Miniatures Talk

Photo issue

Posted by Zed1 on 26 Jun 2017, 22:46

Hello friends!

Well... I nailed it with the may duel, I know. The pics were pretty lame and I regretted to have sent these in the very minute I saw them on the screen. :eh:
I had lots of troubles finding a space in this house I'm living in that will not provide greenish light. That's because there are so many large trees around here... let's say there were - we had a tornado two weeks ago that damaged these large trees so much that they had to be removed. So now - I've got a new light situation here, thanks to climate change. :mrgreen:

Okay. I invested some money and bought myself a photo tent. I erected it and tested several options. I'm still experimenting, but I'm optimistic that sooner or later, good photos will be the result.
Nevertheless, I've discovered an issue that I wanted to discuss with you.

First - let's take some new snapshots from my duel figure. Here they are.

Now - tell me what's the point with that lighting. I mean - the pics look a lot brighter when I look at the originals on my harddrive. They look brighter on my camera. When I upload the pics to photobucket, they seem to become darker. Same if I post them on the forum. Why is that? Is there any reason why my jpg's get darker after processing?
Has anyone of you any idea about what I could do against it?
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Cryns on 27 Jun 2017, 09:40

Dear Zed1,

I am sorry about your pictures messed up the painting duel. :(
But very good of you to post your question here.
And your gladiator lady looks very nice. :yeah: :-D

Zed1 wrote:we had a tornado two weeks ago that damaged these large trees so much that they had to be removed. So now - I've got a new light situation here, thanks to climate change.

I am glad you can see its positive side. We had that tornado too. My neighbors lost part of their roof garden. But now to your pictures:

Zed1 wrote: the pics look a lot brighter when I look at the originals on my harddrive. They look brighter on my camera. When I upload the pics to photobucket, they seem to become darker. Same if I post them on the forum. Why is that?

I use the same route as you do: camera - computer hard drive - photobucket - forum.
I used two different camera's for this and do not recognize the problem you are facing. I can think of no solution.

But when I look at your pictures (first of all I must say they are much better than the ones you send to the duel) I don't think its too dark. I think you use too little light so the camera can not make a proper image of it. Look at those large pixels. Best visible in the grey background but also covering most of your human figure. Same with the duel pics you took (but there the background was white and your figure a dark silhouette)
Usually this means you use too little light. And so the automatic camera is using a function called 'gain' to pump the low light up to bright - thus creating messy pixels.

You should try to place your models outside (shadow or very bright cloudy day) especially now those trees have gone :mrgreen:

Large pixels also appear when the resolution (number of pixels) is too low but you probably know all of this already since you posted many good pictures in the past.

For comparison: open Udo Spreng's latest pictures of the Crusader Knight and zoom into different tones of the image: you still see sharpness, you still see blur in the un focus parts, but very little pixels.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Return to Miniatures Talk