Miniatures Talk

Reproduction of animal fur in scale 1/72

Posted by stenfalk on 14 Jun 2016, 21:56

My dear friends and experts,

I have made my first experiences in model building in the field of military vehicles though it was always very important to build as closely as possible in the scale. You know: 1 mm in model corresponds to 7.2 cm in original. Since I started to sculpting this experience gives me a problem again and again.

How I make the fur of animals I build?

Particularly in dogs with very smooth fur or with so-called "stockhair" I ask myself this question always. So far I have built the sculptures in this case "smooth". But I know also that there are other views on this topic. Today I would like to invite you to say your opinion. Or rather your wishes! How should look a dog in 1/72-scale?

My interpretation is you known already. If not you can look it at the following photos easily again:

1) Partly long hair at the "Westie", shorthair at the Great Dane

2) Shorthair at the Great Dane and the Doberman Pinscher, except back nearly long hair everywhere at the Leonberger

3) Stockhair at the German Shepherds with partial shares of long hair in the area of the throat

It would be a great joy to get a lot of feedback. I would like to learn very much a lot about the claims and wishes of you all.

Ok, the debate is open...
stenfalk  Germany

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Susofrick on 15 Jun 2016, 08:02

Is the great dane wagging his tail when he greets the westie? Must be! :-) The master for these questions I think is Alex. He have made some dogs in 1/72, and he is really good with them now! Here is a pic of me and my dog in 1/72 and it seems that Alex have the same method as you do.

And here is the same dog in an old WIP-pic (with Paul playing his lute in the background):

Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Silver Brush winner

Posted by Sho on 17 Jun 2016, 12:12

Almost quiet on fur front..

You asked a difficult question. Who is qualified to answer? Nobody.. besides yourself.
And you do it very well.
Sho  Estonia

Posted by stenfalk on 17 Jun 2016, 21:17

Sho wrote:Almost quiet on fur front..

You asked a difficult question. Who is qualified to answer? Nobody.. besides yourself.
And you do it very well.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
stenfalk  Germany

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Paul on 18 Jun 2016, 14:47

stenfalk wrote:How I make the fur of animals I build?

How should look a dog in 1/72-scale?

Answer to both..as you are making them :yeah:
Paul  China

Moderator Moderator

Return to Miniatures Talk