Miniatures Talk

Your favourite tank?

Posted by Zed1 on 04 Dec 2016, 09:55

Well... my grandpa was a tanker as well. Served on a PzIII, later on a PzIV throughout the campaign in Russia.
He always said that he had done his part and would never, ever get into a 'rolling coffin' again...

If I had to chose a favourite rolling coffin, I would go for ugly - dunno why, but by the looks I like the M3 Lee the most. :xd:
Zed1  Germany

Posted by PDA on 04 Dec 2016, 17:28

Picking just one is hard!

Obviously, the WW1 British Tank Mark I, in Solomon camouflage, has to be considered; it represents the birth of a completely new weapon that changed everything! The shape is alien, and the camouflage is cool; what more could you want!

The WW2 T34-85 surely has to be a contender. A powerful tank, produced in quantity, more than a match for any opponent, and good looking as well.

I have a soft spot for the WW2 Grant.

The Israeli Merkava MkIII is surely the most effective tank there has ever been.

The Covenanter is a good looking tank, but purely on looks alone I think it has to be the Crusader MkIII.

So I'll go with the Crusader, but any of these could easily change my mind.
PDA  England

Posted by zulu`s 1000`s of em on 05 Dec 2016, 00:14

Not easy, but from a short list of three, Panther, fell in love with the Airfix kit as a child, loved the lines and shape of it, the Centurion, because it was the Tank that finally caught up with German tank design,all be it too late, but it did command the battlefield for the next twenty years, and still looks the part today. But my winner is the Churchill, because the Airfix kit was so fiddly ,it was such a reward to see it come together, but it was also so versatile and tough, there is one on display near my wife`s parents home, when I see it I still look in awe.
zulu`s 1000`s of em  United Kingdom

Posted by Graeme on 05 Dec 2016, 04:11

Local interest dictates that I should vote for this one:

This is our claim to fame and we're happy to have it. Although for the past few years it's been in a plastic bubble out at Ipswich and now, apparently, we've loaned it to the shiny bums for a few years (I do recommend the National War Memorial in Canberra to anyone, fantastic display).

It's an ugly looking blighter though. For truly beautiful tanks nothing compares with the WWI British lozenge shaped tanks, they pre-empted Art Deco.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by GumSmith on 05 Dec 2016, 11:37

Yeah,
that`s a real ugly one - isn`t it the only remaining Original Sturmpanzer A7V, right ?
I often visited the Replica at Panzermuseum Munster, but Australia is a bit far for me at the moment.

cheers GumSmith
GumSmith  Germany

Posted by Peter on 05 Dec 2016, 21:42

Matilda! :P
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Graeme on 06 Dec 2016, 12:41

Yes that is" Mephisto", which usually lives here in Brisbane, It is the only surviving A7V but yesterday I came across this article which says someone thinks they've found one at the bottom of a river in Europe.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/a7v-tank-from-world-war-i-on-the-bottom-wieprz-river-it-may-be-the-first-original-in-europe.html

"Mephisto" might still hold the record for the most audacious souvenir that soldiers brought back from the war though.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Wiking on 06 Dec 2016, 20:38

The devil at the A7V look like he is running with his surf board to the beach (Great Barrier Reef).
Following the long round thing. :mrgreen:

But I think the surf board should be a British tank.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by huib on 12 Dec 2016, 10:57

What is your favourite tank? Nice question, but impossible to answer. And a lot of my favourites were mentioned by others already.

Let's limit myself to World War II, which is my main period of interest.
If I were a tanker and wanted to survive combat, I'd go for the Tiger I or Tiger II.
If I was a general that wanted the best tanks for battling the enemy, I 'd go for the Panther.
If I was a head of state and wanted to win the war, I'd go for the T-34.
If I would go for elegance, I'd choose the Crusader Mk I.
If I would go for an interesting vehicle, I'd choose a Churchill Mk IV AVRE carpet layer with full wading gear.
If I would go for a beautiful tank, I just wouldn't know. (Tanks are not very beautiful).
And if I would let my heart speak to answer this question, I would say, with a lot of doubt, the Queen of the Desert: A Mathilda Mk II in caunter scheme camouflage. Maybe :-)
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Carlos on 14 Dec 2016, 23:59

Well I have not a favourite tank, cause Im in softskins, any way I made some tanks, if I have to choose one, probaly will be a king tiger porsche turret or a T34 85.
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by duke of creta on 05 Jan 2017, 23:14

tiger i strength and graces his name and only cause terror
duke of creta  Greece

Posted by poky on 08 Jan 2017, 16:54

Marasel M.05, Jagdpanzer 38t but the Panther is also a old favorite, I like the sleek lines of them, also T-55 but without upgrades that clutter the looks which a lot of them have, but also like the weird interwar stuff and the tiny 1 man tanks
poky  Netherlands

Posted by Gowan on 18 Jan 2017, 22:34

I'm going to go with the Bob Semple tank. Because New Zealand really did at least try to build a tank :P :P

If however I was to choose a good tank I would probably go with the Leopard 2A6 because they look awesome.
Gowan  

Previous page

Return to Miniatures Talk