Miniatures Talk

2013 a very good year

Posted by tom s on 07 Dec 2013, 23:40

i dont know in terms of 1/72 releases,how this year shapes up.but just my perception is its got to be one of the best in a while.seems every time i turn around theres a bunch more sets coming out that i have to talk myself into getting.now with all the fantasy sets coming out,im starting to convince myself to collect those as well.
heres hoping next year is just as good.
tom s  United States of America

Posted by MABO on 08 Dec 2013, 00:16

Here you can see the annual production. It seems that there was a peek some years ago, but there are still a lot of sets going to be released throughout 2013. :read:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/ShowFeature.aspx?id=27
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by tom s on 08 Dec 2013, 19:53

i had checked that graph,but im not sure how up to date for this year it is.seems like mars has released 78 sets alone this year,lol.

Posted by MABO on 08 Dec 2013, 20:45

But if a lot of them are illegal copies. :spank:
MABO  Europe

Posted by Ochoin on 10 Dec 2013, 10:37

More figures released than I can paint: that equals a good year in my book.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Paul on 10 Dec 2013, 11:51

Mars..ca. 17 sets, all originals
Paul  China

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 10 Dec 2013, 11:59

Don't know about the sets, but it feels that this was a good year. The new forum feels even more friendy than the old one (how that can be possible), but I still miss the signatures in the posts.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by tom s on 10 Dec 2013, 22:33

just curious what you do collect?
i have not purchased any napoleonic french,ww2,or roman sets as well and i still cant keep up.

Posted by tom s on 11 Dec 2013, 01:02

bunch of sets in there id love to see myself.especially the war with mexico,and any renaissance sets that might be produced some day.
but unfortunatly for my wallet,i do like a whole bunch of other eras as well.

Posted by Uwe on 11 Dec 2013, 14:12

hodude wrote: I am the only person on the planet that would buy such sets. Or Battle of San Juan Hill sets. Or Battle of New Orleans US defenders. Or Mexican War Dragoons. Or Old West townsfolk. Or WWII US Navy Seabees.

HI hodude,

I can assure you, you are not the only one interesting in this subjects. I waited for years no to have Caesar bring their long announced 1898 Sets on the market. But I fear this will never be the case. So I started to have them in metal now. As for 1812 there are metals from Kennington, but still the range not really fully covered. The Mexican-American war is another interesting subject. I already finished a book from the 70ies about it last month. The IMEX US infantry can be used with a little bit conversion, but it is a pity that the range wasn't covered up.

Do you collect "only" plastics or are metals an option for you too?
The old Scruby had the Mexican-American war too, but the figures are really ugly...

cheers
Uwe
Uwe  Germany

Verified member from Hagen Miniatures (Sponsor) Verified member from Hagen Miniatures (Sponsor)

Posted by Xantippos on 11 Dec 2013, 18:32

I have to disagree really. At least in my case, (and I have broad interests) not many interesting sets have been released this year (I had big difficulties choosing what sets to buy for my birthday this december).

Maybe I am too exigent, but when I wanted something really different (no more versions from something already made) there was very little choice, and I nearly didn't buy any recent soldiers this year.

I would like to see really a chart showing all the sets released this year, but I think, the only sets released this year I've bought are the RedBox Irish Troops, the Lithuanian Infantry, and the Hungarian and Italian infantry for winter in Stalingrad.

My main interests is ancient (from Sumer to the Fall of Constantinople), then more or less the "Napoleonic" era, which I stretch from 1700 till 1914, and WW2. But I ask to each set that it is really different, depicting some soldiers not depicted before, not terribly similar to some others, and in a way which is not identical to another set (like some Hat sets that seem the same even if they are different nationality/tribe). And that is hard to find.

All the same, if WW1 or Modern are nicely done and very special can interest me too (like the Orion Chechens or Vietcong troops). And I even buy something like Cossacks between Medieval and Napoleonic.....

I just miss the old days where each time I went to the shop, HaT or Caesar had made something like Dacians, or Bedouins, or Chin Infantry, which was never seen before and very special.
Xantippos  

Posted by tom s on 11 Dec 2013, 23:17

i certainly can sympathise.
there was a time when the next set of ww2 germans or napoleonic french whatever came out,i wasnt much of a collector.
the only thing i could hope was that those sets would sell so someone might take a chance on something else.who would have thought that polish renaissance,medieval and 30 years war troops would be so available?maybe next year will see some other, not your run of the mill sets come out.

Posted by Durruti on 17 Dec 2013, 23:07

78 sets eh? Wow would never have thought it. For the first time in many years I haven't bought a single new release. Only sets I bought this year were old ones in discount sales (e.g. Modelzone close down). Would also be interested to see a breakdown of the new releases - do they include Zvezda Art of Tactic? How many were WW2 Germans?
Durruti  

Posted by Ochoin on 19 Dec 2013, 09:21

I think it was a big year for Colonial troops & enemies. Caesar's Mycenaean chariots & Egyptian pharaoh sets were also a highlight. Some rare & much appreciated Napoleonics eg late war Prussian hussars Wurttemburg cavalry were much appreciated.
HaT SYW Prussian infantry!!!!!
I didn't buy a single Strelets' set this year, though.

OK there's been a further avalanche of personally unwanted German WW2 but I still have more figures than I can paint.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Paul on 19 Dec 2013, 10:48

Durruti wrote:78 sets eh?

Now 84 :-)
Paul  China

Posted by Madknight on 23 Dec 2013, 18:07

I guess it just depends. In terms of releases it really was a good year, I still miss Emhar, Italeri and the large-box (and broader themed) Zvezda products, though. Wargaming with and collecting mainly medieval figures, most of my favorite producers have left the building or have gone to ground (see Lucky Toys), even Orion stopped producing. So there's only Valdemar + Caesar for me now as I'm not really interested in the output of such as Strelets or Mars. I might just have to be patient for the next few years......
Madknight  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by tom s on 11 Jan 2014, 16:18

well it seems emhar will finally release their long announced sets this year,according to psr.
first cta,then emhar coming back.2014 is starting out good.

Posted by pontiac on 11 Jan 2014, 21:18

Yeah.. I need Ottawas, Comanche, Cherokee.. Like Barzso 1/32 sets for example! I hope someone manufacture will think to Seminoles or dismounted Apaches and US cavalry. Please, I like Romans and German or Russian soldiers (WW2) but now I have too much!!!
pontiac  Italy

Posted by tom s on 07 Jan 2015, 18:42

so how was your 2014,seemed to have been a good year for what i collect.
new emhar and waterloo 1815 sets,bunch of new alliance fantasy sets,renaissance sets from red box, and even bought a few of the mars releases that didnt look too bad.
hope yours was good as well.

Posted by RCD on 12 Jan 2015, 15:22

Its all depends on what you model. As usual if you are into endless 'Third Reich stuff' .

2014 was the anniversary of the start of the great war - so much was promised but August came and went . Lots of sets were due but a lot of disapppointments with the cancellation of the Airfix sets, (looks like their 40year plus sets will have to sufice!) ,Zvezda, Revell sets actually 1/32 not 1/72.

However, looking at the bright side there are alot of 2014 sets that are late and hopefully will appear in 2015!
RCD  

Next page

Return to Miniatures Talk