Miniatures Talk

unmounted US Cavalry figures

Posted by romeo on 12 May 2015, 09:49

Hi everybody,

im about to start a new projekt about the american indian wars. Therefore i need some unmounted US cavalry figures to protect a fort. Unfortunatly there are no appropriate figures on the market and i need to build my own by converting existing figures. (Im not able to sculpture them by myself :cry: )

Here is a example of how i expect my figures to look like (without the cape):

For the upper body i will try to use the german africa corps by airfix because of the pockets and suspenders:

But for the lower body i haven't found a ideal figure kit. I need figures with boots reaching up to the beginning of the knee and trousers which are not overlaid by parts or pieces of clothing from the upper body. The only set that i have found that fulfills these requirements is airfix ww2 australian infantry. But the quality is not the best and i hope to find some other sets to have more variety in my figures.

Does anyboby know where i can find a set that would match my needs? I would highly appreciate some ideas and suggestions.

Best Regards,
Romeo
romeo  

Posted by Susofrick on 12 May 2015, 09:51

No idea about any set, but love the idea! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 13 May 2015, 11:35

Sounds like a nice project! Good luck! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by SamSagace on 14 May 2015, 09:03

Maybe all the ACW Union or Confederate figures could be used for this project ?

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/PeriodList.aspx?period=29 it's a large choice ! :lol:
SamSagace  France
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Peter on 14 May 2015, 14:23

I've been thinking about your problem. A lot of the WW2 German figure sets have these legs with boots.
For example the Airfix ones: http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=26

Just a suggestion. ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by romeo on 18 May 2015, 10:20

Hi,

thanks for your answers.

@Susofrick: I hope i can realize it as good as i imagine it.

@hodude: Thanks. Yes indeed the IMEX ACW Union Cavalry set seems to be the only ACW set that i could use... 3 useful poses are not much but maybe i will buy this set to have some additional options. Your mounted guys look great. I remeber that i saw your conversions some months ago.

@SamSagace: Thanks for the idea. Unfortunatly most of the infantry sets don't have boots exept some single figures but this is not enough for my project. The cavalry sets do have the boots that im looking for but i can't use them as dismounted guys due to their riding poses.

@Peter: Thank you for the suggestion! I also had that idea and i think i will try to use them but the only things that bothers me is that in most cases the jackets or other parts of the upper body overlays the legs. That means i have to trim them with a sharp knife... lets see how it works out.

Any other suggestions or ideas are welcome!

Best regards,
Romeo
romeo  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by SamSagace on 18 May 2015, 11:35

SamSagace  France
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Peter on 18 May 2015, 11:36

Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to Miniatures Talk