Miniatures Talk

Waterloo Elm Tree 1818

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Mar 2015, 13:57

While doing some research into the Queens Royal Trust pictures I came across this one. Bought by the Prince Regent in 1818,it was drawn by Anna Childrens on the very spot where it stood. This is the tree under which the Duke of Wellington sat on the battlefield of waterloo. After the battle it became a popular haunt of tourists who took bits off the tree as souvenirs The owner of the land grew tired of having his crops ruined ,and decided to cut the tree down. Fourtunately Anna was able to draw the tree before it was felled and her father bought the wood from the owner. Anna Childrens went on to paint many pictures of the Waterloo area. As for the tree, there being no photo records at that time ,I believe it to be the only such record of what the Elm Tree actually looked like. I realised upon seeing the picture,that those who have,or are indeed at this time modelling the battlefield area where the tree stood might have interest in seeing this large Elm Tree. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Emperor on 29 Mar 2015, 21:24

@BB Interesting story...Reminds me on story from Mišar battle...Namely Mišar hill is located near bank of river Sava which was the frontier between Ottoman and Habsburg empire, and hill was on Ottoman side...On day of battle Turks called people across of Sava to come and watch the battle...Austrian officers came with lot of people...They made a watch tower near bank of river, and they watched the whole battle...A lot of people came that day to watch the battle on other side of river...
Emperor  

Posted by Peter on 30 Mar 2015, 21:52

The tree was bought by an English businessman. He made two chairs of it! One for the Queen Victoria and the other one for the Duke!
In 1980 a new tree was placed on the same spot.

Really nice drawing!
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Mar 2015, 22:41

That is very interesting Peter. A certain something that I did not know. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Return to Miniatures Talk