Miniatures Talk

Germania SYW figures

Posted by Ochoin on 14 Oct 2015, 08:55

I came home from work to find a welcome box of Germania figures.
These included packs of the Regt #1 & Regt #3 Grenzer & a pack of the Hungarian Line infantry command. I have much experience with metal & plastic figures from a large range of manufacturers but I have never had resin figures before: which is the point of this post.

I should comment on the packing as they need to travel a long way from Germany to Australia & I have received broken & crushed figures from various sources before. These were packed in fitted "blister" packets with fitted foam cells inside. In other words, in perfect order.

The figures are in superb detail & completely historically accurate. Their sizes matches well with Zvesda, HaT, Wodenfield (Hagen) & other 1/72-20mm SYW figures. These are not the issues. Can they withstand the rigours of wargaming?

I was really pleased to see the resin really resembles any hard plastic in terms of durability and a smooth finish. The fine detail of muskets & pole weapons etc is in the form of metal accessories to be glued on. There is nothing to disastrously snap off. It should be noted most wargaming figures are mounted on multiple figure bases, which does minimise handling anyway. This is how I will finish these, as per normal. Clearly, I haven't tried them out in a game yet but I can see absolutely no problems.

The next step is undercoating & painting. I think first a good wash in warm water & soap suds is in order but I don't anticipate problems.

I'll keep the readership posted.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Return to Miniatures Talk