Miniatures Talk

British Infantry 1970`s

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Jan 2014, 13:03

This is the new set now avalable of British Infantry of the 1970`s. I bought them with a view to feature them in a Sci-Fy project that I am creating. However when I first set eyes upon them ,I recognized them as being the scaled down version of one of Britains 1/32 range of Toy Figure`s. Some of which I collect.Don`t let my refurring to these as Toy Soldiers put you off! They are perfectly correct in every detail,and would cover especially anyone wishing to portray troops involved in the Falklands War,or the Secret War in Oman in the early 1970`s involving the British S A S.It is a pitty though that there are only eight poses.They are discribed as being 1/72 scale which would imply 1" figures, but are actually 20mm. Here they are......Image....ImageImage.....ImageThey are perfect little figures,and I have not mentioned the name of the company now producing these,however yes its on the box. With great respect for Benno,I did not wish to break the advertizing rule placed on this Forum.
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 19 Jan 2014, 16:44

Hi Paul, I think this isn't advertising but nice inbox review. Thank you for that.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Jan 2014, 18:26

Thank you Delibor. I have always been one to step on other peoples toes so to speak and upset them. So I did not wish to take liberties and break any rules when deciding to do this little topic.
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Goonerbob on 19 Jan 2014, 20:07

I've got them as well they are great.Got some chieftains to go with them.They may have to fight my esci Warsaw Pact troops in a what if scenario.
Goonerbob  United Kingdom

Posted by David O'Brien on 19 Jan 2014, 21:21

Firstly thanks for going to the trouble of taking those highly informative pics.
For the Falklands they would have worn the windproof jacket which is bulkier and has a hood. The box art looks like the ranges on Dartmoor.
The box mentions Northern Ireland and these figures are feasible for the very earliest involvement before they wore flak jackets or they could be good for the Ulster Defence Regt again before they wore flak jackets. There are quite a lot of model 1/76th scale vehicles of the period of these figures so they could fit in with some interesting dioramas eg training in the UK or with German vehicles. The chap with GMPG would be great for a checkpoint if he carried a rifle but it probably could be modified.
Not many figures in any material of the British army of this period (1970s) so they are very welcome. BTW Plastic soldier review says they are 24mm high and are light tan but yours look like a grey colour and you say 20mm (which is quite a big difference in our scale).

David
David O'Brien  

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Jan 2014, 13:54

Hi David,Thank you for your interest on this topic. Yes I have looked at P S R and 24mm is right. However I measured from the boots up and most are 20mm,but taking in account that these are action poses 24mm would discribe these figures perfectly. Not being my period they look rather tiny thin against my usual Napoleonic range.I remember reading as the one inch model crept up slowly over a period of time,to over 1" they began to measure up from the bottom of the boot to the eye level to determine the scale.Here are a few more pictures.Image.....Image......Image.....Image......Image.....Image.....Image......If you look perhaps you can see why I placed 20mm on these figures. Thank you for your kind words David.......................As you can see I`m not a good painter.I aim for mass view`s from afar!
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by FrankM on 25 Mar 2014, 22:25

I bought a set tp add them with the Revell "Falkland Parachuters" (former Matchbox "NATO Parachuters) and the elderly JB Models (now part of Airfix), like the Land Rovers and the Saxon in 1:76.... after taking a look of the movie "The Wild Geese" . :)
FrankM  Germany

Posted by 172Fixer on 10 Jul 2014, 10:46

They might be meeting Dr. Who, or driving off some Cold War Soviets; but one way or another, I want to game with these! Thanks for the review! :)
172Fixer  United States of America

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Jul 2014, 11:30

You are most welcome, and nice to see your added interest in these figures 172Fixer. Always good to receive good comments from the Land of the Free. I Hope you have enjoyable success gaming with them. My Sci- fi project is on hold at present but still in mind and on my PC,and 350 Atomic Dalek`s await their return to Earth. Have Fun. BB
Beano Boy  England

Return to Miniatures Talk