Miniatures Talk

SAGA

Posted by Ochoin on 03 Sep 2014, 07:47

I've finished a Saga "faction" of Late Romans/ Arthurian British & want to start on an Anglo-Saxon force as opposition.

What figures are you using (ZIRRIAN?)

cheers donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 04 Sep 2014, 08:54

Any opinions on using these for Saxons?

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1905

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by zirrian on 04 Sep 2014, 11:48

Ochoin wrote:I've finished a Saga "faction" of Late Romans/ Arthurian British & want to start on an Anglo-Saxon force as opposition.

What figures are you using (ZIRRIAN?)

cheers donald

Oh, did you mention me?

I have a box of Revell Anglo-Saxons which will be good for it, I guess. The linked Sassanis box...dunno, need some headswaps, and I guess it'll be fine for Levies. Other than that, maybe some Strelets boxes could help.
zirrian  Hungary

Posted by Ochoin on 04 Sep 2014, 12:52

I knew you'd been building Saga forces.

Most of the available Saxons are pretty ordinary (except for the Strelets' "Before Battle" set) & the Revell are hard to get.

I'm thinking if you use hot water on the bows to straighten them out & carve a few of the more outlandish hats into passably simple metal or leather pots, then these HaT Sassanids might pass muster for a levy bows unit or two.
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by zirrian on 04 Sep 2014, 14:22

Ochoin wrote:I knew you'd been building Saga forces.

Most of the available Saxons are pretty ordinary (except for the Strelets' "Before Battle" set) & the Revell are hard to get.

I'm thinking if you use hot water on the bows to straighten them out & carve a few of the more outlandish hats into passably simple metal or leather pots, then these HaT Sassanids might pass muster for a levy bows unit or two.

They'll be al right. Only thing noteworthy in my humble opinion, is that you need to get rid of the buckler on the javelin armed man. They didn't really use them in that era AFAIK. Also, get some bare heads for them for the sake of variation.

The Strelets Anglo-Saxons before battle could be useful too for extra poses, and I say they can be used for good. If you can, get a handful of Tumbling Dice minis, for what I've seen, they are nicely sculpted metal minis.
zirrian  Hungary

Posted by SamSagace on 04 Sep 2014, 16:29

for the Saxons, STRELETS ones are very good in my opinion: variety of the poses, conversions possibilities, etc..
before battle: here
and the "Anglo-Saxons' are very nice ! PSR link and PSR link (43 poses !! :drool: )
I've not found time to paint them but they are on my to-do list !

of course , Emhar and Revell Saxons are also excellent ! :thumbup:
SamSagace  France
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 09 Sep 2014, 21:27

SamSagace wrote:of course , Emhar and Revell Saxons are also excellent ! :thumbup:

But hard to get.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by SamSagace on 09 Sep 2014, 22:43

SamSagace  France
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Ochoin on 17 Sep 2014, 04:13

Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 02 Oct 2014, 22:16

To bolster my Saxon archers (I need 12 in a "faction") I've used the Airfix Robin Hood bowmen. A little surgery with a knife removed the hoods & swords.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by SKORRA on 03 Oct 2014, 07:40

Hi all,

As we're speaking about SAGA, where can I find nice 1/72 normans (guards, soldiers, knights and light cavalry and crossbowmen)?

The Revell ones are really bad?

Any ideas?
SKORRA  

Posted by Ochoin on 03 Oct 2014, 08:36

SKORRA wrote:Hi all,

As we're speaking about SAGA, where can I find nice 1/72 normans (guards, soldiers, knights and light cavalry and crossbowmen)?

Any ideas?

The Strelets' ones look pretty nice. I'm by no means an unconditional Strelets' fan but I got their Anglo-Saxon sets (Waiting for Battle & Shield Wall) & they're good. The deeply cut detail on the figures cries out to be washed/dipped & the end result is worthwhile.

My A-S faction is facing my predominately Italeri Late Roman faction: beautiful figures. The Strelets don't suffer in comparison.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by zirrian on 03 Oct 2014, 08:53

SKORRA wrote:Hi all,

Any ideas?

The Revell ones are good, but somehow limited in terms of poses. I'd recommend getting a box of HaT El Cid Spanish infantry, that covers most of your needs. If you need some additional figs, either get a box of Revell Normans, as they are similar in style and build, or Tumbling Dice metals. For cavalry, I'd say HaT again, with Tubmling Dice reinforcements. Revell box only has like two mounted man, maybe good for general, but not enough for a unit of heartguards.
zirrian  Hungary

Return to Miniatures Talk