Miniatures Talk

1790's British Infantry?

Posted by Springinsfeld on 15 Mar 2017, 13:33

Hello all, it's been quite a while but I am starting to collect figures for the Flanders campaign and the Battle of Tourcoing. Any ideas of what to use for British Infantry? I was looking at HAT Spanish 8302 (breeches and gaiters :-D coats are too short :( ) or HAT Saxons 8187 (good coats :-D but wearing trousers :( )

Any ideas for other troops of the period would be welcome too. I'm using the Italeri Austrians, which are ok, but the Kasketts are too big :mad:

many thanks in advance
Springinsfeld  United Kingdom

Posted by Edwardian on 15 Mar 2017, 14:20

Springinsfeld wrote:Hello all, it's been quite a while but I am starting to collect figures for the Flanders campaign and the Battle of Tourcoing. Any ideas of what to use for British Infantry? I was looking at HAT Spanish 8302 (breeches and gaiters :-D coats are too short :( ) or HAT Saxons 8187 (good coats :-D but wearing trousers :( )

Any ideas for other troops of the period would be welcome too. I'm using the Italeri Austrians, which are ok, but the Kasketts are too big :mad:

many thanks in advance

From what I have seen, for 1/72nd AWI might be a reasonable match - some of the illustrations show British infantry in the 1790s still with fall-down collars as well as some with stand up.

The Accurate/Imex/Revell set gives you gaiters (that you can trim to the knee) and breeches and long coats and hats.

Light companies would probably have short coat tails, perhaps with a round hat, so perhaps the A Call to Arms AWI figures could be adapted, though whether they mix well with the Accurate I could not say.

I don't have either set, but they are probably where I would start looking if I were you.
Edwardian  United Kingdom

Posted by Springinsfeld on 15 Mar 2017, 19:33

Good idea, I was thinking about the Imex AWI figures, but some of the silly action poses put me off a bit. I'll take another look. Strelets do British infantry in round hats, so that's a start. Thanks for your suggestions.
Springinsfeld  United Kingdom

Posted by Green Tiger on 30 Mar 2017, 13:44

Basically there is nothing that is spot on. I have used AWI infantry though as noted above this is a transitional period and so they aren't right for the later period really.
I have recently converted some HaT Avant Garde into British lights, pictures on the blog:
http://greentigeryork.blogspot.com/
Green Tiger  United Kingdom

Return to Miniatures Talk