Miniatures Talk

SMG:s in Airfix German 1/72 sets?

Posted by Jesse on 08 Jan 2014, 11:20

Hi guys!

I guess this is (very?) old topic but still unanswered to me. My first 1/72 set back in the late 80s was Airfix German Infantry (2nd edition - I also had the same set in 1/32) and I never understood what weapon the SMG-gunner standing up firing from his waist was using. Still don't! What SMG is it supposed to be, if any? Any explanation to why Arifx/the sculptor chose that weapon design?

Back then I wanted to have firing figures with the MP38/MP40 as in the movie "Were Eagles Dare" with Clint Eastwood, so my next German set a few years later was Airfix 1/72 Africa Korps, but it still didn't have the MP38/MP40! Still not sure what that SMG is supposed to be either; the MP41, which was the MP40 with a wooden stock? Or the Italian Beretta M38/42?

Next I bought Airfix German Paratroopers, and voila, the MP38 was in there :). What I should have bought in the first place back then was Esci's set German Soldiers! But 1/72 figures were in very short supply were I grew up in Sweden in the 80s/90s, and then we didn't have Internet either...

Cheers!
Jesse  Sweden

Posted by Tantallon2 on 08 Jan 2014, 14:17

Hi: on TMP they reckon it is an MP41:
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=230456

Cannot comment any further as it is well out of my area of expertise!
Tantallon2  Scotland

Posted by Ben Bob on 08 Jan 2014, 16:21

Note the placement of the magazine though. The one in the regular, non-DAK set seems to be a closer match to the Beretta 38:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Beretta_38.jpg

That was just from a quick wikipedia browse, so I am not 100% sure either ;-)
Ben Bob  United States of America

Posted by armpcm on 08 Jan 2014, 16:38

Jesse wrote:I never understood what weapon the SMG-gunner standing up firing from his waist was using. Still don't! What SMG is it supposed to be, if any?

Tantallon2 wrote:Hi: on TMP they reckon it is an MP41

Well this is one hard topic :scratch: here the main problem is the hand grip in front of the chamber and magazine.

To my knowledge :read: the only weapon that used a small hand grip was the Erma EMP submachine guns, but on most of these the magazine is in the horizontal position and inserted from the left side, although one prototype VMP 1930 has a vertical insertion, but the hand grip is on rear of the magazine.

As for the MP41 besides it was a rare weapon during WW2, the problem remains no hand grip at all, but as soon as I arrive home I´ll try to pick up one of those and put it under the lenses to try and see if i can identify the chamber and try to know after all what gun is it.

Jesse wrote:Any explanation to why Arifx/the sculptor chose that weapon design?

Well one cannot know, unless one could now what where the inspirations, information given to the sculptor, so one can only "guess".
armpcm  Portugal

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Jesse on 09 Jan 2014, 15:36

Thanks for the interesting answers!
Maybe the SMG in the German Infantry (2nd ed.) set is based on the Beretta PM12? It's a postwar Italian SMG: http://world.guns.ru/smg/it/beretta-m12-e.html
Jesse  Sweden

Return to Miniatures Talk