Miniatures Talk

Playmobil color, Enamel, acrylic...

Posted by Wiking on 11 Feb 2017, 06:17

Very first painted figures.
Nostalgic:
Wiking wrote in -Miniatures Talk- What was your first set of 1/72 figures:

My first figures at the age of around ten years was Airfix Hong Kong copy of japanese army and a copy of Airfix German soldier. I can`t remember how I get it.
I remember that in summer at school one time each year there was a flea market only for us kids.
There I bought my first Airfix figures. Not a complete set! Bits and fragments what mates find at home to sell. Some US civil war gunners, A few Indians and this and that.
My very first figures box was German soldier WW II from Esci. A few days earlier my friend bought the Esci Russian WWII. The other one the french WWII from Esci. The smoking penguin at the back side of the box was very funny to us at that time. Because he is doing so lazy with all this dangerous weapons around him.
We don`t know Atlantic or anything else. Painting the figures was done with overhead projector pencils.
Then we play what we see with the parents in the 8.00 pm news the next day. A time there only 3 program at TV are available.
The battle of Beirut.
We use the friends wooden bricks, matches some Lego stuff and what was useful.
The rules was easy. You shoot at only one figure. Take it around 15 cm high and let it drop down.
If the face is to the earth. A fallen soldier. The face look up to the sky, a second try, face to the ground he is wounded. Up to the sky. You miss him. Now the opponent is on turn.
The wounded soldier for example on Monday you can get only on next Monday! Each day you get only three new (ex fallen) soldier. Remember a Esci box contain around "only" 50 figures. If you attack one house you lost arond five figures. There was more negotiation you get this house then you give up that strong point and so on then hard battle. Hold the line and save your troops!
With arond 300 figures defender and builder of our 1/72 Beirut it was logic that my both friends attack me be cause I get the most figures. Day for day continues losses if you get attacked from the right and left side. And my red cross was full each day!
You read that I write a lot. Was a funny teenager time.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Cryns on 11 Feb 2017, 14:49

Dear fellow Buttoncounters,

Is it flesh or flash (plastic membranes)?
Is it pencils, markers, felt tips or felt pence?
I hope some English natives (Bluefalchion? Beano Boy?) can give us a clue.

Wiking wrote:The rules was easy. You shoot at only one figure. Take it around 15 cm high and let it drop down.
If the face is to the earth. A fallen soldier. The face look up to the sky, a second try, face to the ground he is wounded. Up to the sky. You miss him. Now the opponent is on turn.

Question to Wiking: Your game report is as remarkable and entertaining as much of your work but what part of Germany were you born that by 1985 they were still not aware of the existence of dice? ;-)

And when imagining your use of fate and fortune, I must conclude some figures were more vulnerable than others because of gravity physics. I think a figure carrying a heavy box would have a much shorter live than someone with a heavy backpack. :eh:

Bluefalchion wrote:I still have some of that stuff. I'll see what I can dig up.

Dear Bluefalchion, I can not remember you posting a single picture since the day I joined Benno's Forum. Is that correct or am I mistaking? Anyway, I am looking forward to see some of your early work.

Dear Huib, I can hardly believe my eyes looking at your picture and supporting text :drool: :shock: :eh:
My big brother had exactly such Airfix figures and if I remember it well, he used my felt pencils to paint them together with their 8th Army enemies that also had that very useful khaki basic color. I remember he didn't mind the flash/flesh too much either.... :-D
Cryns  Netherlands

Supporting Business Supporting Business

Posted by huib on 11 Feb 2017, 18:08

Mr. Cryns wrote:Dear Huib, I can hardly believe my eyes looking at your picture and supporting text :drool: :shock: :eh:
My big brother had exactly such Airfix figures and if I remember it well, he used my felt pencils to paint them together with their 8th Army enemies that also had that very useful khaki basic color. I remember he didn't mind the flash/flesh too much either.... :-D

That's a funny coincidence, Mr. Cryns! :shock: :yeah:

But the difference with your brother is that my Airfix 8th Army figures were or not painted at all or, the next step in a boys modelling career, partly painted with enamel:

The figure top left is unpainted. With the others, skin, equipment, weapons and helmets are painted, using the sand coloured plastic conveniently as the uniform colour.

As I lost the tiny Vickers machineguns I changed the gun crew into medics, adding red crosses to their helmets and making the machine gun ammunition belt into bandage! :-D

I must have been between 10 and twelve years of age, I guess.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Bluefalchion on 11 Feb 2017, 18:33

Mr. Cryns--

You are correct, I have not posted very many pictures on this forum. My works are pretty modest compared to some of the masters who regularly display their output here at Bennos. This was the first picture I published here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7517&p=92783#p92783

I used photobucket and found the process cumbersome. But I did post some more pics of my Atlantic DAK conversions about three years ago. Then there were the two duels I lost v. MABO (Mr. X 2016) last year.

All in all, quite few examples! I also have a busy career and a marriage and a two-and-a-half year old son at home, but I hope to show more pictures of my works here soon. Thanks for your interest.

As for the extra bits of plastic that have to be cut off the figures when you take them out of the box, the English words seems to be flash, mold marks, or excess plastic. Although there may be subtle differences between and among those terms. Whatever you call them, they can certainly be a pain to remove!
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 12 Feb 2017, 12:30

Well forgive my ignorance Mr.Cryns, upon such matters as colouring playmobil figures using felt tip pens,it is something I have never seen or heard of before.I must say that I prefer the ready coloured ones on display we have these days. ;-)

Yes it is Flash in English, and derives from the foundries of old were metal flash had to be knocked off castings and then trimmed off with a cutter powered by a factory air compressor. Actually the process is still ongoing today,and is a grinding down process of many a man.BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Wiking on 12 Feb 2017, 18:01

Mr Cryns wrote:
... I must conclude some figures were more vulnerable than others because of gravity physics.

You hit the nail!
I remember this one hold the line very well. If the air was filled up with lead.
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g34 ... feaohz.jpg
Each soldier should due his duty on its own and not decided by a dice at the green table. :mrgreen:

I know that an Airfix Indan is hard to explain to you by history in the XX century to the battle of Beirut.
But we were young we need money ... :mrgreen:
Wiking  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Xantippos on 06 Aug 2017, 16:43

I never kenw the existence of these "paint yourself" playmobils until reading this post. Now that I think about, I might have some of this playmobils, still white and never painted!

I had very few playmobils as a child, I had the vintage rubbish truck and the forklift. Both were used as accesories and complement to my 1/32-1/35 battles, I never had enough playmobils for a battle of just them! they were very expensive in comparison with soldiers.

Nowadays I collect some Playmobils, the ones I can find cheaply in markets or charity shops.

About painting, I've hardly never had the need of painting my soldiers, as I built model kits, and those I did paint and still do. With my imagination I had enough in those days.

The first set I painted along with my father were the Revell german ww1 soldiers, with some Revell enamels that were bought specially for the occasion, the exactly the recommended colours, as they were labelled in the back of the box. The result was very satisfying ,they were painted by dipping the whole soldier in the pot of paint! and then painting the flesh and the weapon. I still have them, very worn after many battles , nearly always acting as WW2 Gestapo.
Xantippos  

Previous page

Return to Miniatures Talk