Miniatures Talk

Frank Ziegler Miniatures - The better Ultima Ratio in 1/72

Posted by Koppi on 29 Apr 2017, 06:58

Today I want to show you Frank Zieglers renaissance miniatures in comparison with the new releases of the company Ultima Ratio UR 007 and UR 008.
I know Frank Ziegler personally and I like his sculpts.
I hope that my report will make his range more prominently.
Have fun with the pictures.
Text of the article in german and english.

http://thrifles.blogspot.de/2017/04/fra ... ssere.html

Koppi  

Posted by Cryns on 29 Apr 2017, 10:16

Koppi thanks for this post.

More people should follow your example:

pay some special attention more often to the independent, small sculptors and producers.
Instead of directing all the attention on plastics from the well known big companies.

Those big companies need our attention too, I think nobody gets rich by producing scale figures. But the small companies working in metal and resin need our attention (and wallets) even more.
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by sberry on 29 Apr 2017, 14:22

Mr. Cryns wrote:pay some special attention more often to the independent, small sculptors and producers.
Instead of directing all the attention on plastics from the well known big companies.

Those big companies need our attention too, I think nobody gets rich by producing scale figures. But the small companies working in metal and resin need our attention (and wallets) even more.

Hear, hear! Couldn't agree more with this. The output of the big companies is fine when you need large numbers of figures at a reasonable price. But it is the figures and models of those smaller producers, often on exotic and unique topics, which make our hobby really come to life. I have just received a parcel with some of the fine stuff made in resin by Phersu - none of this would be available in plastic from any of the big players.
sberry  Germany

Posted by Koppi on 30 Apr 2017, 14:56

Thanks a lot for your replies. Today there are so much small companies, we should support. O.k. for Wargamers plastic figures are great, because they are cheap. But for diorama builders the output of smaller companies is so much better: More poses, more epochs, more variety.
I really like them.
Koppi  

Posted by zirrian on 05 Jun 2017, 18:00

Since when Ultima Ratio is a big company?

edit: from Paul I've heard that they are a metal manufacturer's minis but in plastic, but didn't know whom. Thanks for the information - I have the two boxes of UR coming, but in case I need more stuff, I'll get them from Ziegler. I'll try to paint up one sprues of each quickly and post some pics as there aren't many pictures of painted medievals, especially new stuff floating around, sans Paul's, obviously. I enjoy the output of Ultima Ratio immensely, and hope they'll do more exotic and interesting subjects in the future. Right now, besides the stuff that's in the post, the only figs I'm missing are the two WW2 Soviet boxes.

edit2: seems like the originals of the UR wasn't Ziegler...but ah well, nice figures there regardless!
zirrian  Hungary

Posted by Frankzett on 07 Jun 2017, 16:33

Indeed, I had no collaberation with Ultima Ratio. The types of my "Gewalthaufen" have measures and proportions like the Miniart "Swiss Infantry" or "Italian Knights" - but a little finer than these. In a historical view of the clothing and armour they are dating 1-2 generations after the Miniart ones and their style is more German.
I have no minis from Ultima Ratio, so it will be interesting to see how they will correspond with each other in your work ....

Greeting
Frank
Frankzett  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Miniatures Talk