with this sets. There are not more huge as I saw in the past.
    But unbeaten quality wise in the row of my pic is still ESCI.
    That gives me some headache. Because moulding technology should increase since the seventies.

The last one is a bit too big for my taste. (The standing man pose of this particular set is already used.)
    The Esci and Esci hard plastic set are different sets.

I did not own the Atlantic Japanese.
    That`s all I know in 1/72 soft or hard plastic Japanese WWII figure sets. Beside several pilots from Hasegawa in a set/ kit. (Hasegawa do a new set of pilots (Japanese only ) in hard plastic.)
    And a half and a full figure in IBG Japanese tank kits. As Airfix jungle outpost with two time the same figure.

OK. I do not mentioned the Ex Nitto, Fujimi kits.
    Wasted money to my eyes.
    Wiking  Germany

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 29 Dec 2017, 13:41

Please add ~original to PB pic links as not everyone has the web browser fix. For more info see;
    viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20819&view=unread#unread

Thanks for your help and the hint, Paul. Much appreciated! :yeah:
    Obviously I'm not very experienced with with all this picture-posting-matters.
    Need to change that before tackling another comparison... . :oops:

Posted by Paul on 29 Dec 2017, 14:54

No Problem. I haven´t got the fix added to my browser (as a Mod I can´t really use it as I won´t spot the the pics with the missing ~original fix and be able to correct it) and I wanted to see the pics :-) which are more comprehensive than those on the same subject at PSR :yeah: :yeah:
    Wiking wrote:I did not own the Atlantic Japanese..

I´ve got them and They are really big. :shock:
    The comparison scan at PSR shows them, not as comprehensive as Erich´s, PSR haven´t got around to adding the Strelets, Waterloo etc
    http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Sho ... aspx?id=25
    Paul  China

Help keep the forum online!
    or become a supporting member

Posted by Bluefalchion on 29 Dec 2017, 18:48

Thanks for posting these comparison pics. It is nice to see an explosion of available WW2 Japanese sets.

The Atlantic Sendai Japanese guys are a bit big, but the main issue seems to be their thick bases. If re-based, the Atlantic Japanese will mix in with their fellows better, size-wise. As for other aspects of the Atlantic Japanese, they may be more difficult to remedy.

For those who haven't read it yet, the PSR review of the Atlantic Japanese is one of the most flat-hilarious items on the entire site, and indeed in any article written about this hobby.
    Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Wiking on 29 Dec 2017, 22:19

Bluefalchion wrote:
    For those who haven't read it yet, the PSR review of the Atlantic Japanese is one of the most flat-hilarious items on the entire site, and indeed in any article written about this hobby.

I remember to read the review for Matchbox few years ago. And agreed with PSR that it is a superb set.

Now I read at PSR the review for the Atlantic set. (I get this figures at a model show in my hand some time ago and put it back.)
    The most I like is that they tell you the truth about this set.
    I did not realised that some of this guy wear at tie !
    Wiking  Germany

Posted by zulu`s 1000`s of em on 31 Dec 2017, 18:20

Nice comparison , I have done similar and posted elsewhere , the tropical dress Strelets Japanese are chunkier and taller than others , this become`s more obvious with some of the other poses like the kneeling pose. this is more of an issue when you consider how tall the average Japanese soldier was during WW2 . They are to my taste too big to put side by side with most of my WW2 japs. The other Strelets Japs are very good or both quality and size, I hope they keep expanding the range.
    zulu`s 1000`s of em  United Kingdom

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 10 Jan 2018, 01:02

For the sake of completeness I added the Waterloo1815 figures (# 022), which were overlooked in my initial attempt.

A = Esci 204 / Italeri 6170
    B = Matchbox P5007 / Revell 02528
    C = Revell 02507
    D = Strelets M114 "in tropical uniform"
    E = Waterloo1815 003 / Italeri 6164 "infantry gun & AT team"
    F = Waterloo1815 022
    G = Strelets M128 "in attack"
    H = Strelets M121 "heavy weapons"
    I = Strelets 139 "AA/AT gun with crew"

As previously mentioned, Strelets "tropical" figures ("D") are a bit bulkier than their comrades. Although they are the only set that somewhat resembles the former Strelets style, they can be carefully combined with other figures nevertheless (imho).

This should be a most comprehensive summary of commonly available & noteworthy 1/72 plastic sets regarding WWII japanese infantry at the moment.
    It wasn't intented to include resin or metal figures, nor was it planned to cover other branches like tank crews, paratroopers, airforce or navy personnel.
    A comparison of japanese infantry grunts, plain & simple. ;-) :-D

Have to add that the hard-plastic set from Esci (# 8061) indeed combines very well with the rest of the gang. ;-) :mrgreen:

There is a very nice contribution of painted WWII japanese from different manufacturers at Strelets site.

http://www.strelets-r.com/Pages/Contribution.aspx?ContID=382

Will move on to more size-lineups during the next days.
    See you there! :thumbup:

Posted by Wiking on 10 Jan 2018, 05:54

Nice comparison. :-D
    You lucky one.
    The figure F I get all with a bend fire arm as several other figures too.

Beside some nice and useful (convertible) multi pose there are a few MG in the Esci hard plastic set.
    Wiking  Germany

Posted by Bluefalchion on 10 Jan 2018, 06:50

Wiking--

You can dip those bent firearms in hot water, leave them there for a few seconds, then take them out and pull them straight. When they cool back down, they stay that way. Give it a whirl!
    Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 11 Jan 2018, 17:38

Thanks for this comparison! :thumbup:

Odd, no Japanese figures from Caesar? :eh:
    Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 11 Jan 2018, 18:15

Peter wrote:Thanks for this comparison! :thumbup:
    Odd, no Japanese figures from Caesar? :eh:

My pleasure. :-D

Actually, we already have a WWII Japanese set from Caesar and it is even incorporated into this comparison (figure "F").
    The Waterloo1815 Japanese Infantry (# 022) is evidently sculpted by Caesar (as well as Waterloos WWII US Marines, #027).
    http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1229
    http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1589

Not uncommon at all, Caesar also sculpted 3 excellent Lucky Toys sets (King Porus Indians, Vlad Tzepe Wallachians & Medieval Turks) and Flyhawks WWII tank crew for example.
    http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=894
    http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1514
    http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1515
    http://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/Flyhawk/HTimmerman_Flyhawk_PanzerIAusfF.htm

For reasons of historical/political resentments it seems that chinese/taiwanese manufacturers avoid to handle japanese subjects.
    Sadly! :(

Was pleasantly surprised when Dragon released several japanese WWII tanks a few years ago. :thumbup:

Wouldn't mind more japanese, chinese & western allied (KNIL, Australians, Indians, ...) WWII subjects from Caesar though... . ;-)

Posted by Peter on 11 Jan 2018, 18:46

Thank you for clearing this out! :thumbup:
    Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Wiking on 12 Jan 2018, 05:27

Erich von Manstein wrote:
    Was pleasantly surprised when Dragon released several japanese WWII tanks a few years ago. :thumbup:

Me too.
    IBG do a few and some more are in the pipeline too !
    Wiking  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
    or become a supporting member

Posted by Wiking on 16 Jan 2018, 05:31

I have to add to my japanese figures report the Ultima Ratio set.

Wiking  Germany

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 23 Jan 2018, 13:15

Although this was meant to be solely focused on japanese infantry, I will add a short comparison of WWII jap. paratroopers during the next days... . ;-)

Received those last december, but they're still on sprue because of the gazillion other projects on the bench.

Unbelievable that this long-time overlooked subject gained 3 brand new sets in merely 2 years.

Return to Miniatures Talk