Miniatures Talk

Saxon & Voltigeurs Guard.

Posted by gbvarese on 30 Apr 2017, 17:17

Dear all,

I'm in the process of preparing the Saxon army for the 1813 campaign. The combined grenadier battalion (Hat set 8042) that you se here, consists of companies from different regiments. Beside them there are two Airfix infantrymen in Saxon uniform. In spite of the inaccuracies, this old set still mantains a sense of vitality which other sets doesn't have. This is why I would like to complete my Saxons with various battalions made up with the Airfix's Frenchmen. By watching the attached photos, do you have the sensation that they are compatible enough ?

The other images represent two soldeirs of the young Guard Voltigeurs ( Zvezda 8042 and Hat 8219). It's evident that the backpacks supplied by the two manufacturers are rather different in size: which of the two in your opinon is the most realistic?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Giovanni.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
gbvarese  Italy

Posted by Graeme on 01 May 2017, 17:57

Great looking figures Giovani.

I don't see any huge problem with compatibility, the Airfix marching figure and the HaT pointing NCO are a good match for each other. The standing ,firing figures look a little slender beside the Airfix guy but they are standing side on.
With the figures in different battalions you could definitely put them on the same table.

On the firing figure the pack looks to be a bit too large for the figure. The smaller pack looks like a more accurate size.

Oddly the figure with the smaller pack looks to be a bit broader than the other. I wonder how they'd look if the packs were swapped? The larger pack might still be a bit big.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Peter on 01 May 2017, 20:06

Giovanni you did a fantastic job on these figures! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by gbvarese on 01 May 2017, 20:39

Dear Graeme, Thanks for your kind answer.

As you can see from the attached photos taken from the French "Tradition Magazine" It seems that the backpacks were rather wide like the one of Zvezda which appears to be a little bit rigid. I prefer the one of Hat as it is a good compromise.

Best greetings.

Giovanni.
ImageImage
gbvarese  Italy

Posted by gbvarese on 01 May 2017, 20:41

Thanks Peter. Gio.
gbvarese  Italy

Return to Miniatures Talk